Official Polestar 2 topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

To be introduced tomorrow. IEVS has an article:
How Polestar 2 Compares With Tesla Model 3
https://insideevs.com/polestar-2-compare-tesla-model-3/

The Tesla Model 3 broke a lot of new ground when it first started rolling from the company’s Fremont factory in 2017. And while it has served as a yardstick for electric offerings from other manufacturers, it hasn’t faced any direct competitors. Until now. Tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM EST, the first all-electric from Polestar cometh. (We will carry the reveal livestream here on InsideEVs). . . .

Now that a solid alternative to Model 3 is on its way — the company has stated outright that it “is designed to compete with Tesla Model 3” — we thought now would be a good time to compare the two cars. . . .

Both cars are four-door sedans of similar size. Though the Polestar 2 is sometimes referred to as a fastback, it appears from the overhead view revealed on the car’s app, that it, like the Model 3, will have a trunk and not a hatch. We would be happy to be wrong about that, though. Also noticeable from this image is the large panel of glass that covers the passenger compartment of the 2. Model 3, of course, also has a glass roof, which is awesome.

As for range and price, the competitors seem to be very much in the same ballpark. The Polestar 2 should have an EPA-rated range in the 300-mile neighborhood, maybe slightly higher. For its part, the Model 3 is currently available in two battery configurations: Mid and Long Range, yielding an EPA-rated 264 miles and 310 miles, respectively. The Polestar price range is rumored to cover a wide swath — $40,000 to $65,000. Similarly, the Tesla currently ranges from $42,900 for the rear-wheel-drive Mid Range to $60,900 for the Long Range Performance.

Speaking of performance, it seems the Polestar 2 will be no slouch. We suspect it will borrow the 135-kW (181-horsepower) motors from the Polestar 1 and so in the all-wheel-drive configuration should boast about 400 peak horsepower. The top spec Model 3 offers 450 horsepower and 471 pound-feet of torque, so performance-wise, the 2 should be pretty close. . . .

At 50,000 units a year, production numbers for the 2 are not nearly as ambitious as they are for the Model 3. Tesla delivered 139,782 copies of the mid-size sedan in 2018 and expects to increase that figure over the next couple of years. If the Polestar 2 manages to capture the imagination of customers in a similar manner, we could see higher production in the coming years, but unless there is a substantially increased investment in battery supply, we’re not sure it will approach that sort of volume any time soon.

Finally, styling wise, the vehicles have similar philosophies, though with different execution. The Tesla Model 3 has soft exterior lines and carries some styling cues over from the Model S and Model X. It is known for its spare-but-comfortable interior that features a single display touch screen in the center of the dash.

Judging from the teaser images, the exterior lines of the Polestar 2 will be more crisp, and carry cues from the Polestar 1. We can only imagine the interior will also be somewhat spare, though stylish, with a “Scandinavian” feel. Though aesthetics are a very subjective thing, we expect we’ll like it very much — possibly more than the Model 3 which, to this writer at least, lacks a certain spark in the passenger compartment. . . .

Revealed yesterday. I don't care for the looks (It looks like something that Dodge might do on an off day) and I think the Model 3 wins that, but although a bit smaller than the M3 it's a hatch rather than a sedan, so more versatile. More at
Polestar 2: Diving Into The Electric Car’s Details
https://insideevs.com/polestar-2-dive-details/ and
Tesla Model 3 vs. Polestar 2: How the two electric cars compare
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-polestar-2-how-the-two-electric-cars-compare

Due to arrive July 2020 (Calif. first), and appears to have a normal dash plus largish vertically-oriented touchscreen to the right. Range will apparently fall in between the M3 MR and LR, about 275 miles. Base price 39,900 euros, high end AWD version only for first year will cost 59,900 euros, $63k here. Configuration page here, so you can check out some of the options: https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/configurator/534EDPI1E00001900RFA000_00000__R14B

LeftieBiker said:
I prefer the looks of the Volvo, and I hate Chrylser's styling - maybe excepting the retro Challenger.
Can't say I care for the looks of P2 or M3, but with the exception of the Juke and a few other outrages to aesthetics (no others that far gone come immediately to mind, to be honest), rejecting a car based on its exterior looks would only happen for me AOTBE, and they never are.

GRA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I prefer the looks of the Volvo, and I hate Chrylser's styling - maybe excepting the retro Challenger.
Can't say I care for the looks of P2 or M3, but with the exception of the Juke and a few other outrages to aesthetics (no others that far gone come immediately to mind, to be honest), rejecting a car based on its exterior looks would only happen for me AOTBE, and they never are.

The Volvo also looks to me like a more practical car: more headroom in the rear, and a hatchback.

LeftieBiker said:
The Volvo also looks to me like a more practical car: more headroom in the rear, and a hatchback.
Second it, this is the only EV I am going to consider to replace my aging, but in excellent order ICE sedan. It has low drag, fast back and passenger comfort close to ICE car. Hopefully Volvo rated range at low end, so it would overdeliver, but I would not bet on it. Will see, once it is released...

Here is another version of the story with more photos

The Polestar 2 comes with adjustable air suspension, and the infotainment and interior systems run on Android Auto OS. It also will support the phone based Android Auto and CarPlay shells.

Polestar2-02.jpeg

I 'm going to be the range ends up being less and on the highway much worse. At least they have a compliance car with credits. Plenty of Volvo buyers in the Bay Area to fill all the production demand.

I agree, it does kind of look like a dodge...maybe that will appear to the US muscle car owners??

In any case, between this, Byton, and the 100 other EV's coming to market, is that they are all very late.

Every month Tesla eats more of the Premium car segment. GM, Nissan, and other continue to get a few scraps (at least in the US, Europe).

Internationally, its a bit crazier though.

Yep. Looks like a Dodge Avenger for the side. Do a Google image search for dodge avenger 2008 side.

I haven't bothered following this as I wouldn't consider this car. I have no idea what their projections are but I doubt we'll see sustained US sales of more than 250/month. I'd be very surprised if they can sustain 500/month in the US.

I suspect awareness of this car and brand are extremely low in the US and would be best known by Volvo enthusiasts.

Whether it be Volvo or Jaguar,
GM, or BMW a company is going to have to go all in to truly compete with Tesla. That’s the required bet as it will take nearly all of a companies resources to compete now. Most of not all large companies don’t have the stomach for that, and would prefer to instead accept the slow death which waits for them out of inaction.

Great. Another Model S / X competitor. I guess it means that they $60k+ auto market is likely to become fully electrified relatively soon. In order to compete, you almost have to go electric.

But for those of us who wish to see large overall EV market share, this is just another niche vehicle with minimal real impact.

DougWantsALeaf said:
No Chicago?
Yes, it would be a good place. I would suggest to monitor this page - they may add the location, or maybe even send they an email with suggestion for new location. Originally they only planned 4 locations total in US and Canada, now we have many more.

I would probably visit DC showing, mostly because of Maryland has free Fast DC charging stations along Rt 95.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I agree, it does kind of look like a dodge...maybe that will appear to the US muscle car owners??

In any case, between this, Byton, and the 100 other EV's coming to market, is that they are all very late.

Every month Tesla eats more of the Premium car segment. GM, Nissan, and other continue to get a few scraps (at least in the US, Europe).

Internationally, its a bit crazier though.

Here is an update on the Byton

So is it much bigger than the leaf, kona, niro or is it really bad on aerodynamics?

Because they are suggesting a 72 kWh battery is good for 224 miles.
Unless they are holding a lot in reserve, it seems like it should go further.
Same with their 95 pack that they are guessing at 270 miles.

Anyone have a table that has battery size versus rated distance for all the current EVs?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/10/20858416/byton-m-byte-production-frankfurt-motor-show-2019

From Slickdeals, I found out about test drives where you either go somewhere for a test drive or they bring one to you.

https://www.polestar.com/us/test-drive/booking/select-location?location-type&model=ps2

For the latter:
The starting point of your test drive can be your home, your work or any other location within the Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York metro areas, as well as around Suffolk and Fairfield County. Once your test drive is confirmed, we'll bring the Polestar 2 to you.

Back