GRA

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Via IEVS:
19,130 BMW i3 REx Recalled In US Due To Fire Risk…Thanks To Its Gas Extender
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-rex-recalle ... -extender/

The recall sounds minor and routine, but more interesting to me was the first official confirmation that the Rex/non-Rex ratio has been about 3:1, as that's what I've been seeing in my completely non-scientific local counts.

. . . The issue applies to model year 2014-2017 BMW i3s, which total 19,130 vehicles in the US, and was first detected by a BMW dealer. . . .

As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:19 pm

GRA wrote:As an interesting sidenote to this recall, we now have a solid idea of the cumulative selling ratio between the all-electric BMW i3 and the range extended since the vehicles debut, as over that time a total of 24,741 i3s where sold, meaning the REx has outsold the BEV in just over a 3:1 ratio. . . .

So the typical BMW i3 buyer prefers a higher end hybrid, e.g. status & EV range, than the Volt or Prius PHEV
at the expensive of a marginal Rex ICE compared to either the Volt or Prius and where cost is not an issue.

GRA

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Tom Moloughney via IEVS:
BMW i3 Long Term Battery Capacity Report: Better Than Expected
http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-long-term-battery-capacity-report-better-than-expected/

He estimates he's down about 4%/ 0.8kWh/3 miles EPA after 3 years/70k miles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 pm

A few years ago I posted on this thread that I thought I might be interested in an i3 after someone else paid the huge initial depreciation.

But even though they are much cheaper today than I expected they would be, the much-faster-than-expected drop in all new and used BEV prices makes it unlikely I'll decide to pick one up.

You Can Get A Rear-Engined BMW With A Carbon Fiber Body For Less Than A Honda Civic

What comes to mind when you think exotic cars? Probably something like a carbon fiber shell and an engine behind the driver. You might be surprised to learn that can have both with a warranty, and it will cost you well under $20,000. These days, the unusual and ultra-efficient BMW i3 is really cheap.

Let’s start with the basics: the body is carbon fiber. Yes, the same material that you find in Formula One racecars and hyper exotics like the McLaren P1. The motor is in the rear and pumps out the electric equivalent of about 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque that is available immediately. This means the little car can scoot to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds. While that’s not M3 quick, the lightweight and instant power make it a super fun runabout for city and urban driving.

While all that sounds like a hoot, a brand new BMW i3 has a starting price of over $42,000 before you start checking off your options boxes. However, since the first batch of i3 models are just now coming off their three-year lease period and gas is cheap, the market is flooded with super cheap cars, most of which have a BMW Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

Some careful shopping could land you one of these carbon fiber electric hatchbacks for less than $16,000...

Now the downside is that these early i3 models had an effective range of about 83 miles. So it really only worked for people scooting around town or didn’t have to drive far to work. If you wanted to go a bit further you could get a gasoline Range Extender model but that will set you back closer to $20,000...

http://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-rear- ... 1795331183
no condition is permanent

GRA

Wed May 24, 2017 6:52 pm

Via GCR, Tom Moloughney on what he likes and what needs improvement:
BMW i3 REx: owner's 3 years with range-extended electric car
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110512_bmw-i3-rex-owners-3-years-with-range-extended-electric-car

LKK

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 am

I personally think a 40 kwh battery hits the sweet spot because it provides ample range for the type of driving most people need. Most families now have at least two vehicles. A 40 kwh EV is perfect to fill the commuter/run about town role. Adoption of such a vehicle by the majority of families in lieu of their current gas powered commuter vehicles would result in greater CO2 reduction than trying to convince people to buy a one size fits all 200 or 300 EV.

And the 40 kwh EV would make the commute more fun to drive than it's ICE counterpart!

GRA

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:56 pm

LKK wrote:I personally think a 40 kwh battery hits the sweet spot because it provides ample range for the type of driving most people need. Most families now have at least two vehicles. A 40 kwh EV is perfect to fill the commuter/run about town role. Adoption of such a vehicle by the majority of families in lieu of their current gas powered commuter vehicles would result in greater CO2 reduction than trying to convince people to buy a one size fits all 200 or 300 EV.

And the 40 kwh EV would make the commute more fun to drive than it's ICE counterpart!

I agree that around 150 miles of range at the lowest possible price will be adequate for most people's commute car. I wrote back in 2013 or maybe 2012 that I thought 150 miles @ $30k would be the point at which mainstream consumers started to seriously consider BEVs. Unfortunately, when I wrote that the national average price of gas was around $3.50/gallon while it's currently $2.36, which likely moves the tipping point down to the same range at maybe $25k. We'll see.

eyemgh
Delivery Date: 26 Oct 2017

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 pm

edatoakrun wrote:A few years ago I posted on this thread that I thought I might be interested in an i3 after someone else paid the huge initial depreciation.

But even though they are much cheaper today than I expected they would be, the much-faster-than-expected drop in all new and used BEV prices makes it unlikely I'll decide to pick one up.

You Can Get A Rear-Engined BMW With A Carbon Fiber Body For Less Than A Honda Civic

What comes to mind when you think exotic cars? Probably something like a carbon fiber shell and an engine behind the driver. You might be surprised to learn that can have both with a warranty, and it will cost you well under $20,000. These days, the unusual and ultra-efficient BMW i3 is really cheap.

Let’s start with the basics: the body is carbon fiber. Yes, the same material that you find in Formula One racecars and hyper exotics like the McLaren P1. The motor is in the rear and pumps out the electric equivalent of about 170 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque that is available immediately. This means the little car can scoot to 60 mph in about 7.2 seconds. While that’s not M3 quick, the lightweight and instant power make it a super fun runabout for city and urban driving.

While all that sounds like a hoot, a brand new BMW i3 has a starting price of over $42,000 before you start checking off your options boxes. However, since the first batch of i3 models are just now coming off their three-year lease period and gas is cheap, the market is flooded with super cheap cars, most of which have a BMW Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

Some careful shopping could land you one of these carbon fiber electric hatchbacks for less than $16,000...

Now the downside is that these early i3 models had an effective range of about 83 miles. So it really only worked for people scooting around town or didn’t have to drive far to work. If you wanted to go a bit further you could get a gasoline Range Extender model but that will set you back closer to $20,000...

http://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-a-rear- ... 1795331183

This seems like reason TO buy a BEV not why not to buy one.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”