Page 1 of 2

Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm
by berclese
You really need to consider pulling the Leaf from dealers in the Southwest until the vehicle has active thermal battery management. You are creating a lot of bad will here.

Mark Oliver - Phoenix AZ
480 652-xxxx

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:06 pm
by LeftieBiker
If that is your phone number, and you don't want it harvested by bots, I suggest you remove it ASAP.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:15 pm
by cwerdna
^^^
Agreed.

viewtopic.php?p=524014#p524014 is my current list of 30 kWh 4 bar losers. Hope I didn't forget any.

FWIW, 30 kWh Leafs are no longer sold as new. 40 kWh Leaf is too new for us to be able to tell how well it'll hold up in terms of degradation. We'll likely need to go thru 2 hot summers to see...

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 pm
by GerryAZ
I disagree with the original post. I am glad that I was able to buy my 2011 here in Phoenix and glad I could buy a new replacement when I was forced into getting another car. Only a few other manufacturers are willing to sell EVs here so I am glad that Nissan continues to offer them. Perhaps dealer/manufacturer disclosures at time of purchase/lease could be emphasized more for people who are not familiar with the car. I signed disclosures indicating battery deterioration is expected at the time of purchase of both 2011 and 2015. The capacity loss on the 2011 was much faster than expected, but Nissan retroactively offered a 5-year, 60,000-mile capacity warranty (long before the class action lawsuit became public). Nissan EV Customer Service called me and asked me to take the 2011 to the dealer so they could start the process of getting a new battery installed at about 26 months after purchase. The battery in the 2015 is doing much better since it has more capacity after 38 months and 59,000 miles (currently at 10 capacity bars) than the 2011 had at 15 months and 14,500 miles (at the time of the Phoenix Range Test in September 2012).

By the way, the 2011 was extremely reliable until it met its demise and the 2015 continues to be quite reliable.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm
by LeftieBiker
I'm between the two positions above. I don't think that the Leaf should be sold to the general public in the South and Southwest the way that other new cars are sold, because given the state of the dealership system in the US, salespeople WILL lie to customers and sell them a Leaf without properly informing them of the heat issues. OTOH, I think it should be possible to order a Leaf in the hotter states, after signing documents (having read them!) to the effect that you know the car will lose battery capacity rapidly.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:17 am
by Evoforce
And my view is that Nissan should build the cars with liquid TMS.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:57 am
by LeftieBiker
Evoforce wrote:And my view is that Nissan should build the cars with liquid TMS.


You're solidly in the majority on that, but given that Nissan seems to have no intention of doing more than offering an optional 60kwh pack with TMS, while keeping the 40wkh un-cooled...lettuce pack?... it matters where the latter gets sold.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 am
by SageBrush
LeftieBiker wrote:I'm between the two positions above. I don't think that the Leaf should be sold to the general public in the South and Southwest the way that other new cars are sold, because given the state of the dealership system in the US, salespeople WILL lie to customers and sell them a Leaf without properly informing them of the heat issues. OTOH, I think it should be possible to order a Leaf in the hotter states, after signing documents (having read them!) to the effect that you know the car will lose battery capacity rapidly.

1+

Although we who live in the Southwest realize it has a very variable climate, even just 100 miles from Phoenix.
More transparency about climate's effects on battery degradation is what is needed so that consumers can make informed choices.

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:01 am
by SageBrush
LeftieBiker wrote: the 40wkh un-cooled...lettuce pack?....


:lol: :lol:

Re: Problems in the Southwest

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:36 pm
by berclese
LeftieBiker wrote:If that is your phone number, and you don't want it harvested by bots, I suggest you remove it ASAP.


Thanks!!!