GRA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:22 pm

With the opening of Lincoln (1/5) and Grand Island, NE (1/6), I-80/76 is (finally) initially complete from Cleveland to Denver. Still remaining to finish I-80, 4 SCs for Wyoming (Evanston/Rocksprings/Rawlins/Laramie) plus one more in western NE (Sidney or Kimball), and two in Pennsylvania.
Last edited by GRA on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

abasile
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 am

It's been reported on TMC (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1908042/) that the Barstow, CA site has added four more Superchargers, for a total of twelve. Currently, the additional Superchargers are "temporary" units, but it's expected they'll be replaced with permanent units at some point. This is a much-needed expansion for the LA<-->Vegas corridor!
2011 LEAF at 67K miles, pre-owned 2012 Tesla S 85 now at 80K miles
LEAF battery: 10/12 bars and < 49 Ah (-27% vs. new)
Tesla battery: 250+ miles of range (-5% vs. new)

GRA

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Lima, MT opened today, completing I-15 from SoCal north to Butte, MT.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Zythryn

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Specifics, and prices are out now.

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Decent prices, but enough of a cost to dissuade locals from clogging up supercharger stations.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 pm

Zythryn wrote:Specifics, and prices are out now.

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Decent prices, but enough of a cost to dissuade locals from clogging up supercharger stations.

Indeed re: prices. 20 cents/kWh for California is not bad. It's cheaper for DC FCing than ripoff EVgo w/o a monthly fee ($4.95 to start + 20 cents/minute) and Blink for DC FCing (59 cents/kWh for members here).

Heck, even Blink L2 is 49 cents/kwh. Hope this causes the above providers to be more price competitive.

And, even then, for some folks in high tiers of expensive utilities like PG&E, 20 cents/kWh is cheaper than the marginal cost to charge at home. Non-TOU plan of E1 (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf) is 40 cents/kWh in tier 3. Many/most households w/an EV driven more than a short distance w/o PV will hit tier 3.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Zythryn

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 am

cwerdna wrote:...

And, even then, for some folks in high tiers of expensive utilities like PG&E, 20 cents/kWh is cheaper than the marginal cost to charge at home. Non-TOU plan of E1 (https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf) is 40 cents/kWh in tier 3. Many/most households w/an EV driven more than a short distance w/o PV will hit tier 3.

Wouldn't most households with an EV be enrolled in the EV TOU program?
Previous owner of Prius, Volt & Leaf
Current owner of Model S
http://www.netzeromn.com

sendler2112
Delivery Date: 07 Jan 2016

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:18 am

My provider in Syracuse NY actually ends up charging more for TOU electricity until you consume at an industrial scale. Makes no sense.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:42 am

sendler2112 wrote:My provider in Syracuse NY actually ends up charging more for TOU electricity until you consume at an industrial scale. Makes no sense.

I think their reasoning is that it costs them more to install/monitor your time of use rather than a straight meter. We have a lot of hydro and nuclear here, so our electricity rates are relatively low to begin with.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am

cwerdna wrote:Indeed re: prices. 20 cents/kWh for California is not bad. It's cheaper for DC FCing than ripoff EVgo w/o a monthly fee ($4.95 to start + 20 cents/minute) and Blink for DC FCing (59 cents/kWh for members here).

Heck, even Blink L2 is 49 cents/kwh. Hope this causes the above providers to be more price competitive.
I don't think that Tesla's pricing will have much impact on Blink and other EV charging companies. Tesla isn't pricing to make a profit on DCFC but the other companies must do so. And Tesla isn't really competing directly with Blink and the others since EVs other than Teslas can't use Superchargers. It is true that Teslas won't likely use a Blink DCFC station if there is a Supercharger Station nearby, but the Bolt and other DCFC capable EVs may not have any other options if they want a fast charge.
Even in this scenario there is the time and convenience factor. Some people were willing to use Supercharger Stations when they were free of cost. Will they be as willing to spend the time and trouble to do so to save 20¢/kWh? Some perhaps, but others may go for the convenience of home charging, assuming they have that option. And I presume that most EV owners will choose a better rate plan if practical for their household usage pattern. Regardless, the incentive to camp out at Supercharger Stations is considerably reduced for cars on the new Tesla Supercharging rate plan, especially with the 40¢/minute idle fee.

Tesla chose 400 kWh free per year because that would cover most owners' limited road trip needs. I find that interesting because I did 9000 miles of road trips in my first nine months! But I didn't get my car for urban commuting; I got it, in large part, for road trips.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:Tesla chose 400 kWh free per year because that would cover most owners' limited road trip needs. I find that interesting because I did 9000 miles of road trips in my first nine months! But I didn't get my car for urban commuting; I got it, in large part, for road trips.

I have a short commute, but I'm a bit of a weekend warrior. I do roughly 10k miles/year of road tripping per year.

Hmm.. if a Tesla gets 3 miles/kWh, that's 3,333kWh per year. That's well over the 400kWh Tesla is giving owners.

Of course, that assume all of that road trip uses the Supercharger network. In reality, the first charge of every weekend are from charging at home. So that's 60kWh / week or 3120 kWh/year.

So even with my 10k miles/year enabled by the superchargers, I'd only actually use it for about 200kWh, or half of my allowance.

Seems like Tesla did their homework, and is being very generous to boot.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”