LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 am

^ None of that is at all surprising. Just about everyone knows while BMWs are great driving when it comes to reliability or providing any sort of trouble free ownership experience at reasonable cost you are totally looking in the wrong place. Sure you will hear from people who say they've gotten hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems, or that it's the owners fault for not doing perfect maintenance, or you need to find an independent shop or whatever, believe them if you want but do so at your peril unless you have a lot of money to burn or don't mind making car repairs a hobby.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:55 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:^ None of that is at all surprising. Just about everyone knows while BMWs are great driving when it comes to reliability or providing any sort of trouble free ownership experience at reasonable cost you are totally looking in the wrong place. Sure you will hear from people who say they've gotten hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems, or that it's the owners fault for not doing perfect maintenance, or you need to find an independent shop or whatever, believe them if you want but do so at your peril unless you have a lot of money to burn or don't mind making car repairs a hobby.

Anyone that follows car reliability knows the above re: BMW. Unfortunately, there are folks who have no idea and those in denial about BMW's spotty reliability, esp. some BMW fanboys.

I guess I'm semi-surprised about some issues as you'd think that BMW would've learned their lesson from the ActiveE. And, it calls into question what sort of and how much testing they did w/the i3 in the US.

I'm just blown away that they shipped US models w/flawed KLEs (basically their 2nd OBC) that would apparently blow when charging at full power here, so before that, they had a band-aid by turning down the charging power until a redesigned part was available: http://insideevs.com/bmw-to-finally-rep ... ging-rate/. And, the broken motor mounts/bolts, chronic CELs (check engine lights) and drivetrain malfunctions?

It didn't take very long in the US market to discover the blown KLEs and CELs. I don't recall drivetrain malfunctions taking that long to crop up either.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:34 am

Zero motorcycles has been doing something similar for years, now. They ship a bike that performs in an awesome manner when it runs, but is often Buggy right out of the box, requiring frequent trips to the nearest competent Zero dealer (and that often involves shipping the bikes both ways) to become usable. Then they stop supporting older models after a very few years. These things are just expensive toys for the rich.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:44 am

Heh. So, today, as of 11:15 pm 12/11/16 Pacific time, I spotted these on the i3 FB group in the last ~23 hours.
- CEL
- REx didn't engage when the big battery was depleted. Car had be towed.
- drivetrain malfunction error (says it's the 5th time for him)

One person who I think I mentioned earlier w/an EME failure said it was their 2nd EME failure.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:46 pm

lorenfb wrote:
Beleaf wrote: It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.

Yes, but you really don't know what they're truly thinking.

A significant number of pedestrians come over while walking past and look at the car. If I show up they are interested in the details of the vehicle, and as yet no-one has been negative about it. Well, some are concerned about the purchase cost but that is just how an EV is around here at the current stage. I actually have a Porsche as well, but it gets way less interest. Only P-car fans spend any time looking at the CS. That's just how it is.

Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's. I like them all, but I didn't buy a Leaf because of the lack of battery temperature management in our hot climate. Most of the people looking at the i3 are normal fossil fuel car owners, but I have also met Tesla and other EV/Hybrid owners having a good look.
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:54 am

Beleaf wrote:Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's.

Incorrect. They dislike all EVs except Tesla.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

Beleaf

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:44 am

Valdemar wrote:
Beleaf wrote:Maybe I have never been around when Leaf owners come and have a look. Apparently they dislike other EV's.

Incorrect. They dislike all EVs except Tesla.

LOL. So Leaf owners are massively biassed. I guess that explains a lot. :o
Regards from Australia!

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:49 am

lorenfb wrote:
Beleaf wrote: It's quite interesting to drive along with a fancy car (or park next to) like a Porsche and notice more pedestrians look with interest at the i3.

Yes, but you really don't know what they're truly thinking.

I'll be explicit in my view:

1. It has ugly lines.
2. Driver is seated too high.
3. The tires are too narrow, i.e. with this & #2 can't imagine good handling.
4. The interior is ugly, e.g. bamboo dashboard - please.
5. The function of the rear doors, i.e. access thru front doors.
6. It has ugly color combos, i.e. '50s two-tone look.
7. The instrument cluster, i.e. like a small tablet, appears to be an afterthought.
8. The placement of the charging port on the side requires backing into charging stalls.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:44 pm

re #3, handling seemed quite good with those wonky tires, but they cost a fortune and wear out quickly, so pass. Looked to me like you'd spend double what a regular car uses in gas every year just keeping shoes on that thing.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

Beleaf

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:27 pm

1. It has ugly lines.
2. Driver is seated too high.
3. The tires are too narrow, i.e. with this & #2 can't imagine good handling.
4. The interior is ugly, e.g. bamboo dashboard - please.
5. The function of the rear doors, i.e. access thru front doors.
6. It has ugly color combos, i.e. '50s two-tone look.
7. The instrument cluster, i.e. like a small tablet, appears to be an afterthought.
8. The placement of the charging port on the side requires backing into charging stalls.

1. It has different styling than the generic styling of most cars. "Ugly" is not a fact, just an opinion.
2. Driver height is fine and clearly legal. Dealing with opinion here.
3. Tyres are narrow because the i3 is focussed on efficiency. Opinion does not follow fact. The i3 has very good handling: Fact.
4. "Ugly" is not a fact, an opinion. You can choose a plastic dash.
5. Nothing wrong with the rear doors. They are different, yes.
6. "Ugly" is not a fact, an opinion.
7. The instrument cluster is like a tablet. Different, yes. We are seeing more of the same in newer cars now.
8. True. No big deal though. Place your EVSE inside the entry of your garage and you don't have to back in.

What we seem to deal here is that some people are scared of design and styling that are different to the norm. In a world where more and more cars are looking similar, it's actually good to see someone prepared to step out of the box and design something that looks significantly different.

I have yet to have anyone actually looking at the i3 call it "ugly" but you are welcome to have your opinion, that is what makes you different.
Regards from Australia!

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”