jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Stations?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi -

I tried looking through this forum and elsewhere a bit, but am not sure where to go for suggesting to Nissan where I'd like to see a quick charge station. It isn't clear to me if NIssan is only installing their equipment at dealers or also in other general locations, and I'm also not sure which major network these chargers might or might not be listed on (or will they have their own network.

This web page doesn't quite seem to have a map or an indication of a standard network?
http://nissanqc.com/

Suggestions:

- In general, perhaps we could have this or another thread to consolidate suggestions to Nissan as to where some of us are keen to see chargers whether at dealerships and (depending on the answer as to whether Nissan is also considering installing elsewhere) perhaps in other places.

- With other EVSE installers and operators, (Blink for example) there is often a map one can access along with a discussion forum mechanism for suggested locations. I can't quite seem to find a map of present location of Nissan QC's (I checked a couple, maybe I just didn't check the right one?). I guess I think it might be a good idea for Nissan to make sure that their dealer-located and any other QC stations are listed on at least one of the readily available map networks (along with the list available on the vehicle dashboard, which I'm assuming would have the information).
Last edited by jlsoaz on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=229
opinions expressed are my own

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: Thread for suggested locations for Nissan EVSE

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

Note: Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs. You should change your title. (You can do that by editing the first post.) As clarification, an EVSE is a switch and safety mechanism which takes AC power from the wall and passes it as AC power at the same voltage to the charger in the car, which converts it to DC power and passes it to the battery. A Quick Charger takes AC power from the wall and converts it to DC power, passing that directly to the battery.

Many of us believe that the best map to use is the crowd-sourced one that is independent of brand or distributer: Plug Share.

It might be good to have a thread like this, though I thought the focus for Nissan chargers was going to be putting them at dealerships. There have been similar discussions for other types or locations. Two that I am aware of are:
ChargePoint Request A Station web page
San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

jlsoaz

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 am

planet4ever wrote:Note: Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs. You should change your title. (You can do that by editing the first post.) As clarification, an EVSE is a switch and safety mechanism which takes AC power from the wall and passes it as AC power at the same voltage to the charger in the car, which converts it to DC power and passes it to the battery. A Quick Charger takes AC power from the wall and converts it to DC power, passing that directly to the battery.

Many of us believe that the best map to use is the crowd-sourced one that is independent of brand or distributer: Plug Share.

It might be good to have a thread like this, though I thought the focus for Nissan chargers was going to be putting them at dealerships. There have been similar discussions for other types or locations. Two that I am aware of are:
ChargePoint Request A Station web page
San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

Ray

Thanks Ray, my understanding of EVSE is that it stands for "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", which is to say all types of charge stations including, but not limited to, fast (quick) charging stations. If I said "EV Charging Stations" someone would probably say "no, that's incorrect, you have to say 'EVSE'", so I said "EVSE". I'll consider whether I should change it to incorporate EV Charging Stations wording.

I checked plugshare before I posted, but unless I am mistaken (and I certainly could be) they do not seem to be covering Nissan's deployment.

Thanks for the info about the chargepoint request stations page. I believe I have left a note or two there, as well as on the blink page, but I'm not sure if either of them listen that much. Since Nissan seems to be deploying charge stations because of their perception that infrastructure is being deployed too slowly and not necessarily where it is needed by Leaf drivers, my question is really where can we discuss where we need it on a path that is geared toward communicating with Nissan.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:41 am

^^^
Please see viewtopic.php?p=262630#p262630.

Many US Nissan dealers (maybe all the ones which sell Leafs) already have L2 EVSEs installed, usually the Nissan-branded AeroVironment ones. Few in the US, if any (so far) have CHAdeMO DC quick chargers.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

jlsoaz

Re: Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Station

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am

cwerdna wrote:^^^

Many US Nissan dealers (maybe all the ones which sell Leafs) already have L2 EVSEs installed, usually the Nissan-branded AeroVironment ones. Few in the US, if any (so far) have CHAdeMO DC quick chargers.

Hi cwerdna:

Please see what, a thread discussing range issues? What does this have to do with expressing to Nissan where we'd like to see charge stations, or with finding a map of existing Nissan stations? Perhaps you meant to reference a different link? Or perhaps I am not understanding why you referenced that link?
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I need one in Yakima, WA
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
planet4ever wrote:Your title says EVSE, but your subject is Quick Charge. Quick Chargers are chargers, not EVSEs.

Thanks Ray, my understanding of EVSE is that it stands for "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", which is to say all types of charge stations including, but not limited to, fast (quick) charging stations.

+1

I have to side with jlsoaz on this one.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

cwerdna
Gold Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

jlsoaz wrote:
cwerdna wrote:^^^

Hi cwerdna:

Please see what, a thread discussing range issues? What does this have to do with expressing to Nissan where we'd like to see charge stations, or with finding a map of existing Nissan stations? Perhaps you meant to reference a different link? Or perhaps I am not understanding why you referenced that link?

That's the right link. Notice the diagram that planet4ever posted on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm re: EVSE, DC quick chargers, the on-board charger (OBC) and battery?

'06 Prius

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm

I think the last thing Nissan needs are suggestions on where to locate charging stations. They have more data than you know about the cars and our driving habits, so they know exactly where to locate charging stations for maximum effectiveness. If it makes you feel better to tell Nissan where a charging station would do the most good for you, by all means go ahead and relay the information to them...But I don't think it is necessary...

cwerdna
Gold Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Randy wrote:I think the last thing Nissan needs are suggestions on where to locate charging stations. They have more data than you know about the cars and our driving habits, so they know exactly where to locate charging stations for maximum effectiveness. If it makes you feel better to tell Nissan where a charging station would do the most good for you, by all means go ahead and relay the information to them...But I don't think it is necessary...

I disagree. The data they have is related to where the cars can easily go now. Installing DC fast/quick chargers and even just L2 EVSEs (more helpful w/the 6.6 kW charger on the '13) at places where they don't exist now will enable driving to/between places that were previously too inconvenient.

And, people have different perspectives and some folks have needs that others may not know about. For example, FalconFour really wants infrastructure around Fresno. IIRC, there are some Nissan dealers there that don't even have L2 EVSEs.

I suggested placing QCs along I-5 at viewtopic.php?p=109125#p109125 but someone else suggested 99 at viewtopic.php?p=109166#p109166. Then, there was also discussion about 101 w/reasons given at viewtopic.php?p=110614#p110614.

'06 Prius

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”