edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Many complaint threads developing RE less-than-super charge rates at Tesla DC sites.

AFAIK from reading many of these posts, TSLA has produced no explanation for its problems, and multiple causes are suggested.

Most , like the post below, report kW rates that may sound OK to a LEAF driver, but still mean waiting several hours for a most-of-a-pack charge for a Tesla.

Degraded superchargers are a continuing problem

I took a road trip from LA to Vegas, and experienced 40 kW max at both Redondo and Primm superchargers. I was not sharing a stall pair, it was around 80*F, and charging in the 10-40% range where my car normally gets 100-110 kW (which my car got just fine the next day). After my trip, I called customer service and the rep was able to instantly look up supercharger info and confirm that those locations were degraded, and he could see everyone else getting <40 kW. Why can phone reps see this info instantly but we can't? Max charge rate and degradation should be added to the "stalls available" info on the touchscreen map so we can plan around the problems. I was late to work and had passengers, so this gave their perception of Tesla a black eye. Also this was my third road trip this year where I've run into this, so the individual supercharger problems really need to be fixed faster because it's way too common, especially with the mass production of model 3's starting soon...

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/co ... g_problem/

Superchargers super-slow

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... 32/page-19

charging slow at Superchargers

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... 394/page-7

Has there been any clarification on Supercharger throttling...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... 619/page-4
no condition is permanent

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:02 pm

More BS from the troll.
No charger network is better maintained than Tesla, and finding a couple examples of problems does not change that fact.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

TonyWilliams

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 am

SageBrush wrote:More BS from the troll.
No charger network is better maintained than Tesla, and finding a couple examples of problems does not change that fact.

Just to be clear, there's no shortage of Tesla trolls here!!!

I have experienced slower charge rates than normal at a Supercharger from time to time, but it has always been fixed by moving to another available Supercharger (and nobody on the other A/B side).

But, you are correct; there is no better maintained DC fast charging network, and no better planned and implemented network. And, no other network is faster.

The next best network plan is probably what VW has planned, and even its most wild dreams do not compete with what Tesla has today.

SAD.

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:50 am

There do seem to be some non-critical, heat-related issues at Superchargers. This summer, we made multiple trips up and down US 395 in our Model S, between Reno and SoCal. Our best charge rates (pretty close to optimal) were invariably at the Mammoth Lakes SC, which also happens by far to be the coolest SC location along 395. Even in 40C temperatures at other SCs, though, we never saw worse than 54 kW (on a low/medium battery charge). This also held true on our most recent trip to northern CO and southeastern WY which culminated in our viewing the total solar eclipse, with just one exception - we only got about 30 kW from a problematic "temporary" charger at a site in Denver that's on Tesla's list for expansion.

Overall, we haven't found the reduction in charge rates at hot locations to be more than a minor annoyance. It's an issue that Tesla needs to continue to address, but I don't see it as a major hindrance in any way. The fact is that it's been pretty easy for us to use the Tesla for trips in relatively remote areas without the need for extreme planning or driving more slowly than "normal". With the most recent releases of the in-car nav software, long trips are pretty user friendly.
2011 LEAF at 71K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 at 98K miles
LEAF battery: 9/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-28% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm

I know some here seem to find fullfillment scraping the internet for anything Tesla-negative.
I'm no Tesla troll and I agree, abasile, It is an annoyance.
I've been Supercharging since May 2013 and just did 3000 miles of long distance travel over the last 2 weeks.
From Park City to SoCal, the slow (~48kW) charging added about an hour on to an already tiring 12 hour drive. It bugged me.
This issue is recent to my experience; as in the last 8-10 months.
I don't know if it's a temp thing.
Friday, I charged at Harris Ranch in 105 F heat and got ~100kW from 50-100 miles.
Sunday night (80 F) at Bakersfield it was 100kW for 3 mins (35 mi) then 60 kW the rest of the time. Almost no other chargers were occupied.
Something is off with the network. I'd like it addressed but it's pretty small potatoes.
I planned to charge at Buttonwillow last night and when I pulled in the whole town was blacked out (very windy, dusty, rainy conditions).
I felt fortunate that Tesla has another SC just 6 miles down the road in Bakersfield. No worries, did 350 miles in 6.7 hours. Try that in another EV.

Evoforce
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2015

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm

The fact still remains, that it appears that other car manufacturers, really aren't wanting to sell electric cars in the US at this point in time. So, they don't really care if charging infrastructure is readily available. It is pretty easy for Tesla to lead the pack with charging infrastucture, in this regard, even with some inconveniences.
*2011 Leaf 1 bought 2/28/15 @ 28,000ish mi 10 bar (8 bars @ 11/25/15 @ 37,453 ) (New lizard @ 39,275 mi @ 1/20/2016) Now 52,166 mi.
*Tesla Model S 61,000 mi
*2011 Leaf 2 bought 4/28/15 @ 24,000ish mi 12 bar (new lizard Dec. 2014 @ 22,273 mi) Now 35,485 mi

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:27 am

sparky wrote:I did 350 miles in 6.7 hours. Try that in another EV.

I did 300 miles in 4 hours in my Leaf. It was being towed... :mrgreen:

This seems to be a get what you pay for situation. Used Leaf, $9,000, 11 bars, I do a 140 mile trip every weekend, and that's pushing it's limit. $35,000 for a Tesla 3. Too bad there isn't a Tesla SC station anywhere close to me. Then again, if I had a Tesla I'd only use those when far away anyway.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 am

edatoakrun wrote:Many complaint threads developing RE less-than-super charge rates at Tesla DC sites.

AFAIK from reading many of these posts, TSLA has produced no explanation for its problems, and multiple causes are suggested...

Reading those threads (at top of this page) the argument has been made by some that TSLA is intentionally reducing available kW rates at certain locations, at certain times, presumably to lower costs.

Not a bad Idea, BTW, in a "free" system, that cannot use pricing as a rationing method.

Any reason to believe, or disbelieve, that this is what is actually happening?
no condition is permanent

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 pm

IssacZachary wrote:
sparky wrote:Too bad there isn't a Tesla SC station anywhere close to me. Then again, if I had a Tesla I'd only use those when far away anyway.
It looks like there are several SC close to you -- close enough for any trip you'd want to make at least.

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/38 ... ison,%20CO

You've got Grand Junction 124 miles via US 50 W.
And Poncha Springs is on the expansion list for 2017, just 60 miles via US 50 E.
Until then, Colorado Springs (166 miles east) might be reachable on a S 75 today.

As intended, you'd only be SCing when on a trip, not while at home, of course.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:35 pm

jlv wrote:
IssacZachary wrote:
sparky wrote:Too bad there isn't a Tesla SC station anywhere close to me. Then again, if I had a Tesla I'd only use those when far away anyway.
It looks like there are several SC close to you -- close enough for any trip you'd want to make at least.

https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/38 ... ison,%20CO

You've got Grand Junction 124 miles via US 50 W.
And Poncha Springs is on the expansion list for 2017, just 60 miles via US 50 E.
Until then, Colorado Springs (166 miles east) might be reachable on a S 75 today.

As intended, you'd only be SCing when on a trip, not while at home, of course.

A charging station in Poncha Springs! Maybe you should work for Tesla because you could probably sell people like me those cars! I've been hoping for a normal L2 station there for my Leaf. Now I'll be going by there clear to Salida and then look back and realize that had I a Tesla I could turn there and continue, either north or south, without going clear to Salida first and then back.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”