edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am

No technical details, but the fact that a major vehicle manufacturer and parts supplier may have a FCREEV system production ready is big news:

Magna shopping its hydrogen fuel-cell range extender for EVs

VANCOUVER – Magna International is offering a solution to one of the main knocks against battery-electric vehicles – the time it takes to recharge on long trips.

The Canadian auto-parts giant is shopping around a hydrogen fuel-cell platform as a range extender for battery EVs. It first revealed the fuel cell range-extended electric vehicle (FCREEV) in March at the Geneva auto show.

The system was developed at the Magna Steyr Engineering facility in Graz, Austria, in partnership with fuel-cell developer Proton Motor of Germany and two Austrian research institutes, with funding from the Austrian government...

The fuel-cell range extender vehicle addresses the main criticism of battery EVs as long-range zero-emission vehicles.

For example, Bartlok explained, a 700-kilometre drive between Vienna and Stuttgart, Germany normally takes about seven hours. Assuming fast-charging facilities are available en route, a battery EV would need up to 10.5 hours.

But the all-wheel-drive FCREEV would add only 15 minutes to the journey if it needs one hydrogen refuelling stop, Bartlok said. If no refuelling facility is available, it could fall back on battery fast-charging...

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017061 ... er-for-evs

A likely potential customer would be Jaguar, which has already contracted out I-PACE production to Magna Steyr:

Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22545
no condition is permanent

rmay635703

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:17 am

edatoakrun wrote:No technical details

Magna
hydrogen

The Canadian auto-parts giant is

fuel-cell range extender

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017061 ... er-for-evs

2018[/b][/i]

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22545[/quote]

:(
Even an E85 fuel cell would be better

GRA

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:57 pm

Via ABG:
London’s range-extended electric cab gets trial run at Goodwood
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/30/lond ... -goodwood/

. . . The electric cabs have been in the works for almost a decade, though details started surfacing about them in late 2015. The vehicles will be powered by an electric motor that provides a full-charge range of about 70 miles. Additionally, the cabs will have a three-cylinder range extender made by Volvo. Geely has owned Volvo since 2010.

London Taxi expects to deploy its first electric cabs later this year. That's a good thing, as London's mayor would like to mandate emissions-free taxi cabs by 2018. Spy shots of the TX5 surfaced in March, showing a vehicle that's a little less curvy than the TX4 and featuring "suicide" doors for easier passenger entry.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Interleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 5000

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 am

Whoever moron at CARB who decided that a BEV charge assist (i.e. a minimally powered gasoline genset) should be called a "Range Extender" (which it is not - it is for occasional use and for finding a charger), and dictated that it may not be turned on before 5% SoC (instead of dictating a maximum power such as 5 or 10 kW for the genset) should be quartered, tortured, and then shot by firing squad, to teach a lesson to all government planners that the road to hell can easily be paved with good intentions and incompetence.
SL-QC, #5000+ blue - Delivery June 20, 2011 the day after the Calif. $5000 rebate ran out to $2500. Coincidence? Nah, dealer ***** Nissan is front-running.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:43 am

Interleaf wrote:Whoever moron at CARB who decided that a BEV charge assist (i.e. a minimally powered gasoline genset) should be called a "Range Extender" (which it is not - it is for occasional use and for finding a charger), and dictated that it may not be turned on before 5% SoC (instead of dictating a maximum power such as 5 or 10 kW for the genset) should be quartered, tortured, and then shot by firing squad, to teach a lesson to all government planners that the road to hell can easily be paved with good intentions and incompetence.

Yes, so you keep telling us. Or maybe BMW just built a crappy range-extended EV.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:58 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Interleaf wrote:Whoever moron at CARB who decided that a BEV charge assist (i.e. a minimally powered gasoline genset) should be called a "Range Extender" (which it is not - it is for occasional use and for finding a charger), and dictated that it may not be turned on before 5% SoC (instead of dictating a maximum power such as 5 or 10 kW for the genset) should be quartered, tortured, and then shot by firing squad, to teach a lesson to all government planners that the road to hell can easily be paved with good intentions and incompetence.

Yes, so you keep telling us. Or maybe BMW just built a crappy range-extended EV.

European BMW i3's let the driver engage the REx engine early via a hold (charge) mode as alluded to by http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-bevx-re ... leash-rex/ whenever the SoC is 75% or less. "Coding" removes the crippling by apparently enabling that feature in US i3's but doing so is likely frowned up by BMW NA and even more likely by CARB (might even be illegal).

Plenty of US i3 REx drivers have "coded" their cars.

As for crappy, yes, in terms of reliability (well, at least to a point where it's unacceptable to me) and value for the money.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

edatoakrun

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:28 pm

cwerdna wrote:... "Coding" removes the crippling by apparently enabling that feature in US i3's but doing so is likely frowned up by BMW NA and even more likely by CARB (might even be illegal).

Plenty of US i3 REx drivers have "coded" their cars...

I don't think there is any doubt that this is illegal.

And for i3 drivers who applied for and collected the CA BEVx rebates, you can probably add additional civil and/or criminal liability.

The tolerance shown by both BMW and CARB for "coding" is likely to end only after this activity is more widely reported.

Might become be a significant scandal at that point, IMO.

Future WSJ sensationalist headline?

CALIFORNIA PAID $ MILLIONS TO BMW OWNERS WHO CHEATED ON SMOG REGULATIONS

GRA

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm

It will never be a scandal, because having the REx means that people are driving more EV miles, not less. Which doesn't change the fact that the Reg is a bad one as written, but as noted in another thread it was BMW who specifically asked CARB for the BEVx category to be created.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Given how unpleasant the i3 Rex seems to be to drive in Rex mode, I doubt that many people will drive around on the ICE.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

edatoakrun

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 am

edatoakrun wrote:
cwerdna wrote:... "Coding" removes the crippling by apparently enabling that feature in US i3's but doing so is likely frowned up by BMW NA and even more likely by CARB (might even be illegal).

Plenty of US i3 REx drivers have "coded" their cars...

I don't think there is any doubt that this is illegal.

And for i3 drivers who applied for and collected the CA BEVx rebates, you can probably add additional civil and/or criminal liability.

The tolerance shown by both BMW and CARB for "coding" is likely to end only after this activity is more widely reported.

Might become be a significant scandal at that point, IMO.

Future WSJ sensationalist headline?

CALIFORNIA PAID $ MILLIONS TO BMW OWNERS WHO CHEATED ON SMOG REGULATIONS

GRA wrote:It will never be a scandal, because having the REx means that people are driving more EV miles, not less...

LeftieBiker wrote:Given how unpleasant the i3 Rex seems to be to drive in Rex mode, I doubt that many people will drive around on the ICE.

I think both of your assumptions are incorrect.

The comment below was posted yesterday:

...I deactivated the legal disclaimer (yea!!!!) and then enabled 'hold state of charge' for the REx. I even set one of the presets on the dash to turn on (or off) the 'hold state of charge function. I then went for a drive, and it all worked like a charm. It was dead simple to do.

With the ability to 'hold state of charge' you can travel between cities where charging infrastructure along the way may not be adequate, but where finding gasoline is easy. It gives you basically unlimited mileage between charging stations as long as you stop for gas...

Liberating your Rex is a necessity, and one which will make the wonderful i3 that much more so, and allow you to use the REx as it was designed to be used and not hamstrung by regulatory compliance...

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 37ea7ad584

That statement particularly applies to California.

BMW has claimed to have developed the DC infrastructure on California freeways, but in fact only promoted the installation of single-unit, CCS-only DC chargers, that often supply far lower than the (slow) 24 kW claimed (when they function at all) and at far higher cost-per-mile than by just filling up with gasoline and driving on the REx.

BMW has not only tolerated, but for all practical purposes actually encouraged California i-3 REx buyers to code to enable long gas-fueled trips by evading the BEVx regulations.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”