built in sun shades

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeLeaf

With all of the talk about trying to keep the interior of the car cool when the car is parked, it seems like building the car with built in sun shades would be nice.

Mechanical sun shades would do the trick - something retractable into window jambs. This might not be the best solution, as there is a high certainty of eventual failure.

Maybe a more interesting solution would be the type of glass that I've seen at some classified computing centers. It is clear when you supply a charge to it, and opaque when the charge is removed. Outside of the possible safety issue of losing power and therefore vision all at one time, this would seem to be an interesting solution. No power used to keep the car cooler, and then when you fire the beast up, the windows turn clear and off you go. I think the power use is very low, so even the 12v could keep things clear in an emergency.

Thoughts?

LakeLeaf said:
Thoughts?

ETA - it looks like this type of glass has progressed so that you can actively keep certain components of light (e.g. UV) out without removing visibility - if that is of concern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_glass. So you could continue to filter the heat generating frequencies while the car is running and likely at a cost much lower then it would take to remove that heat with the air conditioning.

It would be interesting to see actual power and cost numbers for the glass.

Back