User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:11 am

More news outlets picking up the pricing info ...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150805/OEM05/150809891/audi-prices-a3-e-tron-plug-in-hybrid-from-$38825

Would check to see what kind of plug it uses ...

The A3 e-tron’s battery pack can be recharged with a standard 120-volt household plug in about 8 hours or in a little more than 2 hours from a 240-volt home charging station made by Bosch Automotive Service Solutions that customers can buy as an extra.

although this photo from one sold in the UK appears to show J1772's should work ...

Image

I do like the fact that its up front versus either on the sides as that works best for my garage EVSE
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

GRA
Posts: 9250
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:45 pm

redLEAF wrote:More news outlets picking up the pricing info ...

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150805/OEM05/150809891/audi-prices-a3-e-tron-plug-in-hybrid-from-$38825

Would check to see what kind of plug it uses ... <snip>

Presumably, it will be equipped with J1772 on this side of the pond, and Menneke's Type 2 on the other.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Audi3 e-tron driving experience, cities and dates coming up ... appear to be mostly downtown city locations (at least Chicago is); I'm going to see if my son is interested; we already own two cars from the VW/Audi family (Golf R and Touareg) but I'm also quite interested in this new line of e-trons; both PHEV and EV's if/when they make it to the US. I'm sure this will simply be a loop around the city but we'll see!

Image



http://etron.audiexperience.us/?csref=crm-email-p-08_15-enews_Tour
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

GRA
Posts: 9250
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:16 pm

redLEAF wrote:Audi3 e-tron driving experience, cities and dates coming up ... appear to be mostly downtown city locations (at least Chicago is); I'm going to see if my son is interested; we already own two cars from the VW/Audi family (Golf R and Touareg) but I'm also quite interested in this new line of e-trons; both PHEV and EV's if/when they make it to the US. I'm sure this will simply be a loop around the city but we'll see!

Image



http://etron.audiexperience.us/?csref=crm-email-p-08_15-enews_Tour

I'm considering driving one when the come to S.F., but the lack of a Quattro version is disappointing.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Had yesterday off so attended the Chicago event in the early AM before it got too hot ... They had the cars (it looks the best in red IMO) parked right at the intersection of Michigan and Madison so lots of foot traffic; too bad that there is so much road construction downtown but they made the most of it. Inside they had some fairly decent tech set up to feature the new engine and battery tech being used. They also had a virtual reality drive in Recaro car seats that was kind of cool (can't wear glasses using it so a bit fuzzy for me).

As far as the A3 e-tron, quite nice, excellent interior materials, the MMI was pretty easy to use and despite how quiet our LEAF's are this Audi takes things to another level. The car is quite quick and pretty seamless as it switches between driving modes (all electric, combo gas/electric, charging the battery mode, etc.) , handles like an Audi should and in this 'sport back' mode, offers a bit more rear seat headroom over the A3 sedan plus some more cargo space.

It's not cheap, but then it's not in Tesla territory either, love the newer style front end grills that all the new Audis are sporting and like most German mfg's, these are solid, love the 'thunk' when closing the doors, etc.

Would I buy one ... well, the estimated 30 miles on 100% electric is more like 10 to 15 in highway driving, perhaps a bit more in stop & go traffic, as always YMMV. The neat trick it has is that the gas engine can charge up the battery while you're driving and the regen is adjustable on your driving mode and may be similar to what people have experienced on an i3 (to some degree); at least more aggressive than my '12 LEAF. If I could reliably get a true 29 to 30 miles on my daily commute, it could go all week without ever using gas, I'd not expect that on really hot or cold days with snow, but perhaps it's not quite there yet.

Also, ideally I'd like something perhaps just a bit bigger and would miss the higher ride height I've got with my trip car so plan to wait to see how they tweak this on the Q7 e-tron. It's Audi's first in the U.S. that's a plug-in so we'll see ... any one else take the drive, the guys who road with us just came from the NYC event so perhaps someone out east took advantage?

Overall, this was a well run event, the car offers another choice we didn't have before, I'm sure we'll have even more options as long as there is enough interest; in light of the cheap gas prices I'm sure they may question their timing but let's face it, eventually gas prices will go back up but that may postpone some mfg.'s from releasing some models we've only seen prototypes of.

Audi rep's say we should see these next month, hopefully they will tempt even more people considering PHEV's; if you enjoy driving, it's worth checking out.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:56 am

Starting to make the rounds with car mags; recent production model test with AW:

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/audi-a3-e-tron-first-drive#ixzz3q3y3GWkc

'real world' -- only 15 to 17 miles is disappointing
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

GRA
Posts: 9250
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:24 pm

redLEAF wrote:Starting to make the rounds with car mags; recent production model test with AW:

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/audi-a3-e-tron-first-drive#ixzz3q3y3GWkc

'real world' -- only 15 to 17 miles is disappointing

I think it's quite reasonable, and those appear to be lead-footed auto journalist miles, not EPA miles: http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/20 ... MILES.html

Let's see, that's 43.1% of trips are 3 miles or less, 50.3% are 4 or less, 57.6% are 5 or less, 76.2% are 10 or less, 85% are 15 or less, and 89.9% are 20 or less, leaving just 10.1% over 20 miles, and 83.5% of those trips are by personal vehicle (i.e. not public transit, walking, biking): http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/20 ... TRANS.html
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
redLEAF
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:53 pm

GRA wrote:
redLEAF wrote:Starting to make the rounds with car mags; recent production model test with AW:

http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/audi-a3-e-tron-first-drive#ixzz3q3y3GWkc

'real world' -- only 15 to 17 miles is disappointing

I think it's quite reasonable, and those appear to be lead-footed auto journalist miles, not EPA miles: http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/20 ... MILES.html

Let's see, that's 43.1% of trips are 3 miles or less, 50.3% are 4 or less, 57.6% are 5 or less, 76.2% are 10 or less, 85% are 15 or less, and 89.9% are 20 or less, leaving just 10.1% over 20 miles, and 83.5% of those trips are by personal vehicle (i.e. not public transit, walking, biking): http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/20 ... TRANS.html


I'm actually just about at the 'normal' daily work commute of about 15 miles each way, M - F but don't have the option to charge at work so unless it could get through say 3 out of our 4 seasons with a consistent 30 miles per charge simply won't work; we'll see how these do but this range is about half (31 miles on the EU circuit) so still disappointing, at least for me.
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 RWD; EAP; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

pkulak
Posts: 758
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:08 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2013
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 pm

Yeah. 15 miles would be a huge disappointment. Isn't the PIP 11 miles? And that thing is a joke. I do about 30 miles a day, and I'm not sure I'm cool with doing fully half my miles on gas. I'll reserve judgement until the official EPA numbers come out, though. Even if it only has 6 kWh useable (which seems super low), that would only be 2.5 m/kWh! I just don't see how that's possible.

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11442
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Official Audi A3 e-tron thread

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 pm

GRA wrote:Let's see, that's 43.1% of trips are 3 miles or less, 50.3% are 4 or less, 57.6% are 5 or less, 76.2% are 10 or less, 85% are 15 or less, and 89.9% are 20 or less, leaving just 10.1% over 20 miles, and 83.5% of those trips are by personal vehicle (i.e. not public transit, walking, biking): http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/20 ... TRANS.html

You have to be careful about "trips".

If I drop & pickup kids on my way to work, my 20 mile round trip looks like 4 trips about 5 miles (or whatever depending on where the kids go).
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”