mikeEmike
Gold Member

Re: Work with Disney to make Autopia a proper Tomorrowland r

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 am

After reading this post a while back, I decided to try out Autopia the next time I was at Disneyland, which was yesterday. I can see what other posters were complaining about, regarding the exhaust. On a bright note, there was a sign that says Disney is currently researching the use of hydrogen to replace gasoline in the Autopia ride. The sign was cleverly placed right over the where the exhaust fumes are their worst, on the bridge over where the riders board and exit the ride. I'm not sure if that's just lip service, or if they're seriously contemplating it. If they decide to keep the Autopia ride open, hopefully they will use the opportunity to convert over to some alternative fuel to help carry on the original vision of Tomorrowland. The ride in its current state belongs in Frontierland.

eclecticflower
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 021559

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Sounds like the go-karts we have/had at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri (never been to Disneyland). I worked there a couple seasons in the late '70s when I was 15-17 in Ride Operations (you could work extra shifts anywhere in your department, eventually working all rides). We had 2 kinds of go-kart rides: LeTaxiTour (in the Europa section):

http://www.worldsoffun.org/explore/Ride ... 2&ParkID=1

and the Safari cars (in the Africa section):
http://www.worldsoffun.org/explore/Ride ... 8&ParkID=1

My ears would ring long after I was off work. I could never rid my mind of the constant combustible engine noise; I'd hear it even in my sleep (shudder :( ). An electric ride would be so much better.
2012 Cayenne Red LEAF SL: Vanity Plate - G'BYGAS
Reserved 08/10, Ordered 3/12/2012, $99 Refunded 5/16/12, Delivered 6/4/12.

JimSouCal

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:54 pm

mikeEmike wrote:After reading this post a while back, I decided to try out Autopia the next time I was at Disneyland, which was yesterday. I can see what other posters were complaining about, regarding the exhaust. On a bright note, there was a sign that says Disney is currently researching the use of hydrogen to replace gasoline in the Autopia ride. The sign was cleverly placed right over the where the exhaust fumes are their worst, on the bridge over where the riders board and exit the ride. I'm not sure if that's just lip service, or if they're seriously contemplating it. If they decide to keep the Autopia ride open, hopefully they will use the opportunity to convert over to some alternative fuel to help carry on the original vision of Tomorrowland. The ride in its current state belongs in Frontierland.
Hydrogen is, as many know here, problematic on many levels. If they wanted more now, why not CNG? And I really think electric would totally work better than lawnmower engines... BTW, thanks for the firsthand report.

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:51 pm

Seems the disney insurance folks might pause at the thought that highly pressurized vessels full of explosive material. More likely, little battery powered cars silently gliding around on the roadway.
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

JimSouCal

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:44 pm

jsongster wrote:Seems the disney insurance folks might pause at the thought that highly pressurized vessels full of explosive material. More likely, little battery powered cars silently gliding around on the roadway.
I am with you on the electric, but really, gasoline is pretty darn dangerous too. BTW, Disney is self insured, and owns the judges in Orange County as evidenced that almost everybody settles rather than risk a day in court (so I am told by my highly competent personal attorney).

widgetboy

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:25 pm

The autopia in * Hong Kong* Disneyland uses battery electric cars. The cars have speakers which simulate ICE noise. The ride is sponsored by Honda.
Last edited by widgetboy on Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reserved: 8/25/2011 Last delivery estimate: 12/19/2011 Actual Drive Away: 12/16/2011
VIN: 16328 Color: Glacier Pearl EVSE: EVSE L2 Upgrade. evseupgrade.com

jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:45 am

Come on Renault/Nissan... maybe add in Mitsubishi... sponsor Autopia... use the electric cars from Tokyo... mod them with anticollision HW and SW... make it amusing simulate bumping on ride with the brakes... without ever letting the cars actually touch.

What a great way to promote Electric Vehicles. Tomorrowland, 15 minutes in the future... like Max Headroom.
Last edited by jsongster on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

widgetboy

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:09 pm

I corrected my earlier post. It's Hong Kong Disneyland, not Tokyo. Story still applies. :-)

Honda Sponsors the attraction, not an oil company.
Reserved: 8/25/2011 Last delivery estimate: 12/19/2011 Actual Drive Away: 12/16/2011
VIN: 16328 Color: Glacier Pearl EVSE: EVSE L2 Upgrade. evseupgrade.com

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”