Ford announces BEV F150 and Transit van

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
"America's most popular vehicle is going electric. Ford will make an all-electric plugin version of the F-150 pickup truck.
"We're going to be electrifying the F-series — battery electric and hybrid," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, said at a Deutsche Bank conference in Detroit Wednesday... Ford had previously announced it would make a hybrid version of the F-150. The all-electric truck would be in addition to that.Ford also plans to make an all-electric version of the Transit van, Farley said."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/business/electric-ford-f-150/index.html

Interesting. My guess is Ford is feeling threatened by Tesla and doesn't want to give up their "best selling vehicle of all time". Anyway, I'm somewhat skeptical about the execution. What does Ford know about making BEV's? And they'll have to do a large marketing job to get F-150 owners away from their ICE trucks. Not impossible, though.

theothertom said:
What does Ford know about making BEV's?

They made the Ford Focus as a BEV. I didn't pay it a whole lot of mind because I had already focused (no pun intended) on the LEAF, so I don't know how they were to own or operate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Focus_Electric

mwalsh said:
They made the Ford Focus as a BEV. I didn't pay it a whole lot of mind because I had already focused (no pun intended) on the LEAF, so I don't know how they were to own or operate:

In May 2012 there were three models of EVs sold nationwide. The iMiev, the LEAF and the Ford Focus Electric.
I have some fondness for the FFE, as I helped to develop some of the electronics in the car. And got to drive a pre-production car a lot. But it was just too small inside. The wife like the LEAF better. The FFE drove better, other than the SSN bug, which was fixed, No DCQC until much later. Battery chemistry issues with early cars. A well engineered battery cooling system.

I suspect Ford viewed this as a learning experience, and will take the lesions learned to make future Ford EVs better. A step up from a compliance car. I have a lot of respect for Ford's engineering teams and practices.

WetEV said:
I suspect Ford viewed this as a learning experience, and will take the lesions learned to make future Ford EVs better. A step up from a compliance car. I have a lot of respect for Ford's engineering teams and practices.
I remember people saying that about the volt.
That more vehicles like that would become available.
Nope. Tax credits run out and it's over.
They appear to use their thermal management on the bolt and spark EV and that's about it.
Other than that it's shelved.

Lots of mass produced half ton pickups promised since 2008 or so, 0 ever made.

Oilpan4 said:
WetEV said:
I remember people saying that about the volt.
They appear to use their thermal management on the bolt and spark EV and that's about it.
Other than that it's shelved.

Oilpan4 said:

Price of a kWh of battery keeps falling. The energy stored in a Kg of battery keeps rising. Battery chemistry is complex, and as we do more, we learn more, as we learn more we can do more.

The point to the tax credits is kickstart that virtuous cycle. Tax credits are useful today, but will not matter when fully electric cars are cheaper to buy than gasoline cars. With no tax credits. Projections have this by 2025 or so. Total cost of ownership is cheaper for an electric for many cases today. Fuel can be a lot cheaper, depending on local electric rates, less maintenance and more convenient. Electric cars are just better, and just keep getting better.

Fastest car ever up Pike's Peak was an electric. Round the 'Ring? Just a matter of time before an electric owns that record for good as well. Yes, a hybrid took it back. Longer distances? A matter of time, mostly.

https://youtu.be/mcepG9Twa_8

Enjoy your slow, smelly, noisy gasoline golf cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-vFUdeiDU&feature=youtu.be&t=58

I'm glad to see Ford taking this important step! I suspect this announcement is designed for try to freeze out some would-be competitors and that their initial commitment will be a bit lackluster, but I'm still glad to see it.

Hopefully their work on the FFE will pay important dividends in their BEV truck efforts.

Theoretically, the Ford Focus Electric is still available. Forget about trying to buy one unless you live in California. Batteries on earlier models did not do well in Phoenix even with thermal management. There were EV versions of the Transit Connect available for a while in some places (conversions that were supported by Ford, I think). I will be watching for information on the new BEV trucks.

I wasn't talking about electric cars. I was talking about nonexistent electric half ton trucks.

This is just talk, but talk always precedes action so maybe Ford will carry though.
In the meantime it is very important for truck owners to hear from one of their trusted sources that electric trucks are 'OK.'

In the mid Atlantic states I would see grocery getter half ton pickups all the time.
You know pickup truck owners or leasers that still have a pristine bed with no scratches and aren't set up to tow anything. Pretty much drive it around like a car.
Electric pickups would do fine for them.

I honestly never even clicked the article when I saw it pop up on CNBC a few days ago.

I have very little interest in these major manufacturers' announcements of EV vehicles because for many years now they just talk, talk, talk, do nothing. Presumably at some point they will follow-through (?).

An electric Transit van would be great for camping. After plumbing for toilets, redoing the electrical system is the next biggest hassel. The tremendous power generation and storage capability of an EV would eliminate the need for ICE generators, solar panels and big expensive battery banks necessary to run lights, circulation fans, fridges, microwaves and air conditioners.

Undoubtedly another Europe (or non N. America) offering from Ford :(
As one of the commenters to the article said, a Hummer has a better chance of selling here :roll:

I had a Ford Ranger electric in 2000. Had NiMH batteries and a range of up to 80 miles (usually 65). I absolutely loved it. When I remodeled my house I put 1500 lbs of slate flooring in the back and it had no trouble at all pulling it home.
Sadly it was totalled by a semi-truck. Saved my life though.

Back