dheywood71
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 8:40 am
Delivery Date: 27 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 6086

Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I drive my Leaf every day on a twisty mountain highway for 60 km each way.
I would really like a stiffer suspension with less body roll.
Can anyone suggest what I need to change to accomplish this.
I enjoy the smooth ride but when you start leaning through the twists it gets a little unnerve.

JohnOver
Gold Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:06 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4232
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains near Hwy 17 & Summit Rd
Contact: Website

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 pm

dheywood71 wrote:I drive my Leaf every day on a twisty mountain highway for 60 km each way.
I would really like a stiffer suspension with less body roll.
Can anyone suggest what I need to change to accomplish this.
I enjoy the smooth ride but when you start leaning through the twists it gets a little unnerve.


I totally agree! I've upgraded form the stock wheels and Ecrappia tires to wheels that are 1" bigger and therefeor the tires are 1/2" less side wall. It makes a big difference, but the body roll in turns on mountain roads (every day to work and back) is too excessive. Sometimes it's so much that when hitting a bump in a turn triggers the stability control, limiting power and applying the brake to one of the wheels. Without all the body roll, I don't think that the bump would have perturbed the suspension enough to trigger the nanny to come on...
2011 LEAF (Silver SL+QC) - 6/24/11 (on 2/3/08 reserved an Aptera 2e #372)
AV EVSE, plus Ingineer's 240V upgrade, and a fist full of adapters
Other cars: '05 Honda Accord Hybrid, '96 Honda Odyssey
6.5 kW PV, making ~24 kWh per day (average).

pointlomadave
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 9:04 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2013

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:29 am

I have a 2013 Leaf S, I'm reading on here that the 2013 susp is either stiffer, or stiffer as a result of the weight reduction on the 2013 model. Either way, I think my car is reasonably firm for what the car is marketed as. That said, I would also appeciate a little more stiffness in the rear which can normally be remedied by a rear sway bar, but in the case of the Leaf with a twist beam axle, this isn't an option. Installing a full coilover setup is not my deisre as I'm not into lowering the car more than maybe an inch, but I really don't want to chase down a custom rear spring setup and the only aftermarket shock I'm seeing for the rear is a KYB GR2 from Tirerack which have typically been 20% stiffer than OEM shocks. They're cheap on there at right around $50 ea. I would just need to find a rear spring then that is OEM height but with increased spring rate by 20%...but I don't think that is going to be available in my searches, so I'm stuck with taking weight out of the rear of the car, which is not my ideal solution to firm up the rear. Don't get me wrong though, I am a weight reduction freak, but I really don't want to have to remove the rear seat & trunk trim to accomplish only a minor gain in rear stiffness. If I didn't have a wife & 2 teens, I'd have already done it tho! Lol.

What I have done, and I've chronicled it in the accessories/mods section recently, is add some 17x9 +35 Enkei RPF1 wheels and some SPC camber bolts (which have increased front grip). The grip level is amazing, but it is a bit disappointing because I KNow it could be even better.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:11 am

I'm thinking maybe not so much stiffness, as rebound rate. Once the tire's been lifted it seems to take too long for it to get its grip going again and you're 3-wheeling it for too long a period. Just my impression. I've never done any tuning in this regard.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Valdemar
Posts: 2380
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:16 pm

I hate Leaf's steering, I think C&D has nailed it:

The steering, however, offers so little feedback, the front wheels might as well be casters operated by remote control.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

kovalb
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Valdemar wrote:I hate Leaf's steering, I think C&D has nailed it:

The steering, however, offers so little feedback, the front wheels might as well be casters operated by remote control.


13MY and newer have firmer steering feel.
2015 LEAF SV Pearl White
My sixth Nissan LEAF
Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

Valdemar
Posts: 2380
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:14 pm

kovalb wrote:
Valdemar wrote:I hate Leaf's steering, I think C&D has nailed it:

The steering, however, offers so little feedback, the front wheels might as well be casters operated by remote control.


13MY and newer have firmer steering feel.


On 16" or 17" wheel diameter from your experience?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

kovalb
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:02 am

Valdemar wrote:
kovalb wrote:
13MY and newer have firmer steering feel.


On 16" or 17" wheel diameter from your experience?

The firmer steering is on all grades that are 13MY and newer, along with increased damping for the suspension. My experience is that the 17" Michelins provide a touch better feel and grip, but at the expense of impacts being felt more firmly. To my knowledge the range is identical for the 16" Bridgestones and 17" Michelins.
2015 LEAF SV Pearl White
My sixth Nissan LEAF
Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

Valdemar
Posts: 2380
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:36 am

kovalb wrote:The firmer steering is on all grades that are 13MY and newer, along with increased damping for the suspension.


Source please? As far as I know there hasn't been an official confirmation from Nissan about any suspension tweaks from 13MY on. Any perceived improvements are likely due to the slightly more low profile tires.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB)
60.5AHr, SOH 94%, 105k miles
9kW Solar

kovalb
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:37 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix

Re: Upgrade Leaf suspension, make it a little stiffer

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Valdemar wrote:
kovalb wrote:The firmer steering is on all grades that are 13MY and newer, along with increased damping for the suspension.


Source please? As far as I know there hasn't been an official confirmation from Nissan about any suspension tweaks from 13MY on. Any perceived improvements are likely due to the slightly more low profile tires.

Please take my word.
2015 LEAF SV Pearl White
My sixth Nissan LEAF
Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”