Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Tesla will unveil Model Y on March 14, 2019.

Model Y unveil event on March 14 at LA Design Studio

Model Y, being an SUV, is about 10% bigger than Model 3, so will cost about 10% more & have slightly less range for same battery

Detailed specs & pricing will be provided, as well as test rides in Y

Via: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/model-y-pull-quotes-from-q4-q-a.11099/
"transcript from the Tesla Q4 Q&A and pulled out all the relevant Model Y portions."

Elon Musk on New Products:

“In terms of the new products, with Model Y, we've completed ensuring of end design of Model Y, and the parts are - the tooling is going out for production Model Y. Three quarters [75%] of the Model Y is common with the Model 3, so it's a much lower CapEx per vehicle than Model 3. And the risk is also quite low.
I would expect Model Y will probably be - the demand for Model Y will be maybe 50% higher than Model 3, could be even double. The - as I understand it, the midsized SUV segment is the - worldwide is the most popular type of vehicle. So we'll probably see a higher volume of Y than 3.”
Elon Musk on where Model Y will be produced:

"As I mentioned earlier, the Model Y, we think, most likely will be produced at Gigafactory, but that's - unless we encounter some obstacle - that's the default plan that we're proceeding towards. And it's fast, low risk and also low CapEx. In terms of the - I mean, probably there's like initial production of Model Y, very low volume, probably next year.

But then it always takes time to ramp up any production system, and that's difficult to predict the shape of that S-curve. So we feel confident in saying there will be production volume of Model Y by the end of next year, but in between beginning of next year with low volume, it always starts with very low growth exponentially - from beginning of last year to end of next year, it's difficult to break that ramp. So that's our expectation for Y."

Manufacturing Efficiency:

Deepak Ahuja, "The other aspect of this, Elon, which we've been doing extremely well, is capital efficiency. We have dramatically cut back on capital expense, and we are spending it in a very efficient manner. We talked about it in the letter on Model 3 and Gigafactory Shanghai. We talked about it for Model Y. There are just so many learnings that we are incorporating, and we just want to beat what we did with Model 3 and the kind of spending we had for the returns we got."

Elon Musk, "Absolutely. I mean, we're confident that our CapEx per unit of production for Shanghai factory and for Model Y will be less than half of what we did for Model 3. Internally, we think it might be a quarter but that's probably too good to believe, but it's definitely less than half."

evnow said:

Model Y, being an SUV, is about 10% bigger than Model 3, so will cost about 10% more & have slightly less range for same battery

10% would make it 203" in length, so bigger than the Model X ?!? longer than our Odyssey minivan. I would expect it to be around 190 -195"

KeiJidosha said:
evnow said:

10% would make it 203" in length, so bigger than the Model X ?!? longer than our Odyssey minivan. I would expect it to be around 190 -195"

"Bigger" not 10% longer.

I think it is 10% taller and it would be great as they can raise seats off the floor literally when referring to Model 3 seating. This was one of the major detractor for me - low seat height in front and ever worse on the back.

L x W x H = 10% more

So if the size increase was applied equally in each dimension, it would be about 3.2% longer, wider, and taller.

It would not be 10% more in each dimension as that would = 33% bigger.

Being a crossover, most to all of the 10% bigger size will likely be applied to height.

KeiJidosha said:
10% could be weight or volume or … ?

I expect Y to be the size of X5 (like 3 is like BMW 5 series) or may be between X3 and X5.

https://twitter.com/ikichullo/status/1102340234946043904 has reply indicating it will have "normal" doors, not falcon wing doors. Whew. That should be a huge relief from a reliability POV, otherwise the Y could possibly be another reliability disaster like the X.

KeiJidosha said:
evnow said:

I think the intent is for 10% greater volume, and I expect most of that to be height. The detail I found most interesting is that Tesla expects the Model Y to have close to the fuel economy of the Model 3. That is *awesome.*

If a heated steering wheel of (M3 doesn't have it) + higher ride height + higher 2nd row seating position + $40K starting price can happen before Kia Niro EV becomes truly available, then this could be a winner in my view.

But if the estimated true availability is not until 2020, then Tesla's tax credit will be gone completely...and the Kia Niro EV becomes a very good value (besides driving dynamics + OTA updates, etc).

EVDRIVER said:
"Bigger" not 10% longer.
Leaf15 said:
I think it is 10% taller and it would be great as they can raise seats off the floor literally when referring to Model 3 seating. This was one of the major detractor for me - low seat height in front and ever worse on the back.
iPlug said:
L x W x H = 10% more
So if the size increase was applied equally in each dimension, it would be about 3.2% longer, wider, and taller.
It would not be 10% more in each dimension as that would = 33% bigger.
Being a crossover, most to all of the 10% bigger size will likely be applied to height.
evnow said:
I expect Y to be the size of X5 (like 3 is like BMW 5 series) or may be between X3 and X5.
SageBrush said:
I think the intent is for 10% greater volume, and I expect most of that to be height. The detail I found most interesting is that Tesla expects the Model Y to have close to the fuel economy of the Model 3. That is *awesome.*
I clearly missed the Cubed Root volume thing :oops:

BMW X5/Audi Q5 seem like a logical target. Audi e-tron SUV turned out Q7 size with Q5 cargo volume. Need more "U" in an SUV/CUV. I'm really hoping Model Y will work for me as I'd really like Supercharger access. Hatchback without Falcon doors is encouraging. Look forward to the reveal.

No buzz after the unveil?

Anyone want to make any bets or guesses on whether they'll meet their dates and prices as outlined in a slide at https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1122097_2020-tesla-model-y-first-details-300-mile-electric-suv-starting-around-48k and https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/tesla-model-y-electric-suv-unveil/?

Judging by Tesla's track record, I suspect they'll be late on all of them, esp. the $39K "standard range"... and who knows if it'll be $39K by Spring 2021 or whenever? Maybe they'll have to increase the price before it comes out.

Until they can get it into production it seems like little more than model 3 cannibalism, except to the extent it gets the backlog in place. Did they even say where it will be manufactured?
I thought the reveal event was amateur hour with Musk yukking it up with every audience shout out. There was no bamboo steamer in the event, just stuff that was predictable.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Until they can get it into production it seems like little more than model 3 cannibalism, except to the extent it gets the backlog in place. Did they even say where it will be manufactured?
I thought the reveal event was amateur hour with Musk yukking it up with every audience shout out. There was no bamboo steamer in the event, just stuff that was predictable.

I had to reply to this and ask: "what do you mean by bamboo steamer?" (Is this some slang??? :) )

cwerdna said:

Anyone want to make any bets or guesses on whether they'll meet their dates and prices as outlined in a slide at https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1122097_2020-tesla-model-y-first-details-300-mile-electric-suv-starting-around-48k and https://electrek.co/2019/03/14/tesla-model-y-electric-suv-unveil/?

Judging by Tesla's track record, I suspect they'll be late on all of them, esp. the $39K "standard range"... and who knows if it'll be $39K by Spring 2021 or whenever? Maybe they'll have to increase the price before it comes out.

I'm glad they were able to offer the 3rd row (however small). It's always helpful especially with families with kids. Pricing looks good...assuming they can keep it that way (as they recently have been changing prices every 2 weeks!). Timing though...I take with a huge grain of salt. I hope this forces Kia to be increase production and lower their prices.

Just a big yawn! The MY is just a lower cost MX, as is the M3 a lower cost MS. Leave it to Tesla to be incompetent in its product strategies.

So far as I can tell in comparison to the 3, the Y is quite a bit bigger car, the AWD is aggressively priced, the driver sit in a more SUV like pose, and due to the hatchback design access and dimensions are much improved -- all things the quintessential suburban Mom demand. Unclear to me for now is whether there is more ground clearance.

I think it will be *the* car to bring EV to 10% market penetration in Europe and the USA.

jdcbomb said:
what do you mean by bamboo steamer?
It's the last knife you'll ever need, and if you order now we'll throw in this set of six steak knives!

Part of the classic Ron Popeil-esque informercial sales pitch, throwing in extra stuff at the end to sweeten the deal (although I'm not sure RP ever offered the bamboo steamer). I think folks were hoping for some extra surprise last night. Instead it was pretty much what everyone expected in an anticlimactic ending to a rather tedious history lesson. It's like EM lost his mojo.

cwerdna said:

Tough to buzz when doubled over in laughter. Elon really needs to stop doing these presentations. I figured to tune in 20 mins late thinking he would just be getting to the car and the show hadn't even started!

But the car is all it was hyped to be and will easily blow the T3 sales record out of the water but lets not make this more than it is and that is recovering the cash they lost on their interest payment two weeks ago.

Back