planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: redesign the shifter

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 pm

CeeDub wrote:the only cars where reverse was not backwards was VW from the 1980s, every other car out there practically has reverse backwards..... especially Japanese cars. It just makes sense, push it forward, go forward. Human nature.
That may be true for most modern cars, but back in my day most cars had three-speed transmissions, and reverse was at the top left of the H.

Code: Select all

R   2
|___|
|   |
1   3
Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Revel in the standardization..... :lol:

http://augerresources.com/shiftpattern.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

CeeDub
Delivery Date: 22 Aug 2013

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:53 pm

planet4ever wrote:
CeeDub wrote:the only cars where reverse was not backwards was VW from the 1980s, every other car out there practically has reverse backwards..... especially Japanese cars. It just makes sense, push it forward, go forward. Human nature.
That may be true for most modern cars, but back in my day most cars had three-speed transmissions, and reverse was at the top left of the H.

Code: Select all

R   2
|___|
|   |
1   3
Ray
wow, that is going back a lil ways. lol!

CeeDub

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Nubo wrote:Revel in the standardization..... :lol:

http://augerresources.com/shiftpattern.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
haha! good stuff, but my original point was why even do the side action and not the standard back n forth
P R N D pattern like most every other automatic on the road. And you can't look at the shifter to see where the
gear selector is. Folks already feel uneasy in new cars, let alone an electric, so why add to it with a shifter you gotta learn? What benefit is there to making the shifter "different" and "odd"?

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:16 pm

CeeDub wrote:What benefit is there to making the shifter "different" and "odd"?
Back in the twentieth century I used all kinds of shifters, some automatic, some manual, some buttons, some on a steering column stalk, some on the floor. For most of the twenty first century I have used one pattern and one pattern only - the one found on the Prius and the LEAF. Anything else seems "different", "odd", and very old-fashioned.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:43 pm

CeeDub wrote: haha! good stuff, but my original point was why even do the side action and not the standard back n forth
P R N D pattern like most every other automatic on the road. And you can't look at the shifter to see where the
gear selector is. Folks already feel uneasy in new cars, let alone an electric, so why add to it with a shifter you gotta learn? What benefit is there to making the shifter "different" and "odd"?
Why not? There's a diagram behind it. There's a light that shows you which is position is selected. It also shows you on the dash. Zoom in on the shifter at http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/ ... #_interior" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As for "different" and "odd", more than 3 million Priuses have been sold worldwide (http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/wo ... illion.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), most of which use a similar shifter and pattern.

As for the above vs. P R N D, well, if you're in Drive, you push forward to go in Reverse. When in Reverse, you pull back to go into Drive.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. Leave the shifter the way it is.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:32 am

Some people can't relearn basic skills, I'm afraid. If you see a Leaf barreling down the road in Reverse, you'll know who it is... ;-)
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 am

CeeDub wrote:
Nubo wrote:Revel in the standardization..... :lol:

haha! good stuff, but my original point was why even do the side action and not the standard back n forth
Well I guess there's a fine line between "distinctive" and "odd". :)

I noticed you're still working with polymers.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 am

^ That neutral start button is interesting - Volvo's current WTCC car has a switch like that, so the engine can be fitted with a manual transmission but not need a clutch pedal.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 82,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

CeeDub

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Some people can't relearn basic skills, I'm afraid. If you see a Leaf barreling down the road in Reverse, you'll know who it is... ;-)
ha! they can go in reverse as fast as they can in drive ya know! Nissan governs it to about 20 mph, but it can be disabeled.... like they did on the most recent episode of Top Gear.... They got it to 57 mph in reverse.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”