Climate Control on Steering Wheel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Computerizer

As important as climate control is to the range of the LEAF, I find myself changing the settings quite often (e.g. turning defog on and off as needed in the wet weather here). I previously had a 2008 Prius in which I could do a lot of climate control options on the steering wheel: Auto on/off, Defog on/off, Rear defog & heated mirrors on/off, and temperature up/down. I can't do any of this on my LEAF without going over to the center dash, which I find really frustrating!

I'm with you man! I still have my 2008 Prius as my "backup" car -trying to sell it but no luck has salvage title. I LOVE the climate controls on the steering wheel. Gives you an idea of how ahead of the curve toyota was on the old prius. I miss the touch screen controls for climate too - all Star Trecky.

Nissan - give us more buttons!!!

Compared to other cars I have owned and rented (including a few Nissans), the steering wheel controls layout in the Leaf is TERRIBLE in my opinion. The buttons are too small, some are more difficult to use (in particular the volume control which is too close to the one below it) and the layout is just plain unintuitive.

Adding more buttons on the steering wheel would just make a bad design even worse.

TomT said:
It has to be! I mean, moving your hand one foot to the right is a gigantic inconvenience? And changing the CC that often? Really?

thankyouOB said:
this thread is a parody, right?

I'm totally serious. This drives me crazy. I live in a wet & cold climate and often have to turn the defogger on several times per day. I got so used to being able to do it with my thumb in my 2008 Prius!

Computerizer said:
TomT said:
It has to be! I mean, moving your hand one foot to the right is a gigantic inconvenience? And changing the CC that often? Really?

thankyouOB said:
this thread is a parody, right?

I'm totally serious. This drives me crazy. I live in a wet & cold climate and often have to turn the defogger on several times per day. I got so used to being able to do it with my thumb in my 2008 Prius!
Heh. As a driver of the same gen of Prius, I liked being able to turn the heater temp up/down w/my thumb. It's better than having to reach over, press Climate (to switch to the climate screen) and then push on the up or down buttons on the touchscreen. On that gen of Prius, there were no hardware buttons (except on the steering wheel) for any of the HVAC controls. It was all done via touchscreen. It was more distracting than using the 3 knobs on my former 350Z.

I don't turn the defogger on/off much.

In the pacific northwest, the Leaf is always fogged up. I have to run AC and heat all day every day or I can't drive. Stupid design - wonder if I could put some of that anti-fog goop for like ski googles. I'm constantly fiddling with the climate control to extend my range but now that I've found that Blink doesn't charge for the quickcharge, I'm saying to hell with efficiency, safety is more important.

Also, the recirc goes on and off to respond to diesel exhaust and other undesirable odors, like the cigarette smokers in the car next to me. I'm starting to sound a little whiny so I'll just shut up now. :mrgreen:

Back