SmartElectric

Re: Official smart fortwo electric drive thread

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 pm

AndyH wrote:Not new testing, though, as the smarts being tested are 2014 models and testing began almost a year ago. While I look forward to seeing their results from the two AZ cars, we've had a number of them on Texas roads for a bit over a year now and there's been no noticeable range loss so far. So far, so good!

The 2015 Smart ED is unchanged from 2014.

See this post for an example of MB battery test results on customer car showing 2.6% potential loss of range in one year.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... ost1062778

Personally, my Smart ED is perfect, not a hint of any issues in 1.5 years, and there's no way to know if I've lost range, as I always recharge to 100% nightly, and have never run out no noticed any reduction that can't be explained by weather or my heavy right foot. ;-)

AndyH

Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:35 pm

SmartElectric wrote:
AndyH wrote:Not new testing, though, as the smarts being tested are 2014 models and testing began almost a year ago. While I look forward to seeing their results from the two AZ cars, we've had a number of them on Texas roads for a bit over a year now and there's been no noticeable range loss so far. So far, so good!

The 2015 Smart ED is unchanged from 2014.

That appears to be true. ;)

SmartElectric wrote:See this post for an example of MB battery test results on customer car showing 2.6% potential loss of range in one year.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... ost1062778

Personally, my Smart ED is perfect, not a hint of any issues in 1.5 years, and there's no way to know if I've lost range, as I always recharge to 100% nightly, and have never run out no noticed any reduction that can't be explained by weather or my heavy right foot. ;-)

I hear you about the right foot - this thing's really fun and I'm having trouble practicing efficient driving. ;)

Thanks for the link - didn't see that last time I scanned that forum. It looks like that owner had about 75 cycles. The LiTec chart seems to show an initial drop, then a 'break in' climb in capacity to around 300 cycles, before capacity starts to fall off. It'll be interesting to see if he loses some of that 2.x% next year.
LiTec Powerpoint eloder referenced earlier

As mine is just a month old, I think I'll see if I can get a 'starting' battery check. I guess it's time to see what the local EV tech likes to drink. :D
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:59 am

Although we passed on a smart ED as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, we did trade-in our '08 passion coupe for a '14 passion cabrio and the MBZ rep had mentioned that when we bring the smart in for service, they'll give us a Mercedes as a loaner ... perhaps the CA area dealer's have taken this a step further and provided loaners for smart ED or ICE driver's who need to travel farther than its range or just as an option when you need more room. We saw this while on a trip out to Sonoma Wine country this past week; may check out this perk on our next service but would be a big plus to any new smart car owner (ICE or EV) if its more widely available:

2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2017) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

UBUYGAS
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 am

I kinda of Fit in a #SMARTEV

https://transportevolved.com/2015/03/21 ... n-a-crowd/

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 11.02.51 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do you know the EV RULES?

Learn them today by clicking here: http://EV-RULES.com

AndyH

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:15 pm

From ^^^

The Smart Electric Drive is so easy to wash. Sometimes I forget whether I have washed all sides of the car as, it takes so little time to get round the car, I always think I must have forgotten bits.

Smart + "adult-onset ADD" (that's what I'm calling it :P ) = extra walks around the car with a wet rag. :lol:
2018 Outlander PHEV
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

jhm614
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:18 pm

AndyH wrote:Smart + "adult-onset ADD" (that's what I'm calling it :P ) = extra walks around the car with a wet rag. :lol:

Ya gotta knock off all the Smart Car EV talk. You are making me jealous! What kind of highway range are you getting? Any idea on how it would compare to a Leaf?
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

AndyH

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:20 pm

jhm614 wrote:
AndyH wrote:Smart + "adult-onset ADD" (that's what I'm calling it :P ) = extra walks around the car with a wet rag. :lol:

Ya gotta knock off all the Smart Car EV talk. You are making me jealous! What kind of highway range are you getting? Any idea on how it would compare to a Leaf?

So far 80 miles is easy with a mix of 65 mph and local driving. I haven't yet jumped on I10 and done an 'all highway' range test, nor have I discharged below 18% yet.

Aside from the ability to fast charge (not available in San Antonio or on the smart), the number of seats, and differences between typical Japanese and Euro car handling/steering wheel feel, the Leaf would probably have room for a rifle case in the back. ;)

;)
2018 Outlander PHEV
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

GRA

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:59 pm

AndyH wrote:Aside from the ability to fast charge (not available in San Antonio or on the smart), the number of seats, and differences between typical Japanese and Euro car handling/steering wheel feel, the Leaf would probably have room for a rifle case in the back. ;)

;)
Okay, now we know you're a real Texan, not one of the Austin faux variety! When will you be installing the (appropriately sized so as not to exceed the car's width) longhorns on the hood or grill? https://www.google.com/search?q=longhor ... 1024%3B550

:D
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

AndyH

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:13 pm

GRA wrote:Okay, now we know you're a real Texan, not one of the Austin faux variety! When will you be installing the (appropriately sized so as not to exceed the car's width) longhorns on the hood or grill? <snip>

:D

I don't know what kind of critters y'all have over there on the left coast, but down here bumblebees don't have horns. ;) :lol:

2018 Outlander PHEV
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

GRA

Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”