GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Re: The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 am

TonyWilliams wrote:
Arguing that we should burn fossil fuels because a charger might be broken somewhere is a bizarre concept... why not just put MORE fast chargers in the ground? Backup power sources for the chargers?

As a consumer, this is absurd. I am not so wealthy that I can simply go out and install chargers anywhere that I may need them. If I had that kind of money, I'd just buy a Tesla. No, if I want to dramatically decrease my footprint today, my best bet is a PHEV or BEVx. That's exactly why I have a PHEV to compliment my BEV.

In the long term, you are correct. This is the solution for an EV future. But I'm not going to sit idly by and wait for this to happen - I've already changed my "fleet" to work with what is available today.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Interleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5000

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:06 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:Did you cut off his quote? I see nothing here about a furnace for heat, just burning fuel. You two seem to be saying the same thing.

I am pretty sure that @edatoakrun implied in a couple of other posts that the fuel would be directly combusted for cabin heat. That is why he favors propane as the fuel, as it can be combusted in the cabin without elaborate exhaust consideration, and when the vehicle is stationary. But I am pretty sure that he is aware of engine heating. I brought that up because it was not obvious and his fine post may give the misimpression that furnace heating is required in a SEV. It is not.
SL-QC, #5000+ blue - Delivery June 20, 2011 the day after the Calif. $5000 rebate ran out to $2500. Coincidence? Nah, dealer ***** Nissan is front-running.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Interleaf wrote:I am pretty sure that @edatoakrun implied in a couple of other posts that the fuel would be directly combusted for cabin heat...

Yes, I stated that, in my first post.

="Interleaf"...That is why he favors propane as the fuel, as it can be combusted in the cabin without elaborate exhaust consideration, and when the vehicle is stationary...

Perhaps greater advantages are:

Propane infrastructure is already quite mature and ubiquitous in the USA, needing only to be slightly adapted (longer hours, self-service?) for even more convenient use by to BEVx drivers

Propane is not a GHG, is harmless to human (and other) life in low concentrations, and has relatively benign combustion emissions.

Propane is stable. A canister can last for decades without leaking, degrading, or gumming up your ICE (like gasoline does) when you finally decide use it.

="Interleaf" ....I am pretty sure that he is aware of engine heating...

I am, but consider the added complexity and limited benefits from using liquid coolant/heatent to capture the waste heat from a 5 to 10 kW ICE, heat which would only be available on extended trips, and then only useful during very cold weather.

IMO, an efficient heat pump (which could easily be set up accept waste heat from an air-cooled ICE, when occasionally available) with combustion-back-up for occasional long trips at very low ambient temperatures, would probably be more practical.
no condition is permanent

rmay635703

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Direct Propane heating creates a lot of water vapor, a means of dehumidifying the air would be necessary
(Coming from a guy with an ev with a small propane heater)

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 pm

rmay635703 wrote:Direct Propane heating creates a lot of water vapor...
Which, along with all other combustion products, should always be vented outside the vehicle.
no condition is permanent

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”