For Nissan: Modular EV components

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycenesbitt

I'd be much more likely to buy a new Leaf, if the charging port, ev system and battery were easily swappable and modular,
and that Nissan would promise to always keep an upgrade path open. I understand the EV system on older Leafs really can't be swapped without major disassembly of the car.

The word "modular" can be a bit misleading. It doesn't actually mean that components can easily be swapped, only that they are identical at some scale. There are "modular" engines that use many of the same components in different cylinder configurations, but you sure can't make a "modular V-8" into two fours! It would be nice to have "easy modules" instead of the current complicated systems, but until producing sub-$10k EVs becomes a priority, I doubt we'll see that.

Single biggest modular upgrade path an EV needs to offer is battery capacity. At least until 60Kwh batteries become the norm.

It seems though, that we might be almost there with the Bolt, Model 3 & Leaf Gen 2, all gunning for that.

To be fair, Nissan is the only company offering any sort of battery swap at a reasonable price. $5500 for a new 24kwh pack (plus $500 install). I don't think there's any situations where this makes financial sense, but I also think that down the road they will make the 30kwh pack an upgrade option on all past Leafs. There's no real technical reason not to now, but doing so will take away from new Leaf sales. I bet in a couple years they offer this as a reasonably priced upgrade. I'd definitely bite on a $6K 30wkh pack in 4-5 years when my 2015 is down to 70% capacity or so.

A $6K 30Kwh battery may not make sense when GM is able to produce a 60Kwh pack for $8700 for the Bolt. In a few years, the price/Kwh is only going to reduce further....the fact that each EV manufacturer is going down a prosperity route for the battery modules means, long term, you would be stuck with whoever made your EV for battery replacements.

Yes, you are right, Nissan is the only one offering an affordable battery replacement option for people who need replacement batteries.

We do not know for sure, if 200 mile range is where the capacity/price of the mainstream EV will plateau, unless we actually start to live in the 200 mile/$30,000 range/price EV era.

Too many variables around EVs to be able to make a foreseeably wise long term ownership investment in any EV, unless a certain range degradation path on an EV is acceptable to your lifestyle for 8-10 years.

The previous writer said that it does not make financial sense to replace a $5000 battery.

Let's see... What is a Leaf with a bad battery worth? I will just say - Not much. Add a $5000 battery, and the car is back up to the level of a current EV in fuel savings, and good for another 7-10 years... I think that is acceptable financial sense. The problem would be if you total the car... Then if you are lucky, you could pull out the battery and sell it..

I have a 2015, and after its years of service and savings, I plan to bite the bullet and put in a new battery--- hopefully for less than $5000. That would be my investment for the next 7-10 years of gas-free operation.

In my area, there are several "refurbishers" of the Prius's NiMH battery. I know the capacities/size/weight don't compare , but it must be a viable business. The Prius battery is somewhat labor intensive to access (I have a "PriUPS" generator system). Actually, the Leaf's battery appears to be easier. Could it be eventually, these shops will provide a "cheap" alternative? Likely depends upon the price/availability of the Leaf's modular battery packs.

Back