edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:47 am

More on Nissan's BEVx plans reported below.

It's probably too much to hope that the report is wrong about it using petrol as fuel.

As I mentioned in MY OP four years ago, IMO gasoline is a poor choice for fueling a rang-extended BEV.

It's pathetic that the public is so convinced that gasoline is desirable, that no BEVx manufacturer may consider using a superior fuel.

Wacky Gripz concept (vaguely) previews Nissan's next compact SUV – and its range-extender tech

...As we reported last week, Nissan will unveil its first range-extending EV as early as 2016, but it won’t be the next LEAF, so unless it’s a dedicated new ‘green’ model, the JUKE EV could be revealed earlier than expected next year.

Effectively an electric vehicle incorporating an onboard engine to power the batteries but not drive the wheels, the ‘REV’ will combine the LEAF’s large-capacity electric motor with a small-capacity petrol engine that acts as a generator to charge the batteries when they run down...

http://www.motoring.com.au/nissan-to-to ... ke-100484/
no condition is permanent

Roostre
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 016655

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:33 am

As bad as gas is, maybe the EREV path is the case of "not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good".

Manufacturers perspective; transmissions can be replaced with Electric versions with low failure rates relatively inexpensively. Mate the new technology to the ICE they understand.

Consumers perspective; Looks, drives and acts like a normal car, but if I plug it in I can get 70-200 mpg of gasoline.

As costs come down many will have their eyes opened to the fact that a BEV is all they need. Especially as BEV's get better and less expensive. At some tipping point the BEV becomes standard and the ICE addition is viewed as an unnecessary expense and wasteful.

That said, I have a range extender project in mind that I plan on prototyping this spring. Initial component purchases are happening now. As it is designed with carrying the LEAF in mind, I am calling it the Ant. Efficiency should be very high as it takes a very different approach from anything I've read about to date.
Caretaker of 2 Leafs:
WifeLeaf: 2012 SL First bar gone on 11/1/2015 @ 28,400miles -still more than adequate for the job.
DaughterLeaf: 2013 SV 12,500 miles (SOH=90%)

GRA

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Via GCC:
New SAE International symposium on range extenders for electric vehicles
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04 ... 1-rex.html

SAE International will hold a new two-day symposium in Knoxville, Tennessee on 2-3 November 2016 on range extenders for electric vehicles (REX).

. . . “Range Extenders for Electric Vehicles” will include sessions on policy and regulation driving the design and implementation of prime movers for REX applications; unique and advanced prime movers (e.g., fuel cell stacks as well as engines); recent powertrain advances for enabling REX; infrastructure role on range extender options; and the future of REX from a prime mover perspective. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun

Mon May 09, 2016 8:02 am

Nice to see work is continuing on future BEVx generators designs, and I can see how linear generators could produce much improved efficiency...eventually

But can we please see a manufacturer put a BEVx with a correctly-sized (~10 kW) generator on the market soon?

Toyota R&D continues work on free piston linear generators for EVs; novel resonant pendulum control method

6 May 2016

In 2014, a team at Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc. published two SAE papers on their work in developing a prototype 10 kW Free Piston Engine Linear Generator (FPEG) for B/C segment electric vehicles. (Earlier post.) The FPEG consists of a two-stroke combustion system, a linear generator, and a gas spring chamber; the unit offers potential for compact build, high efficiency and high fuel flexibility.

Now, the Toyota researchers report on a new FPEG control method to realize stable and flexible piston motion control for efficient electric power generation...

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05 ... afpeg.html

edatoakrun

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:21 am

Another report on free piston tech, indicating the large potential efficiency gains that might result from generating electricity directly from piston movement, rather than running the same energy through a crankshaft.

The thermal efficiency claims below are impressive:

Korea team investigates characteristics of SI dual-piston free-piston engine linear generator

28 June 2016

Researchers from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) and Korea Institute of Energy Research (KIER) have developed and are investigating the characteristics of a prototype of a dual-piston spark-ignition (SI) free-piston engine coupled with a linear alternator for electric power generation. Their paper is published in the journal Fuel...

Free-piston engines support multi-fuel combustion and the use of advanced combustion technologies such as HCCI. One study cited by the Korea researchers found that a free-piston engine with a high compression ratio up to 30:1, auto-ignited fuels with high octane number, such as propane or natural gas, reaching an indicated thermal efficiency of 56%...

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06 ... kaist.html

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 am

Hit the big time as I saw it trending on FaceBook a little while ago ... "you Nissan BEV-only or die" hardcore folks must have migraines after all the Volt Gen1 and I3 w/ICE comments in the past several years.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/N3JEkRg.png

P.S. Had a nice roadtrip in my BEV last weekend to MI. Supercharger in St Joesph worked out great. Looking forward to a roadtrip to WI and then a ferry east across Lake Michigan and then come back via MI and IN. Wife is getting over 60 miles in her Gen2 Volt. Kid is enjoying the old Gen1 Volt driving back and forth to summer classes. Mixture is good for all.
80K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

edatoakrun

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:50 am

scottf200 wrote:Hit the big time as I saw it trending on FaceBook a little while ago ... "you Nissan BEV-only or die" hardcore folks must have migraines after all the Volt Gen1 and I3 w/ICE comments in the past several years....

You might want to read the thread on this subject.

My OP on page one of this thread is quoted there:

The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 am

...a true ICE ”range extender” for a BEV is not a bad Idea, It's just that current designs are all abysmal failures, from the point of energy efficiency and driver utility. Putting an ICE drivetrain in an EV, whether in series, parallel, or any other hybrid configuration, is not advisable, IMO. Invariably, you will get an overweight, overpriced, underperforming vehicle, like the Volt. It seems almost as ridiculous, to install an extremely expensive and heavy large battery pack (like the Tesla S long-range options) which is only occasionally required by the BEV driver.

A functional range extender would consist of:

A small displacement (200-600 CC) ICE generator, run at highest-efficiency rpm, to recharge the battery pack. Generator output would not be sufficient to drive the vehicle, just enough to extend the battery pack range to the next convenient recharge location...

Nissan's e-Power range-extended BEV, for sale by 3/31/17 in Japan

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22166

edatoakrun

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:05 pm

Another efficient single piston "one moving part" ICE generator aiming for BEVx applications claims to already be in the vehicle test stage.

And the (IMO, likely somewhat optimistic) cost projections indicate why the BEVx, rather than BEVs and PHEVs may ultimately be what displaces ICEVs in their market dominant position.

Peugeot tests Israeli range-extender technology in electric car push

PSA Group is preparing to test battery-powered cars that recharge with an on-board generator, industry sources said, as the French carmaker hunts for a breakthrough in mass-market electric vehicles to catch rivals Toyota and Renault-Nissan...

Aquarius Engines, an Israeli startup, said a major European carmaker had agreed to fund further development and road tests of its single-piston generator design, declining to identify the customer. But Paris-based PSA, the maker of Peugeot, Citroen and DS cars, confirmed its involvement...

In a rethink of engine fundamentals, Aquarius has pared the range extender down to a single piston that blasts to and fro inside a valveless 600cc cylinder, generating power from electromagnetic coils with each stroke. It delivers more than twice the overall energy efficiency of a typical combustion engine, according to simulations by German engineering firm FEV...

According to Aquarius, several prototype vehicles using its free-piston generator will be road-tested by the carmaker client early in 2017.

At an estimated $17,000 per vehicle, costs should undercut both conventional hybrids that come in closer to $25,000 and pure-electrics at around $40,000, the private company projects...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-peuge ... SKCN0ZT0T4

http://www.aquariusengines.com/

GRA

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Via GCC:
PowerCell Sweden receives order from Chinese company for PowerCell S2 to be used as an EV range-extender
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/09 ... rcell.html

. . . The PowerCell S2 will be used as a hydrogen-based range extender for electrified passenger cars. The PowerCell S2 fuel cell stack is designed for efficient power generation in the range of 5 to 25 kW. . . .
That's the same max. output as the i3's REx. so while okay for flattish ground or speeds not much over 70 mph, it's not enough for mountainous terrain unless it has a fully functional hold system, and is inadequate for higher speed cruising in CS mode.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:51 pm

Via ABG: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/04/daim ... ogen-cars/

. . . The Reuters scoop also hears that there will be a plug-in hybrid SUV that relies on a hydrogen fuel cell when its 30-mile electric range runs out. That would theoretically give you the added range of a fuel-based car without the environmental impact of gasoline. . . .

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”