lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Re: Tesla Model X

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am

Zythryn wrote:
lorenfb wrote:Image
It's from here; http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-crash-test/

That's the deer accident Tesla X being referenced, right Guy?

"Deer accident"? I suppose it can be described that way.
More accurately that is the accident in which the Model X hit a deer at 70 mph, then a tree.
The passenger was able to open the door, then open the driver's side falcon wind door. No injuries to passenger, driver suffered an injury from the deer striking him.

Pretty impressive.

The question relates to what appears to be a sheared away rear body section of the Model X, i.e. Did the rear body section
break from the front body section at or near where the glass moon-roof ends and where the falcon wing doors pivot from,
resulting in lost upper vehicle body integrity or is that just the left falcon wing door partially open?

Zythryn

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:32 am

lorenfb wrote:
The question relates to what appears to be a sheared away rear body section of the Model X, i.e. Did the rear body section
break from the front body section at or near where the glass moon-roof ends and where the falcon wing doors pivot from,
resulting in lost upper vehicle body integrity or is that just the left falcon wing door partially open?

You hatred of Tesla is both baffling and colors your vision.
Rather than ask that question, you first conclude that the body section broke from the car.

As you speculated here, what you are seeing is indeed a partially open door.
Considering the ver clean/straight lines of the edges of the door, the unbent/unbroken floorboard, and the "break" not extending past one half of the car, I don't think much of anyone without an axe to grind, would say that looks like a torn body.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am

GRA wrote:...check out the photos of our own MNL member scottf200's Model X after a 70 mph head-on with a deer, followed by hitting a tree. Glad to hear that his son's okay and Scott mostly is too, although he wrote he had some damage to his left eye and socket (apparently from the deer/windshield hitting him).

The unanswered question is how an ordinary (?) deer strike led to the extreme damage and injuries.

Below is the result of a ~70 mph frontal collision between a large buck and my 1975 Fiat Spider, a vehicle not exactly known for advanced safety features or collision-worthiness...

I drove home, uninjured.

no condition is permanent

DesertSprings
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 319100

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:33 am

Did you also hit a tree afterwords?

edatoakrun

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:39 am

DesertSprings wrote:Did you also hit a tree afterwords?

No, since (unlike the buck) none of the nearby trees ran into my lane... and I never lost control of the car.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:58 am

It appears what happened here is the Model X first hit the deer then spun around backwards and hit the tree. Then the deer, enraged by the whole incident, came back and jumped on the hood, windshield and roof until the car was reduced to a mangled mess of sheet metal.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
DesertSprings wrote:Did you also hit a tree afterwords?

No, since (unlike the buck) none of the nearby trees ran into my lane... and I never lost control of the car.

If you read the posts above, you will learn that
1) The driver was injured by the collision with the deer
2) The vehicle struck a tree after the deer (possibly a result of the injury followed by losing control of the car)

As for how this driver got injured and you didn't? Pure speculation, but it could simply be the height of impact with the deer. Deer like to jump. If the deer hit the X in the windshield, it probably was mid-jump. I'm guessing in your case that the deer would have jumped nearly clear over your car, or maybe landed in your lap :shock:
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

edatoakrun

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:If you read the posts above, you will learn that...

Read the comments at the story below for the less-than-complete explanation:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-crash-test/

Deer are a constant hazard, but the over-sized windshield of an X obviously presents a very large soft target for a deer or any other large object to enter the cabin and cause serious occupant injuries, either directly, or from subsequent collision after loss of control of the vehicle, after the driver is disabled.

Presumably, that X was not operating on Autopilot when it struck the deer?

lorenfb
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635

Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Zythryn wrote:
lorenfb wrote:

You hatred of Tesla is both baffling and colors your vision.
Rather than ask that question, you first conclude that the body section broke from the car.

As you speculated here, what you are seeing is indeed a partially open door.
Considering the ver clean/straight lines of the edges of the door, the unbent/unbroken floorboard, and the "break" not extending past one half of the car, I don't think much of anyone without an axe to grind, would say that looks like a torn body.

In any case, a vehicle with a moon-roof AND falcon wing doors has potentially less roof integrity, thereby compromising
side impact and rollover safety. Furthermore, mentioning "unbent/unbroken floorboard" is a non-sequitur as related to
roof integrity.

Firetruck41
Leaf Number: 408264

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Those with an innate disdain for Tesla will find any reason to "not like" (hate?) the Model X, but for those who are more logical, you can use things like the NHTSA crash test ratings to see how the X compares to other SUVs or cars.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just awarded the Tesla Model X a 5-star safety rating in every category and subcategory after conducting the first independent crash test of the electric vehicle since its launch in 2015. Tesla was quick to trumpet the rating, noting the Model X was the first SUV to receive the federal government’s highest safety rating across the board." -excerpt from The Verge
8/2015- New to me 12bar 2013 SV w/QC package and 37k miles

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”