Spare tire.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petmil

Spend some time to figure out a way to install a spare tire.
I thought it wouldn't be a problem . Now today it's a Sunday have a flat tire phone road assonance. I was told by the recording 8 to 12 hour wait. emailed them 8 hour wait WTF... So I'm stuck with a flat tire and no spare. Not happy..

Not going to blow the tire fix in it a big mess when you change the tire... MAKE A SPARE DONUT FOR THE CAR...

PM

Petmil said:
Spend some time to figure out a way to install a spare tire.
I thought it wouldn't be a problem . Now today it's a Sunday have a flat tire phone road assonance. I was told by the recording 8 to 12 hour wait. emailed them 8 hour wait WTF... So I'm stuck with a flat tire and no spare. Not happy..

Not going to blow the tire fix in it a big mess when you change the tire... MAKE A SPARE DONUT FOR THE CAR...

PM[/quote
Long time for a response, at least your cell worked. A few kms west of my location and one can lose contact with most of the planet. This is why I did this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20415&start=20#p434512 . All I have to do is remember to check its pressure every once in a while.

We have AAA Platinum roadside assistance. Not going to wait on Nissan branded that will only take us to the nearest dealership. I've also kept full sized spares at home and at my office before now (the two most likely places I'd be driving to).

Nissan road service will tow the car to a nearby independent shop (instead of a dealer, if you ask) so I have a full size spare at my workshop garage. I am waiting for the time I need to request a tow to Gerry's Garage. I keep two different types of tubeless tire repair kits in the car to minimize my need to call roadside service because I will never use the bottle of goop. I carry a cheap kit with a bunch of the long stringy plugs and a quality kit with mushroom plugs and insertion tool. The mushroom plug kit is the same as I carry on my motorcycle and is great for permanent repairs of screw or nail holes in the tread area. In desperation, I discovered that a whole bunch of cheap string plugs can be used to make very temporary repairs to a cut sidewall (low speed travel to nearest facility only) when a piece of metal cut a rear tire on the 2011. The compressor that comes with the car is a good little unit as long as you don't use the bottle of sealer.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Nissan road service will tow the car to a nearby independent shop (instead of a dealer, if you ask) so I have a full size spare at my workshop garage. I am waiting for the time I need to request a tow to Gerry's Garage. I keep two different types of tubeless tire repair kits in the car to minimize my need to call roadside service because I will never use the bottle of goop. I carry a cheap kit with a bunch of the long stringy plugs and a quality kit with mushroom plugs and insertion tool. The mushroom plug kit is the same as I carry on my motorcycle and is great for permanent repairs of screw or nail holes in the tread area. In desperation, I discovered that a whole bunch of cheap string plugs can be used to make very temporary repairs to a cut sidewall (low speed travel to nearest facility only) when a piece of metal cut a rear tire on the 2011. The compressor that comes with the car is a good little unit as long as you don't use the bottle of sealer.

Gerry

Gerry,
what kind of bike you ride? I have a dual sport..so tubed, but I'm good at patching and get back on the road in 45 min. I did get a series of plugs for the leaf, on my jeep I have 33's I got a slit in the wall, took all 8 of the plugs, but got home, and drove like that for a year.

Petmil said:
Oddly enough, the Australian Leaf DOES come w/a spare: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9768.

I only wish it (and the mounting hardware) were available in the US, either standard or as an option.

grandizer52 said:
Gerry,
what kind of bike you ride? I have a dual sport..so tubed, but I'm good at patching and get back on the road in 45 min. I did get a series of plugs for the leaf, on my jeep I have 33's I got a slit in the wall, took all 8 of the pugs, but got home, and drove like that for a year.

I have been riding street bikes with tubeless tires since 1982. Currently, I ride a BMW R1150RS on the street and also have an F650GS Dakar dual sport. The 650 has tubes so I must carry appropriate tools and patch kit with it.

I drove the Leaf 3 miles to get home after plugging the cut in the sidewall and edge of tread area. Some of the strings came out from flexing and the low tire warning came on as I pulled into the driveway, but I was happy to get home on a Sunday afternoon. I took the wheel to Costco, purchased a new tire, and was soon back on the road without needing roadside service. The Leafs are the only 4-wheeled vehicles I have owned without full-sized spares. I would buy the Australian spare, jack, and mounting hardware if Nissan USA would sell them here.

Gerry

cwerdna said:
Petmil said:
Oddly enough, the Australian Leaf DOES come w/a spare: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9768.

I only wish it (and the mounting hardware) were available in the US, either standard or as an option.

well, that pivoting cage is a good option, ditch the plastic and both the spare and a hitch...winner winner chicken dinner

GerryAZ said:
grandizer52 said:
Gerry,
what kind of bike you ride? I have a dual sport..so tubed, but I'm good at patching and get back on the road in 45 min. I did get a series of plugs for the leaf, on my jeep I have 33's I got a slit in the wall, took all 8 of the pugs, but got home, and drove like that for a year.

I have been riding street bikes with tubeless tires since 1982. Currently, I ride a BMW R1150RS on the street and also have an F650GS Dakar dual sport. The 650 has tubes so I must carry appropriate tools and patch kit with it.

I drove the Leaf 3 miles to get home after plugging the cut in the sidewall and edge of tread area. Some of the strings came out from flexing and the low tire warning came on as I pulled into the driveway, but I was happy to get home on a Sunday afternoon. I took the wheel to Costco, purchased a new tire, and was soon back on the road without needing roadside service. The Leafs are the only 4-wheeled vehicles I have owned without full-sized spares. I would buy the Australian spare, jack, and mounting hardware if Nissan USA would sell them here.

Gerry

darn should had asked to see if you wanted to go for a ride. was in tucson and borrowed a buddies Beta 525, spent most of the time off the road. I have a bead setter that I use off road, easier than spoons, and doesn't catch the tube when your blind setting it.

know that feeling, when you have to limp a car home....
just found a spare at the junk yard, altima came in totaled, got the spare and jack for $45. had to do some aggressive haggling, cause this one junk yard thinks he junk is fresh retail

Back