leaf power is comparable to gas vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5k3pt1c

This is why the Leaf is superior:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/08/nissan-electric-leaf/

"Mark Perry, Nissan’s director of product planning, said the cost per mile is 4 cents if you figure gas is four bucks a gallon, electricity is 14 cents a kilowatt hour and you drive 15,000 miles a year. Compare that to the 13 cents a mile you’ll pay in a car that gets 30 mpg. Perry says the car will cost about 90 cents to charge if you plug it in off-peak.
The pack provides juice to an AC motor that produces 80 kilowatts (107 horsepower) — roughly what the Honda Fit puts down. The motor also cranks out 207 pound-feet of torque — impressive, given that the 3.5-liter V6 available in the Altima produces 258. The prototype we drove was snappy off the line, so the Leaf should be no slouch in traffic. Top speed is limited to 90 mph."

And at least it doesn't look too goofy like other EV cars. It's going to outta my price range tho...

I agree with the author bellow, but i still think that the range could be better than only 100 miles. Look at the east german trabant EV that will arrive in 2010, it can reach 150 miles with one full charge. Nissan could have done better on the range issue. Or at least provide an option for an extended range for those willing to pay a bit more...

From the looks of pictures of the Trabant EV, the Leaf is more spacious inside. If you added more batteries you could get the distance, but you'd sacrifice interior space, adn the overall vehicle weight could make it handle differently.

Don't you think the Leaf is mainly for in-city commuters anyways? Would an increase from 100 mile range to 120 mile range really convince that many more people it's worthwhile?

Yeah Prius, know what you mean about sacrificing the interior space with extra batteries.
100 mile range should do it for an every day commute of about 70km. Me and my wife have already registered on a pre-waiting list (in Japan thou) to get this beauty as soon as the first one becomes available. With enough charging stations around the country you could take this beauty for a cross country ride and all that for, ahem, pennies lol...

They're letting people pre-register in Japan? I don't think they are taking orders for the Nissan Leaf in Canada yet, and it's supposed to be here in 2010!

Why are we always so far behind on everything? Our fashion comes years late from Europe, our electronics come years late from Asia, and now our electriv vehicles!

Back