Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Stations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi...

If you're only charging at Ecotricity rapids at motorway service stations, you don't need a cable at all. They have tethered cables.

I suggest Nissan consider building some stations between Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico and Tucson, AZ, USA. One rationale is that Hermosillo does now seem to have a Leaf-oriented Nissan dealership and a little bit of charge infrastructure. Also: there is a lot of construction going on Mexico route 15 between Hermosillo and Nogales, AZ, USA. It might be a good time to negotiate to include some public EVSE. There is also a Nissan dealership in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico which I think eventually should be certified as a leaf dealer, and so why not do this sooner rather than later (especially with Nogales, Sonora having so many potential drivers).

plugshare.com can give an idea of the route, and what is already there along this route:

https://www.plugshare.com/

This route is one that people travel for pleasure (visiting the beaches) and for business. I don't really know if it will be profitable in the near-term to put stations up, but I do think it could be worthwhile to sell Leafs in Nogales, Sonora and then to explore the question of building out dc quick charging from these Leaf cities.

As I understand it, in general Nissan has a very strong presence in Mexico.

Do all Nissan dealers prohibit charging after-hours? Or is it a dealer-by-dealer policy?

For me, the most useful new DCFC locations would be at the fringe of the metro area, where the "beltway" crosses arterial freeways. Having DCFC at the edge of the metro would open-up a much larger area where I could drive (e.g. to destinationts 40 miles out from the beltway). The most useful time for using these stations would be evenings/weekends, when I am traveling.

Coincidently, many Nissan dealerships are located in similar areas: along the beltway, near arterial traffic corridors. Many dealers already have a DCFC station. Unfortunately, these charging stations are usually not available to customers outside of business hours.

These charging locations are a sunk cost to the dealer, and could provide a valuable service to customers. Nissan should request of its dealers that they make these chargers available in the evenings, when customers are traveling: if not 24x7, then at-least during typical driving hours (e.g. 6am-midnight).

Concerns
- Some dealers may have their parking lot blocked-off at night; in these cases the charging station could be moved to a better location. (Note: none of the dealers in my metro area block their parking lot in the evening, and certainly not their service bay. Maybe the auto mechanics in Mayberry still go home at 5pm, but not here).
- Dealers often need to plug-in a Leaf overnight to have it "fresh and ready" for delivery or a test-drive appointment in the morning. A Level 2 charging station is inexpensive and better suited to that task.

Other benefits
- Placing quick chargers near the service department will increase customer awareness of the valuable services which the dealership can provide.

I have been trying to drive long distances in the New York city area and in the Hudson river valley area. I STRONGLY BELIEVE that, (as Tesla has done), NISAN, the dealers and the MAKERS of the Leaf should ALL have QC chargers in their dealerships. Otherwise when you are traveling, level 2 chargers require 1 hour of charging for every 30 miles of travel. That is unacceptable if you want to use the car for long distance.

Nissan, as a great marketing strategy (like tesla has always done), should have these chargers VISIBLE AND USED by the public. I have visited dealers with level 2 AND QC chargers, that are placed in the rear of the parking lots, always unused, broken, and surrounded by ICE cars... That is a waste of money, and a put down of the new EV technology...

I found a great dealer in (Central Avenue Nissan) YONKERS, NY that has BOTH LEVEL 2 AND QC CHARGERS!, and it is the salvation for me to travel upstate of NYC. They have placed level 2 AND QC chargers along the service building driveway (where no one can park and block the chargers!!) Only very visible Leaf cars can park in these spots!! THAT IS GREAT!! I can charge in 30 minutes. Also, I must applaud Yorktown Heights Nissan for putting 2 (TWO) level 2 chargers AT THEIR FRONT DOOR TO THEIR SHOWROOM!!! I have congratulated the dealership manager for this, and think that this is the way of the future. They should also install qc charging at their front door parking spaces!!

SO NISSAN!! Put QC chargers by your front door of your dealerships!! You will get FREE advertising of the Leaf, and help Leaf customers use this great car for long trips. There are so many Nissan dealers in the US..... How about a great network of QC chargers! THAT WOULD DISPENSE WITH THE PUBLIC'S COMPLAINT OF RANGE ANXIETY, AND MAKE THE LEAF AS SERIOUS IN THE MARKET PLACE AS THE TESLA. The Leaf would then INSTANTLY become a true cross-country vehicle, and a hot car in people's short attention span....

After all, the only REAL selling point of TESLA is that they have a nationwide network of chargers. Otherwise, it is just a super expensive toy for the rich... Without the dealership charging, the Tesla is just a specialty car... Not a mainstream public workhorse...

specialgreen said:
Do all Nissan dealers prohibit charging after-hours? Or is it a dealer-by-dealer policy?
[...]
Nissan should request of its dealers that they make these chargers available in the evenings, when customers are traveling: if not 24x7, then at-least during typical driving hours (e.g. 6am-midnight).
[...]
I think your points are good ones, but I fear it will be years before Nissan listens. I hope I'm wrong, and I state it this way to get Nissan to prove me wrong, but I am concerned that they are just going to take forever on this.
(Just my personal opinion.).

specialgreen said:
Dealer-by-dealer. One dealer near me has their whole lot barricaded when they are closed, making the CHAdeMO and L2 inaccessible. The other dealer doesn't. I bought the car from the later.

You do not have to buy the car from the dealer you charge at.... When I travel, try to ALWAYS charge at the Nissan dealers, and ask if they have or will have a chademo charger. If everyone does this, Nissan will see a lot of EV user BODIES in the dealer ($$$), and be more hospitable to the EV driver needs.

Plus, you get free charging, and have a nice place to sit, watch TV, eat, and relax, and use their WIFI. Not to mention that the good feeling that you are the only one in the service department waiting area that doesn't pay tons of money to get your car fixed...

powersurge said:
You do not have to buy the car from the dealer you charge at.... When I travel, try to ALWAYS charge at the Nissan dealers, and ask if they have or will have a chademo charger. If everyone does this, Nissan will see a lot of EV user BODIES in the dealer ($$$), and be more hospitable to the EV driver needs.

Plus, you get free charging, and have a nice place to sit, watch TV, eat, and relax, and use their WIFI. Not to mention that the good feeling that you are the only one in the service department waiting area that doesn't pay tons of money to get your car fixed...

I don't understand your logic, it seems to contradict itself. Help me out here.

What Nissan will see is a ton of people visiting their dealerships' waiting rooms, watching TV, using their WIFI, drinking complementary coffee and eating snacks, without paying any significant amount of money to do so. Why is this appealing to Nissan or their dealers?

1. I suggest this Nissan dealership in Mexico, just across the line from Nogales, Arizona.
http://www.nissannogales.com.mx

I have once visited this dealership and they were helpful. This is a relatively highly populated area (200k-300k) and I think might be good for some EV sales. A hotel in town just installed a Tesla destination charge station, and we can see from the map that the dealership and town are on a somewhat well-traveled path from Phoenix down to San Carlos, and going through Hermosillo where there are two Nissan dealerships with stations.
https://www.plugshare.com/
https://www.plugshare.com/location/154486

2) Also, on a related note , much of the road between Nogales, Sonora and Hermosillo was constructed and improved over the last few years, and I think would be ripe for a few DC Quick charge stations, perhaps at OXXO stores, for example.

3) Also, on a related note, we could use a quick charge station somewhere on the road from Nogales, AZ to Tucson, AZ. There are plans in the works to put some additional charging at the "Station 34" project in Tubac, though I don't know if that will include DC Quick charging.

i don't know if this was mentioned, but how about everywhere where there's a Tesla Charging station? It's kind of lame when you're on a road trip and you stop at a campground to charge off of 120V all night because there's no other place you can charge a Leaf and then come to find out there's a Tesla DCQC station in the same town.

IssacZachary said:
i don't know if this was mentioned, but how about everywhere where there's a Tesla Charging station? It's kind of lame when you're on a road trip and you stop at a campground to charge off of 120V all night because there's no other place you can charge a Leaf and then come to find out there's a Tesla DCQC station in the same town.

it seems like an idea, at least to pay attention to where Tesla is putting stations, in coming up with ideas for where to put stations that might be helpful to Leaf drivers.

I don't have a good sense of whether, or to what extent, Nissan is paying attention to suggestions and needs from drivers.... and on charge stations, I have lost track of whether Nissan is very active these days as to trying to serve paying customers by judicious placement of, or support of placement of, stations.

Going back to some of the earlier conversations a few years ago.... as to stations located at the dealerships near me, they did not appear to respond to our points that if stations were to be located at dealerships and available to Leaf drivers (on the face of it, a good idea), then it would be useful if the stations were available 24x7x365, and not just during dealership hours. Maybe in some sense Nissan has addressed some of this by also collaborating with other charge station providers on separate projects.

^^^
I wish they would speak up about this either here or some other channel (e.g. EV press).

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-to-deploy-dual-fast-chargers-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-electric-vehicle-drivers was announced in 2015.

I stumbled across http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-once-again-to-expand-dc-fast-charger-access-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-ev-drivers from Jan 2017.

jlsoaz said:
I don't have a good sense of whether, or to what extent, Nissan is paying attention to suggestions and needs from drivers.... and on charge stations, I have lost track of whether Nissan is very active these days as to trying to serve paying customers by judicious placement of, or support of placement of, stations.
They certainly aren't paying attention to this thread!

cwerdna said:
^^^
I wish they would speak up about this either here or some other channel (e.g. EV press).

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-to-deploy-dual-fast-chargers-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-electric-vehicle-drivers was announced in 2015.

I stumbled across http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-once-again-to-expand-dc-fast-charger-access-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-ev-drivers from Jan 2017.

Thanks, this is good information to go back and remember. If I take a fresh look and remind myself that Nissan is working in conjunction with EVgo, and consider that EVgo has in fact come into Tucson and helped to stabilize what was a clearly inadequate situation as to DC charging, then I'm quite glad to see that, and that's something to credit Nissan with.

Dear Nissan:

First, I was reviewing the press release from 2017

https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-and-bmw-partner-once-again-to-expand-dc-fast-charger-access-across-the-u-s-to-benefit-ev-drivers

I want to say:
_**thank you**_
for partnering with BMW and EVgo to install a reliable and well-supported DC Quick-Charge Station in Tucson.

I can't tell if you have partnered on one or both of these but going by the reviews, these two EVgo stations that are in Tucson have really upped the ante on establishing a much better public quick-charging infrastructure that drivers can count on.
https://www.plugshare.com/location/82981
https://www.plugshare.com/location/92262

I don't presently drive a vehicle that can make use of these stations, but I'm considering trading my Volt for a BEV as soon as I can afford a used BEV with a liquid-cooled battery pack and a 150-200+ mile range. These types of public infrastructure moves will help me lean toward making that BEV purchase decision.

2. Next, here are some new inter-related ideas (or at least ones I haven't mentioned in awhile):

(Note: EVgo does not make it easier to figure out how to get in touch with them directly to request or suggest a station for one's area, so that is another reason I am mentioning here:)

Please consider that there is only one single working public L2 station, and no DCQC, between Tucson and Hermosillo (a drive of 241 miles). With this in mind I suggest:
a) consider allowing the Nogales, Mexico Nissan dealership to sell Leafs. I don't know all the considerations that go into this, but I do know that Nissan has a very strong leadership position in Mexico (about 20-25% of sales by unit volume?). The population of Nogales, Mexico is 200,000+ people and I suspect there could be a few potential EV sales. In the past, with the Leaf's poor cooling system, sales in Arizona and Mexico may have been a poor idea (since the vehicles would so quickly lose their residual value without a battery replacement), but now that liquid cooling is coming into play (or so I've heard), I suggest this would be a good time to revisit the question of selling those liquid cooled Leafs in Nogales, Mexico.

b) along with this (or even if Nissan decides not to sell Leafs quite yet in Nogales), please consider partnering with EVgo to install one or more public charge stations between Tucson and Hermosillo. That is a stretch of about 60 miles on the US side, and then about 180 miles on the Mexican side. The highway on the Mexican side has recently been going through significant and impressive upgrades and the timing may help a little with installing one or two along that stretch (even if they are just L2). There are dozens of candidate sites on both sides, and I will refrain from listing some, but please feel free to have someone contact me if they want some ideas. I am somewhat involved in that I have partnered to install that one station that's already along the route, and can offer some ideas.

GetOffYourGas said:
jlsoaz said:
(Note: EVgo does not make it easier to figure out how to get in touch with them directly to request or suggest a station for one's area, so that is another reason I am mentioning here:)

On the contrary. EVGo has an ongoing request for suggestions. I highly recommend you fill it out!

https://www.evgo.com/fast-charger-location/

Thanks, I should have been more clear, what I meant was that they do not make it easy to have a direct conversation with someone there (I am having trouble remebering, but I think I have filled out a request form on their site). But yes, thanks for the info, I'll fill out this other form which I'm not sure I've done before.

I certainly wish EVGo would provide some insight into their vision. With everyone (Electrify America, ChargePoint, Tesla, multiple state governments) talking about their vision for near-future network expansion, it would be great to hear from the current leader of non-Tesla chargers.

Back