Suggest drivers vote through dealers on DCQC Locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

So, following on Nissan's announcement of getting more involved with EVSE deployment in the US, about 1.5 years ago, we had this thread where we try to make suggestions to Nissan as to where we'd like to see charge stations go:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thread for suggested locations for Nissan Charge Stations?
Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:21 pm

And progress has been made in getting charge stations out there.

However:

There are plenty of drivers, myself included, who are concerned with the site selection and pace of deployment, particularly of DC Quick Charge stations, not to mention Accelerated Level 2 and conventional L2. We've found, for example, that some Nissan Leaf dealerships have deployed charge stations behind the dealership fence, and lock the fence outside of dealership hours, which means they are located non-optimally for where some of us wanted them, and are not always available when we need them.

Here's an idea (or two):

Nissan works closely with its dealers to set up a national voting program so that each of that dealer's customers can communicate directly with the dealer and vote for (approx.) 3 charge station locations. Some thought is put into how the votes are cast (is a location a specific store, or can it be a spot within a mile or two), and how they are counted, and if possible, Nissan and the dealerships pledge to do their best to work together to identify the most wanted locations and, if funds permit, to install them. Few or none of the voted-upon stations are at dealerships. That is separate.

A largely separate idea is that I sometimes wish there was a mechanism under which communities of drivers could donate/invest/contribute financially to setting up stations. Maybe Nissan or the CHAdeMO association could help explore that idea?

Here is the CHAdeMO industry association:

http://www.chademo.com/wp/mission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe a somewhat modified idea would be to involve them. I've suggested elsewhere that it might turn out to be a useful internet project to allow for voting for desired EV Charge Station location on a map such as they have. Also, they seem to reflect a general understanding of the importance of keeping going with the build-out of quick-charge stations. We see them providing some useful information here (I wish the US were broken out separately, if possible)

http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/changeinchargingstation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jlsoaz said:
A largely separate idea is that I sometimes wish there was a mechanism under which communities of drivers could donate/invest/contribute financially to setting up stations. Maybe Nissan or the CHAdeMO association could help explore that idea?

+10

Provide some way to vote with $$$. I suggested my local Nissan dealer offer to put up a third of cost for a charge location for every 10 LEAFs they sell, and require signage on it stating their contribution. That would make a committed pool of money looking for a location that business owners and employers could count on. And show the buyer that they are in this for the long-term. But if such a pool were organized on a grander scale and my Nissan dealer could contribute $1,000 once-and-a-while, and I could designate $50-$100 towards specific locations via the same pool, then all the better.

kikngas said:
jlsoaz said:

+10

Provide some way to vote with $$$. I suggested my local Nissan dealer offer to put up a third of cost for a charge location for every 10 LEAFs they sell, and require signage on it stating their contribution. That would make a committed pool of money looking for a location that business owners and employers could count on. And show the buyer that they are in this for the long-term. But if such a pool were organized on a grander scale and my Nissan dealer could contribute $1,000 once-and-a-while, and I could designate $50-$100 towards specific locations via the same pool, then all the better.

Sounds good to me. I unfortunately don't have the time to do the heavy lifting of organizing matters, but if someone else does this, I would gladly donate $50-$100 to a quick-charge station or two along certain strategic routes near Tucson.

jlsoaz said:
kikngas said:
jlsoaz said:

+10

Sounds good to me. I unfortunately don't have the time to do the heavy lifting of organizing matters, but if someone else does this, I would gladly donate $50-$100 to a quick-charge station or two along certain strategic routes near Tucson.

I should quickly add: while I empathize that when Nissan dealers go about things, it needs to be done in a certain way I would not donate money to help build a quick-charge station that is behind a dealership fence and so unavailable to me during strategic time periods. It must be available 24x7x365 and reliable.

Back