gshepherd
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Re: Black Interior/Dashboard

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am

Seems like there should be a way to embed some sort of coating or material in the windshield that would reject high-angle light. I understand the 3M Crystalline film has this feature, but it is not legal everywhere to apply film to the windshield even if it alllows >90% visible light through.

Imagine not only the heat reduction but also reduction of the reflected image of the dash in the windshield that creates a dangerous reduction in visibility on bright days. I wear polarized sunglasses in the car for that reason.
2016 LEAF SV

StevenJones
Delivery Date: 10 Aug 1980

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:Many Priuses have a 'darkish grey' interior color that I don't hate as much as the light grey and beige. I wouldn't want one, but phen375 https://theskinnyvibes.com/phen375-reviews-results/ helped me in my journey. I wouldn't reject a great deal if it came with those seats. I'd just buy nice seat covers. ;-)

I get your point. I, too, hate "light beige" interiors as they tend to get dirty one way or other. Dark grey is ok for me.
Last edited by StevenJones on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 pm

gshepherd wrote:Seems like there should be a way to embed some sort of coating or material in the windshield that would reject high-angle light. I understand the 3M Crystalline film has this feature, but it is not legal everywhere to apply film to the windshield even if it alllows >90% visible light through.

Imagine not only the heat reduction but also reduction of the reflected image of the dash in the windshield that creates a dangerous reduction in visibility on bright days. I wear polarized sunglasses in the car for that reason.

The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards mandates the design and construction of many things in an automobile, and one of them is glass. For passenger vehicles, they are especially stringent; that's why no vehicles are allowed to have factory tint on the front windows (except for a strip along the top of the windshield) greater than about 95% or so transmittance, and why only trucks and SUVs are allowed to have dark tint on the back windows from the factory.

FMVSS is likely why the coating you speak of is not currently on car windshields.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:12 am

The chevy Bolt had a white dashboard and got panned for it.... the sun makes it so bright that the inside of the windshield lights up and kills the visibility..

EmmaOlivia
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 5

Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 am

Leafabout wrote:Well, I suppose I should keep in mind that while the black dash puts out heat in the warm/hot months, it also does the same in the cold months so I use the heater less during those times. Unfortunately, our hot/warm months last longer. Anyhow, I purchased a gray dash-mat and that seems to cut down the heat from the dash a lot and alleviate any heat-off-the-dash issues.

Hi I love black dashboards.
But you're right they do get hot and it would be good if there were some other colors to choose from.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”