Carwings through Wifi instead of cellphone wireless?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czhp01

For Carwings, is that possible to make a Wifi version instead of relying on cell phone network? It might be cheaper. I believe most user only looks up at home or work place where Wifi is most likely available.

Michael,

Can't be done because the only way for Nissan to guarantee a secure connection TO THE CAR is via (closed) cellular network. Remember, the communication path is:

Leaf->Nissan Server->client (web, phone)

That is a rediculis statement! They do have secure wireles ya know? I run a solar system, I can monitore and edit charge setings any where in the world, it is secure so only I can see the data, if I wanted to I could give others read only ability to view it.

If some one wants in bad enough and has the skills they are geting in even with the way nissan does it now given the drive you can hack in and turn every ones heater on high (for example)

So just using the basic system every one ells does we can skip the middle man, and nissan can save to as most cares will be near some form of wireless, keep the cell as a redundant back up, disable it when wireles is availible.

LeftieBiker said:
If nothing else, they should offer the ability to use the car as a WiFi Hotspot, even a slow one.

Agreed! A lot of cars already have this as an (optional) capability. Chrysler's uConnect has been out for 4 years or so now?

I like this idea. Wifi can be done as securely as needed (encrypted VPN...). The configuration can be setup via the smartphone app and sent to the car initially via cellular. It is annoying to wait minutes for an update because it is hard to get a signal in my garage. Or the nightly "you are not plugged in" reminder cannot get sent.

If you want to have a connected car, Wifi will help make it much cheaper and faster.

czhp01 said:
For Carwings, is that possible to make a Wifi version instead of relying on cell phone network? It might be cheaper. I believe most user only looks up at home or work place where Wifi is most likely available.

Michael,
Good idea. This would allow it to keep working after AT&T discontinues the current connection types.

Even if you couldn't access the car from outside the local WiFi network, the car could still connect to the mothership and download updates, probably generally faster and cheaper than cellular.

patrick0101 said:
I like this idea. Wifi can be done as securely as needed (encrypted VPN...). The configuration can be setup via the smartphone app and sent to the car initially via cellular. It is annoying to wait minutes for an update because it is hard to get a signal in my garage. Or the nightly "you are not plugged in" reminder cannot get sent.

If you want to have a connected car, Wifi will help make it much cheaper and faster.

agreed. I upload via secured wi-fi nearly every day for work. cellular service is no more or less secure than any other method if the proper precautions are not taken.

Back