Real boost in urban areas ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a great idea, until the (presumably very expensive) glass gets cracked from a stray rock. I can see insurance companies charging very high comprehensive coverage rates due to the fancy windshield's replacement costs.

I can also see personal injury lawyers in this country going crazy, blaming their clients' bad driving on a windshield that partially obstructed their view. That's also why I would *NOT* want one personally....that "follow me" car image is far too distracting and covers up far too many things that I could otherwise react to* simply by noticing it far enough in advance.

*like the missing manhole cover I noticed on my way to work early Saturday morning. Had I driven into the hole that was left, it would have torn out the suspension of my Leaf and perhaps destroyed the motor and some of the battery cells as well.

I really like the idea of the disappearing blind spot - can I get this installed on my passengers too so they don't block the view? ha! But seriously, that is a really neat trick/application of tech.

I doubt this requires a special windshield - rather it likely projects from somewhere in the dash and simply reflects off the windshield (maybe shaped a bit for optimal viewing). Distracted by too much information/input is a real problem to be concerned with - look into the military development of heads up displays and issues surrounding them. However, these things can be resolved (providing info as needed, limiting to actionable/necessary inputs). Example - instead of a ghost car with "follow me" on it, a simple arrow inserted in the line of view indicating where to turn etc would be more helpful to me... everyone is different of course.

I recall a 'heads up' display on vehicle a number of years ago... don't recall the model. It only gave basic console info (speed/tach type of info). I don't think it caught on (perhaps because of low marginal benefit to this info being in immediate line of sight).

I think you misunderstand how this works. There is a video camera (probably in the sideview mirror) that captures the view that is obscured by the A pillar. The A pillar has a video screen on the inside that matches the contour of the pillar and the view from the video camera is displayed on it.

RonDawg said:
Sounds like a great idea, until the (presumably very expensive) glass gets cracked from a stray rock. I can see insurance companies charging very high comprehensive coverage rates due to the fancy windshield's replacement costs.

Just buy NAVDY and use your sell phone camera.... https://www.navdy.com/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
I think you misunderstand how this works. There is a video camera (probably in the sideview mirror) that captures the view that is obscured by the A pillar. The A pillar has a video screen on the inside that matches the contour of the pillar and the view from the video camera is displayed on it.

I am talking specifically about the "Ghost Car Navigation" and other images that are being displayed on the windshield.

TomT said:
Standard HUD technology. Nothing special there.

RonDawg said:
I am talking specifically about the "Ghost Car Navigation" and other images that are being displayed on the windshield.

And I'd still rather see my "bogies" (things that present a hazard to me, or I present a hazard to such as pedestrians) for myself, rather than relying on technology to do it for me.

Besides, considering the reliability of JLR products, I wouldn't count on these things working properly after the warranty period. Or during the warranty period for that matter.

redLEAF said:
This is the kind of future tech I'd love to see in a next gen EV; would also be really helpful to the directionally challenged (we all know someone who gets lost on the first turn):
While my nav unit is a great toy, the Leaf will need a *lot* more range before it gets to the point where I don't know how to get there without a nav system. In short, I don't need a nav system to find something within a few miles of home.

Back