VW electric car platform

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbrick

It appears VW is serious about EV's although their current plans show 50% of their early sales to be in China and only 10-20% in the USA.

If you know anything about VW, you know they are big on 'platforms' with many different cars sharing common parts. Even lots of Audi parts are equivalent to VW ones. It will be interesting to see what they produce out of the new MEB platform.

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-engineering-behind-vws-electric-car-pla-1829257860

Makes me think of the original air cooled Beetle. You could literally bolt up a 2003 Mexican, Digifant port injection Beetle engine to a 1940's prototype Beetle with very few modifications.

Maybe engines and EV platforms are apples to oranges, but it reminded me of this anyway.

It will be interesting to see how much compatibility is allowed and how much is disabled due to computer locks, etc. The articles states "VW says even the smallest of the MEB cars will be able to house the largest battery pack" so mechanically it seems like battery upgrades, replacements or updates will be easier than the Nissa's approach, which has a more limited compatibility for off the shelf parts.

Back