Problems in the Southwest

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berclese

You really need to consider pulling the Leaf from dealers in the Southwest until the vehicle has active thermal battery management. You are creating a lot of bad will here.

Mark Oliver - Phoenix AZ
480 652-xxxx

^^^
Agreed.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=524014#p524014 is my current list of 30 kWh 4 bar losers. Hope I didn't forget any.

FWIW, 30 kWh Leafs are no longer sold as new. 40 kWh Leaf is too new for us to be able to tell how well it'll hold up in terms of degradation. We'll likely need to go thru 2 hot summers to see...

I disagree with the original post. I am glad that I was able to buy my 2011 here in Phoenix and glad I could buy a new replacement when I was forced into getting another car. Only a few other manufacturers are willing to sell EVs here so I am glad that Nissan continues to offer them. Perhaps dealer/manufacturer disclosures at time of purchase/lease could be emphasized more for people who are not familiar with the car. I signed disclosures indicating battery deterioration is expected at the time of purchase of both 2011 and 2015. The capacity loss on the 2011 was much faster than expected, but Nissan retroactively offered a 5-year, 60,000-mile capacity warranty (long before the class action lawsuit became public). Nissan EV Customer Service called me and asked me to take the 2011 to the dealer so they could start the process of getting a new battery installed at about 26 months after purchase. The battery in the 2015 is doing much better since it has more capacity after 38 months and 59,000 miles (currently at 10 capacity bars) than the 2011 had at 15 months and 14,500 miles (at the time of the Phoenix Range Test in September 2012).

By the way, the 2011 was extremely reliable until it met its demise and the 2015 continues to be quite reliable.

I'm between the two positions above. I don't think that the Leaf should be sold to the general public in the South and Southwest the way that other new cars are sold, because given the state of the dealership system in the US, salespeople WILL lie to customers and sell them a Leaf without properly informing them of the heat issues. OTOH, I think it should be possible to order a Leaf in the hotter states, after signing documents (having read them!) to the effect that you know the car will lose battery capacity rapidly.

Evoforce said:
And my view is that Nissan should build the cars with liquid TMS.

You're solidly in the majority on that, but given that Nissan seems to have no intention of doing more than offering an optional 60kwh pack with TMS, while keeping the 40wkh un-cooled...lettuce pack?... it matters where the latter gets sold.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm between the two positions above. I don't think that the Leaf should be sold to the general public in the South and Southwest the way that other new cars are sold, because given the state of the dealership system in the US, salespeople WILL lie to customers and sell them a Leaf without properly informing them of the heat issues. OTOH, I think it should be possible to order a Leaf in the hotter states, after signing documents (having read them!) to the effect that you know the car will lose battery capacity rapidly.
1+

Although we who live in the Southwest realize it has a very variable climate, even just 100 miles from Phoenix.
More transparency about climate's effects on battery degradation is what is needed so that consumers can make informed choices.

GerryAZ said:
I disagree with the original post. I am glad that I was able to buy my 2011 here in Phoenix and glad I could buy a new replacement when I was forced into getting another car. Only a few other manufacturers are willing to sell EVs here so I am glad that Nissan continues to offer them. Perhaps dealer/manufacturer disclosures at time of purchase/lease could be emphasized more for people who are not familiar with the car. I signed disclosures indicating battery deterioration is expected at the time of purchase of both 2011 and 2015. The capacity loss on the 2011 was much faster than expected, but Nissan retroactively offered a 5-year, 60,000-mile capacity warranty (long before the class action lawsuit became public). Nissan EV Customer Service called me and asked me to take the 2011 to the dealer so they could start the process of getting a new battery installed at about 26 months after purchase. The battery in the 2015 is doing much better since it has more capacity after 38 months and 59,000 miles (currently at 10 capacity bars) than the 2011 had at 15 months and 14,500 miles (at the time of the Phoenix Range Test in September 2012).

By the way, the 2011 was extremely reliable until it met its demise and the 2015 continues to be quite reliable.

I'm sorry, but 7500mi or 18 months is not reasonable. The inconvenience and unpredictability have lessened the value and usability of the car to me. I'm getting a new battery today, but this constant and sizable range deterioration is unacceptable. Even an iPhone battery doesn't fall off like this and look at all the crap they took over it.

Oh what a load of horse manure. I live in the south and you're going to determine what vehicles I should have available to me based your misguided opinion. This is just more of the same old FUD with the usual suspects piling on.

Keep trying, though. It's fun to watch LEAF sales skyrocket despite your best efforts.

berclese said:
I'm sorry, but 7500mi or 18 months is not reasonable. The inconvenience and unpredictability have lessened the value and usability of the car to me. I'm getting a new battery today, but this constant and sizable range deterioration is unacceptable. Even an iPhone battery doesn't fall off like this and look at all the crap they took over it.

I agree that 18 months with only 7,500 miles is not reasonable if your battery is really deteriorated to the point of needing replacement. The original battery in my 2011 was 27 months old with probably about 25,000 miles (don't have records handy) when it was replaced after Nissan called me to start the replacement process. Where are you located?

Edited to add: Although I have no intention of replacing my 2015 for a long time, I would probably buy a new LEAF if something happened to force replacement. Both my dealer and Nissan have treated me well so I would definitely consider another LEAF in spite of all the Nissan bashing on this forum. I consider the rate of battery deterioration I am experiencing with my 2015 to be reasonable for the climate and conditions I drive in. I anticipate reaching 60,000 miles on the original battery next week with 10 capacity bars left so I will probably get to somewhere around 80,000 miles by the time it drops to 8 capacity bars.

Joe6pack said:
Oh what a load of horse manure. I live in the south and you're going to determine what vehicles I should have available to me based your misguided opinion. This is just more of the same old FUD with the usual suspects piling on.

Keep trying, though. It's fun to watch LEAF sales skyrocket despite your best efforts.

Well 6pack, I'm not going to determine it, but maybe Nissan will when they get tired of replacing packs at $8k each.

Back