jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: Official Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV SUV thread

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:29 am

AndyH, I appreciate your real world postings :)
I agree it's easy to get caught up in numbers and not see the forest for the trees. Just like the Volt that initially had quite mediocre ICE MPG numbers, quite a few real world people were getting 1000+ MPG average by plugging whenever they could.
Personally I'd have liked something more like the new Prius Prime for HWY MPG but then again I know one will not get something like that in a high profile vehicle SUV like an Outlander, and as the article said, as much as other mfgs. talk about coming out with a PHEV or even BEV SUV, as of yet Mitsubishi is the only one that has done so in N. America.
AFA the Mitsubishi name and auto press, they basically get no respect. Been this way for years and to whether you agree is up to you to decide. I don't see a ton of Mitsubishi's around hear, some but nothing like other brands. I do see many up in Canada where I vacation in the summer and people really seem to like them, maybe Canadians value the dollar more than brand of car they drive :idea:
I'd have no problem with a Mitsubishi, heck I was seriously looking at one before I got my 1st Leaf quite a few years ago. Very good HWY and CTY mileage from it's anemic(but totally adequate IMO) 3 cylinder engine, great price, adequate room for a family around town, etc. but in the end ended up wanting to go totally electric. If the Outlander PHEV had been available in N. America I sure would have seriously looked at it, at this point I'm probably fine with my Leafs and old(but still reliable) Prius for long trips and borrowing a relative's 24 MPG :( SUV for occasional camping trips, which really makes me appreciate the Leaf or Prius :lol:
I realize not everyone has an opportunity to borrow such a vehicle in which case, if they were going to own just one vehicle something like the Outlander, would be a decent choice for an all in one vehicle. Not great in any one department, but probably cheaper than owning 2 or even 3 vehicles.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

AndyH

Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 pm

jjeff wrote:AndyH, I appreciate your real world postings :)

Glad to help!
jjeff wrote:...if they were going to own just one vehicle something like the Outlander, would be a decent choice for an all in one vehicle. Not great in any one department, but probably cheaper than owning 2 or even 3 vehicles.

Definitely cheaper than owning more vehicles. 8-)

Folks are using the EVBattMon app as well as PHEVWatchDog to get cell-level data. Here's an example from the 69 vehicles in the PHEV WatchDog beta program (one of those is mine). Yes, most of those are in Europe where speed limits are lower. I think you nailed it, though - it's very much like the difference between the 'detached number crunchers working from incomplete data' and 'real world' info we saw when the Volt launched...and the LEAF...and probably the 1969 Dodge Ch@rger. 'Cause car people. :lol:

(Hang on...we can attach images on the MyOutlander forum but not here...)

(This beta version with data uploads to the website has only been on the streets since mid-winter. Since most of the cars are reporting from Europe, and since it's been a stupid cold winter there, I expect the numbers to improve once they get a full year's worth of data logged.)
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

AndyH

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Went for a drive today. 158 miles traveled round trip. Nearly all highway - less than 5 miles were on 45 mph secondary roads. Eco mode on, AC on, cruise control set on 65. I drove 10 miles in EV mode, then selected 'charge hold' until I got to within 10 miles of the destination and finished the drive on the battery. MPG when I arrived was 42.9. After shopping, I drove 5 miles down the road and got 20 minutes of CHAdeMO goodness - added 6.3 Ah. Finished the drive home using the charge hold until I was 12 miles out, then switched to EV mode to arrive with no battery. Round trip fuel economy was 44.6 MPG.

Guy - does that get closer to your thoughts on driving into town to use the charge once in the city limit? Or do you have other thoughts in mind?

Also, since I think I'm missing you in other areas as well, what sort of capability or upgrades do you think you or other Americans would want in order to make the car more useful to them?
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”