Compdoc777
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 406920

Sports leaf with more power lower stance and better looks

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 am

I would like a sport leaf with more power say 120 kW or more. Somthing light and nice looking like the Z with all the amenities of the Leaf SL. Something I can autocross, and drive daily.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Sports leaf with more power lower stance and better look

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:56 am

I seriously doubt there is enough of a market to support such a limited demand unit at the elevated price it would have to command... Better off getting a Tesla...

Compdoc777 wrote:I would like a sport leaf with more power say 120 kW or more. Somthing light and nice looking like the Z with all the amenities of the Leaf SL. Something I can autocross, and drive daily.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:06 am

For the time being, any hopes of Nissan coming up with an upmarket electric stablemate to the Leaf were dashed when they postponed, if not outright cancelled, the Infiniti LE.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 am

I've suggested elsewhere that they simply offer a sportier Leaf with the old power characteristics and stiffer suspension on the existing platform. With NISMO offering a suspension upgrade and "tuned" controller, they already have pretty much everything the need to do it off the shelf. If you want a faster leaf, just buy and install those parts from NISMO, along with the bigger alloy wheels. You don't need a vastly more powerful motor, or larger battery pack. You just need the NISMO controller with much more power in "Normal" (which should be called "Sport") mode, and more regenerative braking in Eco mode to partially make up for the lost range. They could always omit the back seats as well, as an option.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:02 am

LeftieBiker wrote:I've suggested elsewhere that they simply offer a sportier Leaf with the old power characteristics and stiffer suspension on the existing platform. With NISMO offering a suspension upgrade and "tuned" controller, they already have pretty much everything the need to do it off the shelf. If you want a faster leaf, just buy and install those parts from NISMO, along with the bigger alloy wheels. You don't need a vastly more powerful motor, or larger battery pack. You just need the NISMO controller with much more power in "Normal" (which should be called "Sport") mode, and more regenerative braking in Eco mode to partially make up for the lost range. They could always omit the back seats as well, as an option.

while the gadgets needed to create the build you are looking for might be easily obtainable the question remains is there a market for such a car?
right now the sales levels of the LEAF are miniscule in comparison to mainstream ICE vehcicles.
your suggestion to further fragment this small market IMHO makes little sense from a manufacturing standpoint
if you want to beef up your LEAF great, to try and sell it on a larger scale isn't really feasible now.
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

kentuckyleaf
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 21857

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 am

I like this idea. Omit the rear seat, lower the car, increase battery capacity, and add the option of a small range extender. Basically an i3 at a Nissan price.
Top Ten Ways We Save Energy At Home
Our Wordpress Blog
Video of our Leaf in action
2012 SL Cayenne Red
Currently over 14,000 miles on the ODO

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:27 am

Compdoc777 wrote:... Somthing light and nice looking like the Z with all the amenities of the Leaf SL. Something I can autocross, and drive daily...

See the Esflow threads:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2671&start=190
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12306&start=10

I'm still hoping Nissan will build it, so that I use the ESFLOW for long trips and pleasure driving, and relegate my 2011 LEAF to the family truckster duties, for which the LEAF is the ideal vehicle.

RonDawg

For the time being, any hopes of Nissan coming up with an upmarket electric stablemate to the Leaf were dashed when they postponed, if not outright cancelled, the Infiniti LE .

I've seen no suggestions that the LE has been "cancelled", though that could occur, of course.

In fact, Infiniti still (perhaps correctly, IMO) states:

...More than just fantasy, the Infiniti LE Concept becomes reality in 2014...

http://www.infinitiusa.com/Infiniti-LE-Concept/
no condition is permanent

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:41 pm

apvbguy wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:I've suggested elsewhere that they simply offer a sportier Leaf with the old power characteristics and stiffer suspension on the existing platform. With NISMO offering a suspension upgrade and "tuned" controller, they already have pretty much everything the need to do it off the shelf. If you want a faster leaf, just buy and install those parts from NISMO, along with the bigger alloy wheels. You don't need a vastly more powerful motor, or larger battery pack. You just need the NISMO controller with much more power in "Normal" (which should be called "Sport") mode, and more regenerative braking in Eco mode to partially make up for the lost range. They could always omit the back seats as well, as an option.

while the gadgets needed to create the build you are looking for might be easily obtainable the question remains is there a market for such a car?
right now the sales levels of the LEAF are miniscule in comparison to mainstream ICE vehcicles.
your suggestion to further fragment this small market IMHO makes little sense from a manufacturing standpoint
if you want to beef up your LEAF great, to try and sell it on a larger scale isn't really feasible now.

The nice thing about my suggestion is that they don't really even have to "create the build", just offer the parts to dealers who want to try selling it as an option package. Then the market could be determined. Nissan might have to "create" a new section of carpeting for the rear seat area, but that's about it.
Last edited by LeftieBiker on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

apvbguy
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2013

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:55 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
The nice thing about my suggestion is that they don't rally even ave to "create the build", just offer the parts to dealers who want to try selling it as an option package. Then the market could be determined. Nissan might have to "create" a new section of carpeting for the rear seat area, but that's about it.

I don't think Nissan would get into it but someone offering the aftermarket upgrades is probably the way to implement the concept.
In fact it might be something that makes the car more attractive to people who aren't too thrilled with the "unusual" look of the car.
WARNING This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:04 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
RonDawg

For the time being, any hopes of Nissan coming up with an upmarket electric stablemate to the Leaf were dashed when they postponed, if not outright cancelled, the Infiniti LE .

I've seen no suggestions that the LE has been "cancelled", though that could occur, of course.

In fact, Infiniti still (perhaps correctly, IMO) states:

...More than just fantasy, the Infiniti LE Concept becomes reality in 2014...

http://www.infinitiusa.com/Infiniti-LE-Concept/

Per the article below, the Infiniti LE is "on hold indefinitely." It quotes Infiniti CEO Johan de Nysschen.

http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/infi ... efinitely/

Publicly stated reason:

Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Goshn recently announced a goal to boost Infiniti annual sales from 170,000 vehicles to 500,000 units by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017. Infiniti CEO Johan de Nysschen doesn’t believe the goal is attainable, especially if Infiniti focuses on launching the electric LE vehicles.

However, I think it has a lot to do with Elon Musk's recent announcement that he was going to bring an EV in the "$30k price range" but would be superior in every way to the Leaf. Infiniti's decision to delay (perhaps forever) the LE was published not long after Musk's announcement.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”