JeffN
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

sparky wrote:Speaking of magical thinking:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/15/usa-gets-1st-non-tesla-high-power-ev-charging-station-evgo/
"LOS ANGELES – Dec. 15, 2016 – EVgo, operator of the nation’s largest network of public electric vehicle (EV) fast charging stations, today announced it has broken ground on the very first High-Power U.S. public charging station in Baker, California, home of the World’s Tallest Thermometer. EVgo is turning up the heat on EV charging with a station capable of charging at a rate of up to 350kW....
...EVgo expects the project to be completed by June 2017.
"

Nope. Maybe Feb 2018?
Not exactly news to people who bought a Bolt in 2017, thinking they might be able to actually drive it to Vegas before the New Year.

Throwing rocks is easy. Delivering useful stuff is hard. I hope EVgo gets this going soon. The EV community would benefit greatly if the other charge network operators missed goals the way Tesla does.


I’ve driven a Bolt EV to Vegas. The trick is to fully charge in Victorville and keep your speed down. I drove in mild summer weather and stayed down around 60 mph and had enough range to make it to Vegas itself with no problem. At faster speeds or in winter with heater usage you might need to plan on stopping for a charge in Primm, Nevada.

In any case, EVgo’s new chargers in Baker will make it easier to do. EVgo now says Baker will be up and running during the first quarter of 2018.

Also, here’s a map of Electrify America’s planned highway charging network:

http://www.hybridcars.com/new-year-brin ... -highways/

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1770
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm

JeffN wrote:
sparky wrote:Speaking of magical thinking:
https://cleantechnica.com/2016/12/15/usa-gets-1st-non-tesla-high-power-ev-charging-station-evgo/
"LOS ANGELES – Dec. 15, 2016 – EVgo, operator of the nation’s largest network of public electric vehicle (EV) fast charging stations, today announced it has broken ground on the very first High-Power U.S. public charging station in Baker, California, home of the World’s Tallest Thermometer. EVgo is turning up the heat on EV charging with a station capable of charging at a rate of up to 350kW....
...EVgo expects the project to be completed by June 2017.
"

Nope. Maybe Feb 2018?
Not exactly news to people who bought a Bolt in 2017, thinking they might be able to actually drive it to Vegas before the New Year.

Throwing rocks is easy. Delivering useful stuff is hard. I hope EVgo gets this going soon. The EV community would benefit greatly if the other charge network operators missed goals the way Tesla does.


I’ve driven a Bolt EV to Vegas. The trick is to fully charge in Victorville and keep your speed down. I drove in mild summer weather and stayed down around 60 mph and had enough range to make it to Vegas itself with no problem. At faster speeds or in winter with heater usage you might need to plan on stopping for a charge in Primm, Nevada.

In any case, EVgo’s new chargers in Baker will make it easier to do. EVgo now says Baker will be up and running during the first quarter of 2018.

Also, here’s a map of Electrify America’s planned highway charging network:

http://www.hybridcars.com/new-year-brin ... -highways/


This is an awesome discussion, keep it up. But perhaps it belongs in another thread. Anyway willing to keep us posted on data on Non-Tesla (i.e. CHAdeMO / CCS) quick charging network growth?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

hyperionmark
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017
Location: Nebraska

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 am

Alex Roy just did the Cannonball Run in a Model 3 in a little over 50 hours. Curious what time you could do in a Bolt?

scottf200
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 am

A pretty busy Feb so far even tho it is 'winter'. ie. 32F in Sheffield, OH and 27F in Fishers, IN currently.

Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10066
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:00 pm

hyperionmark wrote:Alex Roy just did the Cannonball Run in a Model 3 in a little over 50 hours. Curious what time you could do in a Bolt?


I calculated 6 days.

hyperionmark
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017
Location: Nebraska

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:Alex Roy just did the Cannonball Run in a Model 3 in a little over 50 hours. Curious what time you could do in a Bolt?


I calculated 6 days.

Thanks! Assuming good conditions, you aren't waiting on chargers, and that none are broken down?

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 1770
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 pm

hyperionmark wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:
hyperionmark wrote:Alex Roy just did the Cannonball Run in a Model 3 in a little over 50 hours. Curious what time you could do in a Bolt?


I calculated 6 days.

Thanks! Assuming good conditions, you aren't waiting on chargers, and that none are broken down?


Here's a really simplified calculation:

Assuming best case scenario, the Bolt can replenish about 100 miles (EPA) in 30 minutes. That's 200 miles/hr.

Google says it is 2,777 miles from LA to NYC: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/LA/NYC/@37.545347,-105.1083998,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80c2c75ddc27da13:0xe22fdf6f254608f4!2m2!1d-118.2436849!2d34.0522342!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c24fa5d33f083b:0xc80b8f06e177fe62!2m2!1d-74.0059728!2d40.7127753.

Assuming you start with a full charge, and always hit a 150A charger exactly where you needed it, and never had to wait (none of which would happen in the real world), you have (2777-238)/200 = 12.7 hours of charging.

Google maps says that the drive is 42 hours.

If absolutely every condition was perfect (and assuming you averaged EPA efficiency), the Bolt could do it in 55 hours.

In reality, Tony's prediction is more likely to be the case today.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

scottf200
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote: always hit a 150A charger exactly where you needed it,...

If absolutely every condition was perfect (and assuming you averaged EPA efficiency), the Bolt could do it in 55 hours.
In reality, Tony's prediction is more likely to be the case today.
Haha, come on... what a ridiculous theoretical post.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

palmermd
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011
Location: Hermosa Beach, CA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

scottf200 wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote: always hit a 150A charger exactly where you needed it,...

If absolutely every condition was perfect (and assuming you averaged EPA efficiency), the Bolt could do it in 55 hours.
In reality, Tony's prediction is more likely to be the case today.
Haha, come on... what a ridiculous theoretical post.


I thought it was interesting that even theoretically perfect setup they can't even beat an actual run in a Model 3 (in the middle of winter, in the middle of the winters biggest storm).
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996


First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

scottf200
Posts: 1737
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm

palmermd wrote:
scottf200 wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote: always hit a 150A charger exactly where you needed it,...

If absolutely every condition was perfect (and assuming you averaged EPA efficiency), the Bolt could do it in 55 hours.
In reality, Tony's prediction is more likely to be the case today.
Haha, come on... what a ridiculous theoretical post.
I thought it was interesting that even theoretically perfect setup they can't even beat an actual run in a Model 3 (in the middle of winter, in the middle of the winters biggest storm).
Related charts below:

Supercharger speed: 116kW -- Tony Williams TMC post -- https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... 6kw.107619

1 February 2017 @ Kettleman City, California USA

Blue below is miles added. At 40 minutes still doing 46kW after initial max of 116kW and at 79% SOC (about 240 miles).

Image

Comparison

(see orange Charge Rate(kW) line -- about 35 to 45 kW
and yellow State Of Charge (SOC) line below
after a 40 minute charge (5:27-6:07) ):
https://bro05.blogspot.com/2017/03/fast ... -bolt.html
Image
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”