DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Re: Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Station

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:33 pm

NISSAN REP,

Please somehow "ask" (read demand) that as part of your dealer network, to help the adoption of the leaf that all dealers make their level 2 charging (free or for fee) available 24x7. On Sundays, and other non-dealer days, the charger needs to be available.

Thank you
2013 SV Black
Miles: 17500
Average Carwings/Dash Efficiency: 4.5-6.5M/KWh (summer) ~2.8-3.9 winter
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87), Max distance 120 miles

jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:NISSAN REP,

Please somehow "ask" (read demand) that as part of your dealer network, to help the adoption of the leaf that all dealers make their level 2 charging (free or for fee) available 24x7. On Sundays, and other non-dealer days, the charger needs to be available.

Thank you

I don't know about the 'demand' part but I do agree with the thrust of this.... Nissan should be aware that when they install EVSE at dealers and where in some cases it is not available 24x7, then in some ways this is really not that useful (outside of usefulness to the dealer and drivers during business hours).

Around here the two Nissan dealers don't seem to be open Sundays (when I usually need a charger in their area) and of course nights. I've discussed this with them and I guess it's a security issue from their standpoint. All the entrances are blocked off, to prevent theft.

I have in mind that not only is it not available 24x7 at the two Tucson dealerships, but there is a new Ford construction going on, on a key route where there is no EVSE to speak of (headed to Nogales), and it is a sister dealership to one of the Nissan dealerships. It has been difficult to get traction on the matter of speaking to them about constructing their EVSE so it can be reached 24x7 (they may be doing this, but I haven't had a conversation where that comes out).

Maybe part of the answer would be in some cases to locate a Chargepoint or other networked charger near the Nissan or other dealer, such as at a gas station, or just a few feet outside the dealer lot, in a well-lit area (if such exists) by agreement or arrangement with the dealer or Nissan.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=229
opinions expressed are my own

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Be great to have DC quick chargers along 5 or 99 and 101... agree about Monterey... and then why not king city and Atascadero... then Santa Barbara.
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:05 pm

cwerdna wrote:How about some between San Jose and Salinas or Monterey, CA?

From a quick check on Plugshare, I see no "High Power Stations" when you go south of San Jose in that direction other than some Tesla Superchargers in Gilroy.

I used to sometimes visit Monterey (and may be doing so more in the future) and from where I live in the South Bay, I can barely make it to Monterey but it seems it'd be rather inconvenient, costly and/or time consuming to find and use L2 to make the return trip.

I did want to visit http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/ in Pebble Beach to test drive some cars (went last year) but Leafing there and back would be impractical.

To follow up on this, I learned about the DC FC at CHOMP recently (viewtopic.php?p=354353#p354353). Weird location...

IMHO, there should be a DC FC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. And, maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.

Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Turnover
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 410371

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Reddy wrote:I need one in Yakima, WA

How about Ellensburg, Yakima, Pasco, Hermiston, & Pendleton? DCQC's ?
2012 SL:
03/30/16 43,300 mi - 383 QC's & 2467 L1/L2's 79% SOH
2013 SV (#410371) - Purchased 4/25/2016:
4/28/16 18,115 mi- 4 QC's & 705 L1/L2's 97% SOH
2/18/17 28,756 mi- 66.17 AHr, SOH 100%, Hx 101.45% 284 GiDs

Becky50
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 019032

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:16 pm

"Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area." Posted by cwerdna

I wholeheartedly agree with the above quote.

jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:59 pm

FWIW, I'd selfishly like to see a fast charger outside of (i.e.: actually open to the public 24x7 the Ford Dealership (which is under new ownership) at exit 69 on I-19 south of Tucson. I am fine with paying to use the charger. I have several times attempted to find a way to communicate with ownership at the company which has recently taken ownership (which also owns the dealership that leased me my Nissan) and have run into a wall of nothingness. I will apparently never be allowed to speak with anyone high up at that organization.

So, Nissan could cut through some bureaucracy for me here by helping me to communicate with the local dealership to identify if this situation warrants consideration of putting in an open-to the-public fast-charger.

However, since there are only a very tiny number of BEVs located south of this area, (less than half-a-dozen I'll estimate) I could see the arguments against it. It won't get much use.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=229
opinions expressed are my own

cwerdna
Gold Member

Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:50 pm

Anyone have more? This thread's been dormant for over 6 months.
cwerdna wrote:To follow up on this, I learned about the DC FC at CHOMP recently (viewtopic.php?p=354353#p354353). Weird location...

IMHO, there should be a DC FC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. And, maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.

Beside the CHOMP location, some in/around Monterey and Carmel would be nice. All of this would help enable travel between the Bay Area and Monterey/Carmel. Morgan Hill and Gilroy would enable travel to Watsonville and Gilroy (where there are factory outlets).

Some DC FCs in Santa Cruz and maybe Scotts Valley would be helpful in enabling traveling to Santa Cruz from much of the Bay Area.

There's been nothing new in terms of CHAdeMO at the above suggested locations. Maybe besides the above locations, Watsonville would be nice too.

Then we still have a huge hole between Monterey and San Luis Obisbo and Santa Barbara.

'06 Prius

TaylorSFGuy
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1561

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 pm

I would suggest replacing a couple of the Blink Level 2 units at the Hampton Inn, Dupont WA with a QC. That is about half way between Fife and Tumwater and would fill a gap south of Seattle.
Mileage as of May 19, 2016 is 150,000 - 147 GID at 100%

Ordered Jan. 21, 2011 Delivered May 13, 2011

Number of months with highest mileage on Carwings - 23

First LEAF to 100,000 Miles in USA if not worldwide
First non commercial LEAF to 150,000 Miles

cwerdna
Gold Member

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:33 pm

TaylorSFGuy wrote:I would suggest replacing a couple of the Blink Level 2 units at the Hampton Inn, Dupont WA with a QC. That is about half way between Fife and Tumwater and would fill a gap south of Seattle.

You really want Blink?

If they're non-networked, Clipper Creek would be the way to go. If networked, I think Chargepoint would be a better choice. Their hardware seems to be more reliable and it seems like hardware of their network is repaired more quickly.

'06 Prius

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”