Leafabout
Leaf Number: 413354

Black Interior/Dashboard

Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:08 am

Why is a black dashboard so prevalent in dashboards? I find the large landscape of black dashboard puts out a lot of heat that my air-conditioner has to overcome. I also am not a big fan of black interiors, but this seems to be very popular as it was the only color available in
the countless number of Leafs' I looked at. I would like to see the light color dashboard in future Leafs, no matter what the rest of the interior color is. Well, that is, if the new designed Leafs still have a large expanse of dashboard like the current models. Not complaining, just suggesting.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: Black Interior/Dashboard

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 am

The Leafs with light colored interiors have a two-tone dark brown dash top with a tan dash front that matches the rest of the interior. It's notorious for how easily it gets dirty.

You must be looking at the Leaf S or SL, which only come with black interiors. The SV can be had with the light colored interior as mentioned above and prior to 2013 it was the only interior color available.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

joeriv

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 am

If you're driving into the sun, black does not reflect.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 am

I despise black interiors. Feels like I'm in the bottom of a well. I fell in love with the 2012 LEAF interior. Light and airy is where it's at for me. When it came time for a new lease, Nissan threw away money by forcing me down from SL to SV to get the light interior I wanted.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Nubo wrote:I despise black interiors. Feels like I'm in the bottom of a well. I fell in love with the 2012 LEAF interior. Light and airy is where it's at for me.

+1

I stayed with an SL when I had to replace my 2011, but the black dash, black door trim, and dark black leather seats really absorb heat from the Arizona sun. The air conditioner has no trouble cooling the car, but it definitely takes more energy than the A/C in the 2011.

Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015

gshepherd
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2016

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 pm

After seeing how the light interiors were already showing oily smudges at the dealership on new cars, I was torn between light and airy, or dark and clean looking. Given the temperate Seattle weather, I chose the latter, especially after seeing the light interior still had a dark expanse of dash for anti-glare that would produce a lot of solar gain. I figure I can get the windows tinted to reduce the heat load. On cooler days, the dark interior means the heater doesn't have to work as hard.

What I'd like to see is some innovative approach to reducing solar gain on the dash. It affects many cars, some of which cannot even keep up with cooling (Mazda CX-5) due to the heat radiating off the dark dash. Heat rejecting glass is a double edged sword, since it will trap radiant heat in the car just the same, once the visible light is converted to heat in the dark plastics and fabrics. So long as we need to see out of cars, it will be a n engineering challenge.
2016 LEAF SV

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm

RonDawg wrote:The Leafs with light colored interiors have a two-tone dark brown dash top with a tan dash front that matches the rest of the interior. It's notorious for how easily it gets dirty.

You must be looking at the Leaf S or SL, which only come with black interiors. The SV can be had with the light colored interior as mentioned above and prior to 2013 it was the only interior color available.

Yep on all of the above.

Nissan got feedback that the fabric surfaces of the light interior of the '11 and '12 Leaf got dirty too easily (I was at the meeting w/the Chief Vehicle Engineer, Mark Perry, Nissan execs and engineers at Google in Dec 2011). Unfortunately, Nissan went overboard w/the forced black on the '13+ S and SL. I do wish Nissan offered just a darker interior than the light grey in addition to existing colors. And, that choosing S and SL wouldn't force black on you.

I had leased a '13 SV w/light interior. For the used '13 SV I own now, since I own it, I bit the bullet and got black even though I don't like it much.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Leafabout
Leaf Number: 413354

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:16 am

Well, I suppose I should keep in mind that while the black dash puts out heat in the warm/hot months, it also does the same in the cold months so I use the heater less during those times. Unfortunately, our hot/warm months last longer. Anyhow, I purchased a gray dash-mat and that seems to cut down the heat from the dash a lot and alleviate any heat-off-the-dash issues.

Bethel
Delivery Date: 14 Sep 2016

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Leafafbout wrote:Well, I suppose I should keep in mind that while the black dash puts out heat in the warm/hot months, it also does the same in the cold months so I use the heater less during those times. Unfortunately, our review of the male edge is hot/warm months last longer. Anyhow, I purchased a gray dash-mat and that seems to cut down the heat from the dash a lot and alleviate any heat-off-the-dash issues.

I love black dashboards. But you're right they do get hot and it would be good if there were some other colors to choose from.
Last edited by Bethel on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 pm

Many Priuses have a 'darkish grey' interior color that I don't hate as much as the light grey and beige. I wouldn't want one, but I wouldn't reject a great deal if it came with those seats. I'd just buy nice seat covers. ;-)
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”