Ambassador program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

By now, I'm sure you've all read about the new Customer Advisory Board for the Volt. For a long time now, I have thought that Nissan needs to do something similar for the Leaf, albeit on a larger scale: an "Ambassador Program."

The idea is this. Although the initial rollout will occur in only limited states, Nissan could certainly begin laying the groundwork elsewhere by appointing a few key ambassadors among the reservation holders in other areas. They could then sell and deliver Leafs to those ambassadors early, with the condition that they will then make arrangements to introduce, explain, and give test drives of the vehicle to key members of their communities: government officials, utility executives, news reporters, TV and radio personalities, teachers, fleet operators, environmental and consumer groups. Nissan could also provide the ambassadors with brochures and leaflets, to hand out to anyone and everyone who showed interest, wherever the vehicle happened to be at any given moment.

I am not talking about a large number of ambassadors: no more than, say, four per state. After all, 200 Leafs would hardly deplete the 20,000 reserved to date! But think what such advanced exposure could do to educate and interest consumers for when the rollout finally reaches their market. That glimpse of the future would also underscore the need to start building the public infrastructure for EV charging sooner rather than later.

Nissan could invite reservation holders who feel they have the time, talent, and enthusiasm to apply for an ambassadorship. I'm sure there are many EV advocates among us who would jump at the chance to serve in this capacity. Indeed, I'll bet most of us intend to do such "evangelizing" anyway, once we finally take delivery of our Leafs. And as an extra incentive to apply... perhaps Nissan could provide the ambassadors with their EVSEs free-of-charge.

I would gladly submit an application! Anyone else?

I think you're right that we'll all be doing it anyway. I just spent an hour discussing the Leaf with my neighbor on Tuesday. This particular one....we don't really have an ongoing relationship with him, but he made a point of coming to talk to me about the Leaf decal I put on my car. And, of course, I don't think there is a single person at the office who hasn't had their ears talked off already.

Good idea, but so far Nissan is clearly doing the exact opposite (ref Gavin here).

They do not want any Leafs in non-rollout areas, thinking the impression given to all those people you mention will be the wrong impression if anything goes wrong. They seem to fear the non-existent potential bad impressions much more than any possible good impressions such ambassadors could provide.

garygid said:
The harder job is getting the State, Cities, PUs, Planning and Building departs all behind the EVolution.

Nissan's been working that from very early on - most of the Nissan briefing papers we have in our reference docs section came from city government pages after Nissan visited. Others have as well - like Project Get Ready.

Nissan Advocacy:
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-elect...Home.P2#/leaf-electric-car/tags/show/advocacy

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=1497&f=4#p1497

Project Get Ready:
http://www.projectgetready.org/

Dav said:
Good idea, but so far Nissan is clearly doing the exact opposite (ref Gavin here).

I still think that had something to do with the local dealer feeling that he missed out on a sale.

Back