GRA

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Via IEVS:
19,130 BMW i3 REx Recalled In US Due To Fire Risk…Thanks To Its Gas Extender
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-recalle ... -extender/

The recall sounds minor and routine, but more interesting to me was the first official confirmation that the Rex/non-Rex ratio has been about 3:1, as that's what I've been seeing in my completely non-scientific local counts.

. . . The issue applies to model year 2014-2017 BMW i3s, which total 19,130 vehicles in the US, and was first detected by a BMW dealer. . . .

As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 pm

GRA wrote:As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .

So the typical BMW i3 buyer prefers a higher end hybrid, e.g. status & EV range, than the Volt or Prius PHEV
at the expensive of a marginal Rex ICE compared to either the Volt or Prius and where cost is not an issue.

GRA

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Tom Moloughney via IEVS:
BMW i3 Long Term Battery Capacity Report: Better Than Expected
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-long-term-battery-capacity-report-better-than-expected/

He estimates he's down about 4%/ 0.8kWh/3 miles EPA after 3 years/70k miles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”