DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Good points. They seemed to have assumed that only avid environmentalists would want an electric car and if they dangled one with environmentally friendly labeled interior materials that these people would swoon and throw money at them without seriously evaluating other aspects.

That said, I was pleased with the driving of the i3 during the test drive I did. The interior was acceptable IMO. And while I disliked the looks when it first came out, that is starting to grow on me.

Each car in this space provides different driving experience, utility, range and value propositions. Each will find a certain market share, except I guess for the Miev. Some will be winners and some will be losers. Over time, the market will evolve and the car companies will figure out what works and what doesn't. In the meantime, I'm ecstatic to see the number of options available and the increasing range capabilities vs. when I went shopping and bought my Leaf in 2013.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Funny story BMW i related that doesn't warrant its own thread... Neighbor bought (yes bought, not leased) an i8 for his kid going to college for him to make the 9 miles RT commute to campus. I noticed it was never plugged in, when the chance came up I asked him about it, he said he doesn't bother, as it only goes 17 miles on electric so he just drives it on gas in sport mode all the time. Doesn't have an L2, and usually parks it on the street under a tree where leaves and bird crap fall on it. Apparently $135k isn't significant in their lives, nor are they particularly concerned about environmental issues or EVs, but he does like the way it looks (after the bird crap is washed off of course)
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 pm

palmermd wrote:I was sitting at a light and saw an i3 the other day and had the same thought. If you had an i3 and a Tesla S60 Tesla Model 3 and put them in a room and brought people in to pick which one they liked and only gave the price and let them look at the cars without any reference to electric. Just based on comfort and convenience as well as style, the i3 will have a hard time getting a vote.

The i3 will never be the most popular car, but it is still the most efficient EV available. I'd still vote for it as I live in a near city environment. The Telsa S60 is way too large for tight spaces. The model 3 should be very popular but too much car for people only requiring short distances.

The likeability of the vehicles depends on the person. Plenty of people like the look of the i3 because it stands out. It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Looks like BMW is eager to get rid of some of 2014 lease returns sitting on the lots, they offer 0.9% APR and $1000 credit on a CPO purchase, I think they should try harder.

Are there opinions that buying a used i3 is a good idea? Did they depreciate a lot similar to Leafs?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
59.7AHr, SOH 93%, 118k miles
9kW Solar

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Beleaf wrote: It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.

Yes, but you really don't know what they're truly thinking.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Valdemar wrote:Looks like BMW is eager to get rid of some of 2014 lease returns sitting on the lots, they offer 0.9% APR and $1000 credit on a CPO purchase, I think they should try harder.

Are there opinions that buying a used i3 is a good idea? Did they depreciate a lot similar to Leafs?

Only if you have an uncontrollable urge to spend $1200/year on tires.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:30 am

Valdemar wrote:Looks like BMW is eager to get rid of some of 2014 lease returns sitting on the lots, they offer 0.9% APR and $1000 credit on a CPO purchase, I think they should try harder.

Are there opinions that buying a used i3 is a good idea?

Even if I were ok w/the styling, there's no damned way I'd want an i3 REx. It seems the odds aren't too low that you'd end up one w/not very good reliability. Since they seem so troublesome while still within warranty (where presumably BMW would want to minimize warranty costs by at least making them have little trouble until expiration), I'd hate to see what happens after their warranty's up.

Join https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/ and just watch how often someone posts about some non-minor problem (e.g. drivetrain malfunction, restraint system malfunction, CEL, J1772 handle lock mechanism malfunction (which gets unnecessary cycles with every charge), etc.) or posts a pic about something w/their check engine light (CEL) on. Ignore stuff like nails in tires, rattles and problems w/their telematics app. Compare that to here.

I posts my thoughts at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 118#p22118 and in a bunch of posts later.

Just today, I spotted someone w/a REx drivetrain malfunction and thus was stranded. Someone else on 12/6 also needed to be flatbedded. Another guy posted a pic w/a CEL 17 hours ago. Heater failure on 12/6. Someone else reporting a restraint system malfunction that day too. 12/5: vehicle charging problems. Stops within 1 minute of charging. Has tried other "chargers", as well.

The BEV seems more reliable.

If someone gave me a BEV for free, I'd probably drive it for a bit and sell it right before warranty expiration. If it were a REx, it'd be also gone before warranty expiration and probably after it's second repair trip to the "spa". I barely have enough the time to take my cars in for maintenance, let alone unscheduled repairs.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:29 am

I wonder if someone could do a conversion - you know, drop a Superbike engine in the back there, in place of that dirty, troublesome ICE-EV drivetrain. ;-)
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:59 am

cwerdna wrote:

Are there opinions that buying a used i3 is a good idea?

Even if I were ok w/the styling, there's no damned way I'd want an i3 REx. It seems the odds aren't too low that you'd end up one w/not very good reliability. Since they seem so troublesome while still within warranty (where presumably BMW would want to minimize warranty costs by at least making them have little trouble until expiration), I'd hate to see what happens after their warranty's up.

Join https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWi3/ and just watch how often someone posts about some non-minor problem (e.g. drivetrain malfunction, restraint system malfunction, CEL, J1772 handle lock mechanism malfunction (which gets unnecessary cycles with every charge), etc.) or posts a pic about something w/their check engine light (CEL) on. Ignore stuff like nails in tires, rattles and problems w/their telematics app. Compare that to here.

I posts my thoughts at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 118#p22118 and in a bunch of posts later.

Just today, I spotted someone w/a REx drivetrain malfunction and thus was stranded. Someone else on 12/6 also needed to be flatbedded. Another guy posted a pic w/a CEL 17 hours ago. Heater failure on 12/6. Someone else reporting a restraint system malfunction that day too. 12/5: vehicle charging problems. Stops within 1 minute of charging. Has tried other "chargers", as well.

The BEV seems more reliable.

If someone gave me a BEV for free, I'd probably drive it for a bit and sell it right before warranty expiration. If it were a REx, it'd be also gone before warranty expiration and probably after it's second repair trip to the "spa". I barely have enough the time to take my cars in for maintenance, let alone unscheduled repairs.

Yes, one needs to "hug" their Leaf, notwithstanding the battery. But all of us, maybe most, knew after using
battery powered devices over the last 30 years what to expect from battery degradation on a BEV.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:22 am

And right on cue, as of 12/10/16 1:20 am Pacific time from the i3 FB group:
14 hours ago: someone also reported a sudden shutdown while driving w/REx refusing to charge the battery even after pulling over
6 hours ago: REx in the shop for 3rd drivetrain malfunction. Person trying to get it lemon lawed. They said 1/3 of was while on the highway and it abruptly stopped, which scared them.
21 hours ago: '14 i3 is being repaired for the third time in 4 months for check engine light and fuel door malfunction

There may be others. These are ones that I easily found and aren't dupes of previous ones I reported.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”