dweller92
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 418345
Location: Austin, Texas

car wings and more

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 pm

It would have been nice if Nissan had carwings for the S model. I bought the S model, great car just wish I had carwings on it lol. Also seems that my model does not allow me to set the timer for charging or climate control. What I mean is I can set the timer just not what time I want the charger or climate control to turn off or on. Now if i am shopping I can pull up plug the car in and tell it to keep the climate control on and if I am charging I can set it to charge until a time I want it off. but cant not control when they system to turn on.. which sucks big time

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: carewing and more

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:34 pm

There's a lot of things the s doesn't have that I miss.. especially the more efficient heater! Brrr!. I think the only thing to do is live with it and get a sv or sl next time. It would probably be better money wise just to trade it in on an sv because of all of the other things it has... b mode...heater, navigation, carwings...
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

dweller92
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 418345
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: carewing and more

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:37 pm

What is b mode?

johnrhansen
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: carewing and more

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:03 pm

dweller92 wrote:What is b mode?


I drive an s myself, only drove a leaf with b mode on the test drive. It's more aggressive regenerative braking. In our cars we move the shifter again to go into eco, in cars with b mode it goes into b mode and the d turns into a b. when you let off the gas it really slows down fast. you don't need to keep going back and forth between the brake and gas pedals driving in town. I wish I had it.. I really should have paid extra for the sv. I get sick of feathering the brake pedal just enough so it slows down and not too much so that the friction brakes don't come on.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: carewing and more

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:15 am

dweller92 wrote:It would have been nice if Nissan had carwings for the S model. I bought the S model, great car just wish I had carwings on it lol. Also seems that my model does not allow me to set the timer for charging or climate control. What I mean is I can set the timer just not what time I want the charger or climate control to turn off or on. Now if i am shopping I can pull up plug the car in and tell it to keep the climate control on and if I am charging I can set it to charge until a time I want it off. but cant not control when they system to turn on.. which sucks big time
The whole point of the S model was to strip out some of the bells and whistles of the original LEAFs and lower the price by a lot. I think that Nissan hoped that most people would be enticed by the low price of the S but would eventually buy the SV or SL instead, once they compared features. So far as those extra features go, you get what you pay for and it was your decision to go with the S.

Much as I like the more sophisticated timers on the SV/SL, the feature I would miss most would be cruise control and the 2013 SV/SL feature I would like most is the B mode, since I drive steep hills every time I leave home and it would be very helpful to have for controlling speed on steep descents.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

epirali
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 418541
Location: Maryland

Re: carewing and more

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:05 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
dweller92 wrote:It would have been nice if Nissan had carwings for the S model. I bought the S model, great car just wish I had carwings on it lol. Also seems that my model does not allow me to set the timer for charging or climate control. What I mean is I can set the timer just not what time I want the charger or climate control to turn off or on. Now if i am shopping I can pull up plug the car in and tell it to keep the climate control on and if I am charging I can set it to charge until a time I want it off. but cant not control when they system to turn on.. which sucks big time
The whole point of the S model was to strip out some of the bells and whistles of the original LEAFs and lower the price by a lot. I think that Nissan hoped that most people would be enticed by the low price of the S but would eventually buy the SV or SL instead, once they compared features. So far as those extra features go, you get what you pay for and it was your decision to go with the S.

Much as I like the more sophisticated timers on the SV/SL, the feature I would miss most would be cruise control and the 2013 SV/SL feature I would like most is the B mode, since I drive steep hills every time I leave home and it would be very helpful to have for controlling speed on steep descents.


I almost drove off with an S (didn't really mind the rest), but the improved heater is what made me jump to SV. I am too old (and too lazy I guess) to NOT use the heater in winter, and the efficiency differential was worth it. Having done that the B mode is pretty nice, and Carwings is "nifty" but the heater was the only must have.

But I would still make sure to get the upgraded charger on the S.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: carewing and more

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:37 pm

epirali wrote:...But I would still make sure to get the upgraded charger on the S.
I suppose that depends on where one lives. There are no charge stations of any kind where I live so the charge package wouldn't be useful. When charging at home I don't care if it takes a couple of hours or twice that. Even with 3.3 kW charging I can add enough charge in about an hour (45 Gids) to make a trip to town and back. Longer trips are always planned in advance, so charging for a few hours is easy.

I don't use the cabin heater much so the heat pump would be of little benefit. On shorter trips of 40 miles or less using the old-style PTC heater works fine and isn't an issue with range. On cold mornings preheating plus the steering wheel heater is usually sufficient and reduces the need for the cabin heater even when I do use it (usually for brief defrosting).

We all have our favorite features, depending on situations and use patterns!
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”