Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:41 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:re #3, handling seemed quite good with those wonky tires, but they cost a fortune and wear out quickly, so pass. Looked to me like you'd spend double what a regular car uses in gas every year just keeping shoes on that thing.

Tires last well. Ours have 16,000km (10,000 miles) on them and about half worn. They are expensive if you buy them from the BMW dealer, but good price from a tyre dealer. Set of 4 19 inch from Tire Rack are $543. Similar to the Leaf tire prices but less options available because of the unusual sizes.
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:53 pm

I kinda like there funky styling but then again thats why I love our leaf. We actually looked at the i3 but in my country there seems to be a solid 20,000 dollar difference. (Canadian currency). We just didn't see it the difference and the range of the 30KW SV was more than we'll ever need. Kinda cool though.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:35 am

Beleaf wrote:
lorenfb wrote:
Beleaf wrote: It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.

Yes, but you really don't know what they're truly thinking.

A significant number of pedestrians come over while walking past and look at the car. If I show up they are interested in the details of the vehicle, and as yet no-one has been negative about it. Well, some are concerned about the purchase cost but that is just how an EV is around here at the current stage. I actually have a Porsche as well, but it gets way less interest. Only P-car fans spend any time looking at the CS. That's just how it is.

Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's. I like them all, but I didn't buy a Leaf because of the lack of battery temperature management in our hot climate. Most of the people looking at the i3 are normal fossil fuel car owners, but I have also met Tesla and other EV/Hybrid owners having a good look.

Back to the original issue, i.e. what some may be thinking when viewing an i3. Even though some may ask
questions about the i3, to conjecture that indicates that they find the appearance appealing is naive. Some
may find the i3 unappealing and wish to determine why someone would drive such an ugly vehicle and
what may be appealing other than its appearance. Obviously, few if any would ever express their true
opinions, especially with regard to its appearance.

Beleaf

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:47 am

lorenfb wrote:
Beleaf wrote:
lorenfb wrote:

A significant number of pedestrians come over while walking past and look at the car. If I show up they are interested in the details of the vehicle, and as yet no-one has been negative about it. Well, some are concerned about the purchase cost but that is just how an EV is around here at the current stage. I actually have a Porsche as well, but it gets way less interest. Only P-car fans spend any time looking at the CS. That's just how it is.

Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's. I like them all, but I didn't buy a Leaf because of the lack of battery temperature management in our hot climate. Most of the people looking at the i3 are normal fossil fuel car owners, but I have also met Tesla and other EV/Hybrid owners having a good look.

Back to the original issue, i.e. what some may be thinking when viewing an i3. Even though some may ask
questions about the i3, to conjecture that indicates that they find the appearance appealing is naive. Some
may find the i3 unappealing and wish to determine why someone would drive such an ugly vehicle and
what may be appealing other than its appearance. Obviously, few if any would ever express their true

Try reading what I wrote, rather than repeating an opinion.

My words are not conjecture, they are examples of information shared from the public who see the i3 in the flesh.

I regularly park at a large shopping centre, and I often have actual discussions with people regarding the i3. After doing the shopping, there is often people peering into the car and walking around it as I turn up and start loading the shopping in the hatch. There is way more interest in the i3 than any other car in the car park.

I can't say how people behave in your country and area, but I can say how people behave here in Australia and in our community. If they hated the styling, they would find a polite way to say so. Most are interested in the underlying difference rather than whether they love/hate the styling. The car stands out because it doesn't look like the mass of generic vehicles on the road. Whether someone thinks it's ugly is up to them, but so far no-one has indicated that IRL in my experience.
Regards from Australia!

Beleaf

Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Autocar UK just published an electric vehicle group test of four EV's available in the UK, including the new Hyundai Ioniq. The i3 is top of the list, followed by the Golf, then the rest:

1. BMW i3 94Ah "So good that it'll make you think differently about EVs. The i3 is one of the best urban cars money can buy, and great fun to drive." 5/5

2. Volkswagen e-Golf "Pioneering technology delivered with VW polish. E-Golf is strong in every important area but curiously expensive on a monthly basis." 4.5/5

3. Hyudai Ioniq Electric Premium SE "Hyundai's first dedicated battery car shows plenty of promise but needs better dynamic finishing. Good on value, practicality and range." 4/5

4. Nissan Leaf 30kWh Tekna "Original electric poster boy shows how far rivals have moved the game on. Leaf is still very credible and genuinely usable, though." 3/5

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... group-test
Regards from Australia!

Firetruck41
Leaf Number: 408264

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:03 pm

lorenfb wrote:
Beleaf wrote:
lorenfb wrote:

Common sense must be in short supply. It is obviously likely that people that gather around a car, go out of their way to approach it, or attempt to talk to the owner, find it appealing in some way, whether technologically, visually or otherwise. To think otherwise is naive.

Wow you really can't think straight when you don't like something, it really seems to consume you. I would advise you just move on to another thread that actually interests you. For your own mental health.
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

lorenfb

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Firetruck41 wrote:Common sense must be in short supply. It is obviously likely that people that gather around a car, go out of their way to approach it, or attempt to talk to the owner, find it appealing in some way, whether technologically, visually or otherwise. To think otherwise is naive.

Wow you really can't think straight when you don't like something, it really seems to consume you. I would advise you just move on to another thread that actually interests you. For your own mental health.

Have anything of substance to contribute? Or trolling with your typical ad hominem attack?

Firetruck41 wrote:Common sense must be in short supply. It is obviously likely that people that gather around a car, go out of their way to approach it, or attempt to talk to the owner, find it appealing in some way, whether technologically, visually or otherwise. To think otherwise is naive.

Really, and how did you conclude this, Sherlock? Used your "personal" Venn diagram? Or you are sampling expert, right?

Firetruck41 wrote:obviously likely
- a term learned in a middle school logic class

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Interesting enough, we went by the BMW dealer couple weeks ago because they had an I8 on the lot. Kinda cool. Anyway, they had one I3 on the lot. We went buy yesterday and they have 4 on the lot. Different colors. Kind funky. Coincidentally went past the Nissan dealer and didn't see any leafs. They had a couple used ones a couple weeks ago though.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KW
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

lorenfb

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:52 pm

webeleafowners wrote:Interesting enough, we went by the BMW dealer couple weeks ago because they had an I8 on the lot. Kinda cool. Anyway, they had one I3 on the lot. We went buy yesterday and they have 4 on the lot. Different colors. Kind funky. Coincidentally went past the Nissan dealer and didn't see any leafs. They had a couple used ones a couple weeks ago though.

During my visit to the local Nissan dealer to have the 3G update done, I spoke to the lead Leaf salesperson.
He indicated that they had only 2017 models, i.e. 9+, S, SV, & SL all 30kWh. Also, he said toward the end
of 2017 there would be a completely new Leaf with a 60kWh battery (range > 200 miles).

Beleaf

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:40 pm

lorenfb wrote:During my visit to the local Nissan dealer to have the 3G update done, I spoke to the lead Leaf salesperson.
He indicated that they had only 2017 models, i.e. 9+, S, SV, & SL all 30kWh. Also, he said toward the end
of 2017 there would be a completely new Leaf with a 60kWh battery (range > 200 miles).

Pardon me, this is the BMW i3 thread, not spiel about the Leaf although it sounds like they are moving forward. Plenty of other threads here for that. :lol:
Regards from Australia!

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”