Starting charge at user specified SOC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchard

Could Nissan make it possible for the user to set the charging to begin only when the state of charge (SOC) of the battery is less that a user specified level?

For example, only allow the car to accept a charge when the batter level is less than say 60% SOC, or any other specified SOC.

This would be very useful for those people who have got into the habit of plugging in every night, but realistically have enough range for 3 or more days of driving on a full charge. Having this setting option will limit the number of battery cycles (charges) and perhaps extend the life of the battery? Knowing that I only need to charge every 3 days for example may increase the changes that I forget to plug-in if I try to only plug in every 3 days.

Yes, you can probably program your cell to remind you to charge, but that reminds me too much of a nagging spouse.

Also, please could Nissan provide night time illumination for the lock/unlock door button on the divers door? I have a 2012 LEAF, not sure if it's addressed in the later models?

Otherwise the care is the perfect commuter and family workhorse for us.

Orchard said:
Could Nissan make it possible for the user to set the charging to begin only when the state of charge (SOC) of the battery is less that a user specified level?

For example, only allow the car to accept a charge when the batter level is less than say 60% SOC, or any other specified SOC.

This would be very useful for those people who have got into the habit of plugging in every night, but realistically have enough range for 3 or more days of driving on a full charge. Having this setting option will limit the number of battery cycles (charges) and perhaps extend the life of the battery? Knowing that I only need to charge every 3 days for example may increase the changes that I forget to plug-in if I try to only plug in every 3 days.

Yes, you can probably program your cell to remind you to charge, but that reminds me too much of a nagging spouse.

Also, please could Nissan provide night time illumination for the lock/unlock door button on the divers door? I have a 2012 LEAF, not sure if it's addressed in the later models?

Otherwise the care is the perfect commuter and family workhorse for us.

They could but won't. They struggle with the basics for years and most consumers don't get the value and don't care. Most people do not know the difference between 120/240V.

My newbie habit of checking the SOC every time I pull into our garage has not worn off. I would not rely on an electronic warning that is not better than my own eyes.

In addition to the end-of-day SOC check, I also think about whether tomorrow's activities warrant topping up the battery overnight. As for forgetting to plug it in: that happened once and the resulting paranoia strengthened the aforementioned habits.

JohnBike said:
My newbie habit of checking the SOC every time I pull into our garage has not worn off. I would not rely on an electronic warning that is not better than my own eyes.

In addition to the end-of-day SOC check, I also think about whether tomorrow's activities warrant topping up the battery overnight. As for forgetting to plug it in: that happened once and the resulting paranoia strengthened the aforementioned habits.
Assuming you have CarWings… setup the charging timer on the Leaf, so it only charges from like 5am-6am, and plug it in every night. If you need to top it off, you just launch CarWings and click "start charging"

If you don't have CarWings, you can do the same, but you'll have to go out to the car and press the timer override button.

Back