scottf200
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Zythryn wrote:Tesla will start rolling out smaller, easier to install superchargers in more urban centers.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/blog/superc ... edirect=no

These will have a max charge rate of 75kW, but will not be affected if two Tesla's are charging at the same time next to each other.
We shall have to see if they can deploy these as quickly, but I like the fact they continue to adapt and make changes.


More details and more pictures of the two locations (including boxes with chargers in them) here:
Title: First look at Tesla’s new kind of Supercharger station with design refresh
Fred Lambert - Sep. 11th 2017 2:25 pm ET

https://electrek.co/2017/09/11/first-lo ... r-station/

While I'm posting here are yesterdays supercharge.info updates/changes
Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
RIP Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

GRA
Posts: 7427
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 pm

scottf200 wrote:<snip> While I'm posting here are yesterdays supercharge.info updates/changes
Image

And I'll again add that only two of those four are listed as open by Tesla yet. I leave it up to those who may be counting on them to check which are which for yourself.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 548
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 am

jlv wrote:supercharge.info isn't showing the new Boston SC yet. Tesla is showing 6 other "in Boston" SCs (presumably the 75kW units), all 'Target opening by end of 2018'.

It showed up today. (of course the additional 6 expansion locations aren't shown yet)
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

GRA
Posts: 7427
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:26 pm

For dgpcolorado, I see that Tesla has added future SCs in Montrose and Telluride to its SC map (and maybe Walsenburg too; can't remember if that on was already on the map): https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/37.69003,-121.9220689,37.5458348,-122.21913799999999,d?search=supercharger, All are listed as having end of 2018 target opening dates, unlike Aspen, Poncha Springs and Alamosa which all still show end of 2017 dates. Kayenta's also listed as end of 2018, as are most of the new sites on I-84, I-15 and I-25. In short, Tesla's now revising the map they put out at the start of 2017 to more accurately reflect reality for existing planned sites, while adding even more hypothetical future sites. Sigh - when are they going to grow up.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 am

GRA wrote:For dgpcolorado, I see that Tesla has added future SCs in Montrose and Telluride to its SC map (and maybe Walsenburg too; can't remember if that on was already on the map): https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/37.69003,-121.9220689,37.5458348,-122.21913799999999,d?search=supercharger, All are listed as having end of 2018 target opening dates, unlike Aspen, Poncha Springs and Alamosa which all still show end of 2017 dates. Kayenta's also listed as end of 2018, as are most of the new sites on I-84, I-15 and I-25. In short, Tesla's now revising the map they put out at the start of 2017 to more accurately reflect reality for existing planned sites, while adding even more hypothetical future sites. Sigh - when are they going to grow up.
Yes, I saw the ones planned for Montrose and Telluride and the delay for Kayenta.

I've been in contact with a city official in Montrose who handles public charging there; he had contacted Tesla for a Supercharger Station in Montrose several years ago. No idea where Tesla would want to put the new Supercharger Station in Montrose, not that I wouldn't have suggestions if they asked. That one (along with Poncha Springs) would open up US 50 over Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, US 550 over Red Mountain Pass to Durango and Farmington and, along with the Telluride Supercharger Station, it would open up SH 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez and the Four Corners area. A lot of really scenic territory would be very easy to visit with those two proposed Supercharger Stations.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA
Posts: 7427
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:For dgpcolorado, I see that Tesla has added future SCs in Montrose and Telluride to its SC map (and maybe Walsenburg too; can't remember if that on was already on the map): https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/37.69003,-121.9220689,37.5458348,-122.21913799999999,d?search=supercharger, All are listed as having end of 2018 target opening dates, unlike Aspen, Poncha Springs and Alamosa which all still show end of 2017 dates. Kayenta's also listed as end of 2018, as are most of the new sites on I-84, I-15 and I-25. In short, Tesla's now revising the map they put out at the start of 2017 to more accurately reflect reality for existing planned sites, while adding even more hypothetical future sites. Sigh - when are they going to grow up.
Yes, I saw the ones planned for Montrose and Telluride and the delay for Kayenta.

I've been in contact with a city official in Montrose who handles public charging there; he had contacted Tesla for a Supercharger Station in Montrose several years ago. No idea where Tesla would want to put the new Supercharger Station in Montrose, not that I wouldn't have suggestions if they asked. That one (along with Poncha Springs) would open up US 50 over Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, US 550 over Red Mountain Pass to Durango and Farmington and, along with the Telluride Supercharger Station, it would open up SH 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez and the Four Corners area. A lot of really scenic territory would be very easy to visit with those two proposed Supercharger Stations.

Yes. The weird thing to me was that they didn't include Montrose along with Poncha Springs from the start, as they're at opposite ends of a 125 mile mountainous leg that includes a 5,500 ft. climb (followed by a 3,800 ft. descent) when eastbound. I'm glad they're putting the one in Telluride for the reason you state.

Putting one in Gunnison eventually so people can easily make it to/from Crested Butte in winter, as well as eliminating any worries at all about the Montrose - Poncha Springs leg, seems an obvious addition. And I still want to see SCs in Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs and South Fork to cover all of U.S. 160, and it wouldn't hurt to have one in Ouray or Silverton, unlikely though that may be; at least there are some Tesla L2s in Ouray.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 2965
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

GRA wrote:Yes. The weird thing to me was that they didn't include Montrose along with Poncha Springs from the start, as they're at opposite ends of a 125 mile mountainous leg that includes a 5,500 ft. climb (followed by a 3,800 ft. descent) when eastbound. I'm glad they're putting the one in Telluride for the reason you state.

Putting one in Gunnison eventually so people can easily make it to/from Crested Butte in winter, as well as eliminating any worries at all about the Montrose - Poncha Springs leg, seems an obvious addition. And I still want to see SCs in Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs and South Fork to cover all of U.S. 160, and it wouldn't hurt to have one in Ouray or Silverton, unlikely though that may be; at least there are some Tesla L2s in Ouray.
The only one on your list I was surprised not to see is Cortez. The others seem rather low priority given how many other parts of the country need better coverage. Mountain trip legs are much easier to do than interstate legs because of lower overall speeds and reduced drag from the considerable altitude, IME. The proposed Supercharger Stations will have things well covered in western Colorado if/when they happen. The one I really want is Poncha Springs (although I'd rather have it in Salida). That would save me 40 miles on trips to Denver and that route over Monarch Pass and through South Park is more fun to drive and more scenic than I-70.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

SageBrush
Posts: 1406
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 am

dgpcolorado wrote:I've been in contact with a city official in Montrose who handles public charging there; he had contacted Tesla for a Supercharger Station in Montrose several years ago. No idea where Tesla would want to put the new Supercharger Station in Montrose, not that I wouldn't have suggestions if they asked. That one (along with Poncha Springs) would open up US 50 over Monarch Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, US 550 over Red Mountain Pass to Durango and Farmington and, along with the Telluride Supercharger Station, it would open up SH 145 over Lizard Head Pass to Cortez and the Four Corners area. A lot of really scenic territory would be very easy to visit with those two proposed Supercharger Stations.


Yes !!!
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

scottf200
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 pm

i.imgur.com/3xsctGg.jpg
Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
RIP Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

GRA
Posts: 7427
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:02 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:Yes. The weird thing to me was that they didn't include Montrose along with Poncha Springs from the start, as they're at opposite ends of a 125 mile mountainous leg that includes a 5,500 ft. climb (followed by a 3,800 ft. descent) when eastbound. I'm glad they're putting the one in Telluride for the reason you state.

Putting one in Gunnison eventually so people can easily make it to/from Crested Butte in winter, as well as eliminating any worries at all about the Montrose - Poncha Springs leg, seems an obvious addition. And I still want to see SCs in Durango, Cortez, Pagosa Springs and South Fork to cover all of U.S. 160, and it wouldn't hurt to have one in Ouray or Silverton, unlikely though that may be; at least there are some Tesla L2s in Ouray.
The only one on your list I was surprised not to see is Cortez. The others seem rather low priority given how many other parts of the country need better coverage. Mountain trip legs are much easier to do than interstate legs because of lower overall speeds and reduced drag from the considerable altitude, IME. The proposed Supercharger Stations will have things well covered in western Colorado if/when they happen. The one I really want is Poncha Springs (although I'd rather have it in Salida). That would save me 40 miles on trips to Denver and that route over Monarch Pass and through South Park is more fun to drive and more scenic than I-70.

Yes, most of these are filling in the remaining gaps on smaller roads, unlike Cortez which is need to allow travel to Mesa Verde along with travel to/from Moab, Blanding and Kayenta. Pagosa Springs provides the most direct access to western Colorado from the Santa Fe/Taos area, instead of having to detour over to Alamosa. South Fork is 126 miles at the opposite end of S.R. 149 from Gunnison, and will be a low priority. Durango serves as the eastern gateway to Mesa Verde rather than Mancos, while doing double-duty as the southern end of 550.

The intent of the list from my perspective isn't to see how far apart we can safely put SCs, although that will be the initial stage, but to ultimately make them as convenient as gas stations to eliminate any remaining range worries so people can just drive the cars without planning, which requires spacing them no more than about 1/2 hour apart, and at or near all major road intersections. I would probably add one in Ridgway as well, although the Telluride one ( a 31 mile round trip detour from Placerville) will have to serve initially for travel along 145/90 west to Moab for small battery cars. As traffic is likely to be light on that route, it's not a high priority. I'd probably add one in Silverton, as it sits between two passes. Future SCs should also go in Leadville and Fairplay, and Granby or Grand Lake to cover the west end of Trail Ridge Road - I'd say that last one's a higher priority than most of the ones I've already listed, probably tied with Cortez.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”