HyperMiler
Delivery Date: 15 Aug 2013

Re: redesign the shifter

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:18 pm

:idea: The metaphor I use is the way the car would move if my hand - via the shifter - would be touching the ground.

The hand would push forward to move the car back, and vice versa.

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Its too late. Just leave it the way it is. We are all used to it now.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

mkjayakumar
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:55 pm

HyperMiler wrote::idea: The metaphor I use is the way the car would move if my hand - via the shifter - would be touching the ground.

The hand would push forward to move the car back, and vice versa.

Or a better example would be, rowing a canoe.

I am used to the way it is, and now I like it.
2011 Leaf, 30K miles, returned after 24 month lease.
Currently leasing 2014 Leaf SV.

rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 17 May 2014
Leaf Number: 337936

Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:16 am

In the age of never having enough cup holders, I find it surprising that auto manufacturers still use anything that resembles a mechanical gear selector and placed in the center console. Most are nothing more than electronic switches. A simple touch pad takes less space, has fewer moving parts, and can be placed on the face of a dashboard in the driver's line of sight. That would free up the center console for a decently placed armrest.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver

aarond12
Delivery Date: 17 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 311353

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 am

rogersleaf wrote:In the age of never having enough cup holders, I find it surprising that auto manufacturers still use anything that resembles a mechanical gear selector and placed in the center console. Most are nothing more than electronic switches. A simple touch pad takes less space, has fewer moving parts, and can be placed on the face of a dashboard in the driver's line of sight. That would free up the center console for a decently placed armrest.

I love the push-button solution that Fiat uses in their 500e. Sadly that vehicle isn't available in Texas.
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES (lease ended) • 2015 Nissan LEAF S • Tesla Model 3 reserved
Mods: Matte black Juke wheels, LED headlights and accessory lights, horn, CarPlay receiver

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 am

rogersleaf wrote:In the age of never having enough cup holders, I find it surprising that auto manufacturers still use anything that resembles a mechanical gear selector and placed in the center console. Most are nothing more than electronic switches. A simple touch pad takes less space, has fewer moving parts, and can be placed on the face of a dashboard in the driver's line of sight. That would free up the center console for a decently placed armrest.
I've never had any issues with the armrest, save that I'd rather it not be fabric covered. The location is fine for me, perhaps because I have the seat all the way back on the track. Sitting so far back is one reason I'm very glad the LEAF doesn't have a dash mounted shifter: it is awkward to reach that far forward.

Like some others here, I think the shifter works fine and I long ago got used to it. And the LEAF is adequately endowed with cup holders.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 17 May 2014
Leaf Number: 337936

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:29 pm

I've never had any issues with the armrest, save that I'd rather it not be fabric covered. The location is fine for me, perhaps because I have the seat all the way back on the track. Sitting so far back is one reason I'm very glad the LEAF doesn't have a dash mounted shifter: it is awkward to reach that far forward.

Like some others here, I think the shifter works fine and I long ago got used to it. And the LEAF is adequately endowed with cup holders.

It's a short leg issue for me. The seat is forward, neither armrest has good position. The Honda Civic I had before this had a sliding center armrest which worked perfect for my size.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”