Level III charge port

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

NISSAN:

Throughout the tour, and in all exhibitions of the Leaf to date, Nissan has purposely touted that the vehicle will boast Level I, Level II (low and high), and Level III (fast) charging. Indeed, in all presentations that I have seen, both in person and on the web, the dual charge ports have always been pointed out.

Now it seems like Nissan is backpedaling on the Level III capability! Indeed, a new statement has recently appeared on the Leaf's website:
Quick charge capability currently is only available in limited markets and states where the public infrastructure exists. Quick charge port is TEPCO compliant and may not be compatible with future quick chargers. While quick charge capability may not exist in your market, availability will increase as the public infrastructure increases in the future.
I would strongly suggest that Nissan make every effort to provide Level III charging in each and every Leaf, for that is what we consumers have been led to believe would be a standard feature of the vehicle --no matter our area or current infrastructure.

Yes, the TEPCO plug might not emerge as the eventual "standard," and thus I can understand Nissan's reluctance to install it in all Leafs. However, it seems to me that, as a reasonable compromise, Nissan could at least include the necessary wiring, breakers, controller, etc., ready to be connected to whatever "standard" connector is eventually adopted. Nissan dealers should then install the missing receptacle for free.

I certainly agree with this and will try contacting them through the website or via phone tomorrow. I just walked through my account again and was not asked about the charge port. Makes me uneasy about the plan on this topic.

They are now backpeddaling because the L3 standard may not be finallized before they have to start Leaf production in Japan. They should just go with the TEPCO connector, as the odds of something else are probbaly pretty low. If the TEPCO becomes the standard they are all set, if not, they will only have to change out the connectors (and possibly reprogram an ECU / replace an ECU) for the DC charging controller, and only as Level 3 infrastructure is deployed in each area, that can use a different standard.

It really does look like they are trying to shave off costs at this point.

Frankly, the only thing I read that Nissan statement saying is, "Even if you have the plug in your car you may not be able to use it."

As I wrote on another thread today (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=373&start=70) a Nissan rep at a Leaf booth told me today that Nissan is installing one of two interfaces competing to become the standard, and if they have guessed wrong they will replace it free of charge to the customers.

I'd be happy without it if it could be added at some future date when level 3 charging stations are more pervasive and the dust settles on the standard.

It would add some flexibility to the vehicle if charging stations were around, but frankly it's still not going to be a favorite for road trips. Stopping every 70 miles or so for half an hour would get old.

Back