Bangaroo
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2015

Re: Problems Charging at Nissan Dealerships?

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:
Bangaroo wrote:Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

Nissan of Athens
4735 Atlanta Hwy
Bogart GA, 30622

There is a dealership here in North Salt Lake that does the same, according to Plugshare app comments.

I find it hard to understand why they do this to you. People buy cars all the time, usually between 3-7 years and when they have a bad experience they tell their friends and update social media very quickly. They are too short sighted to understand that turning people away ensures that they will never sell a car to that person again in the future even though it is obvious that they purchased a Nissan and would probably be on their shopping list. I think it is because salespeople move around all the time and do not sew seeds for future harvest, they are all about the sale NOW, TODAY.

Completely agreed!

Update:
Talking with the managers at the dealership and they said there is no written policy on who can use their facility (at least not one they can provide in writing) and that the dealership is private property. Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one) the sales rep felt compelled to approach me, no other cars waiting or in need of a charge. It really is such a shame. Contacting corporate to escalate this issue. Has anyone had success in addressing this issue? Maybe it's just the sales teams that doesn't get the bigger picture...

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 am

One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my cars!

Bangaroo wrote:Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one)
Last edited by TomT on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

Bangaroo
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2015

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:25 am

TomT wrote:One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my car!

Bangaroo wrote:Since my plates show that it's from a competing dealership (30miles away and provided over $500 in savings vs this one)

Just bought the LEAF, can't remove the temp plates just quite yet.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:44 am

TomT wrote:One of the many reasons why I NEVER have any dealer advertising of any type on my car!

I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge. Seems like a good idea to me.

Then you don't need to play the game with a grumpy short sighted sales person who isn't smart enough to realise that they are hurting themselves long term by being a dufus.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

TomT

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 am

I like that idea but it is probably more cost and bother than it is worth...

DuncanCunningham wrote:I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 am

TomT wrote:I like that idea but it is probably more cost and bother than it is worth...

DuncanCunningham wrote:I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge.

I hope I never have to find out. I like charging my car at home.

Slow1
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 425010

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

DuncanCunningham wrote:I thought I saw a post that suggested you buy a dealer plate cover from each dealer that you think you might need at charge at some later date. Have it in the back of the car with a screwdriver and be ready to swap (or just add) it before rolling into each dealership for a charge. Seems like a good idea to me.

Then you don't need to play the game with a grumpy short sighted sales person who isn't smart enough to realise that they are hurting themselves long term by being a dufus.

If going through that bother, just put strong magnets on the cover and attach it when needed - no screwdriver required and less wear/tear on the mounting holes. If needed, mount a magnetic plate cover to use as the base and leave it on....
2013 S with 6kw upgrade (Black)
MFD Date 12/13

TomT

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 am

Yeah, I think I QCed maybe three times at a dealer during the life of the car...

DuncanCunningham wrote:I hope I never have to find out. I like charging my car at home.

GeekyVetGirl
Delivery Date: 13 Apr 2015
Leaf Number: 322244

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 am

I live in St. Louis and the infrastructure outside of Nissan dealerships is still limited, almost non-existent for quick charge EVSEs. I purchased my car from Bommarito - they let anyone charge 24/7, including non-Nissans. I live near West County Nissan (about whom a compliant was mentioned in this thread in 2013) and they have been 100% awesome about charging there, even after hours. I guess they learned from those early problems. The dealership where I first looked at the Leaf, Lou Fusz Nissan, however, will only let customers charge there for free unlike every other dealership in the entire greater STL area. It's actually the main reason I didn't buy a car from them - because I didn't want to support their selfish behavior in an area that is still struggling to accept EVs. Additionally, it was them who told me that I could charge for free at any dealership in STL (they were assuming I would but from them at the time). I was struggling though because they are the most central dealership in the area and it's close to all of my friends' houses.

So, I emailed Nissan and a nice man named Bryan called me back the next working day. He had called Lou Fusz prior to talking to me and asked them about their policy to charge non-customers $5 for a quick charge. Apparently, they talked at length and Bryan recommended against the policy. He didn't get them to change their minds, but he did get the dealership to add me to the 'customers-only' list that they use in deciding who charges for free. Not that it helps when they are closed and can't swipe their ChargePoint card for me. I told Bryan that it was nice, but that I really was hoping that they would rethink their policies until we get a better infrastructure here. I get stopped all of the time and asked about my Leaf and the EV experience. Every time, I mention how great it is and how they should not buy from Lou Fusz Nissan.

I share this story because Bryan suggested that EV owners call the EV-only Nissan hotline and discuss problems like this with them - 1-877-664-2738. He was great! Also, I didn't like the end result - I wanted all Nissans (or, even better all EVs) to able to have that free quick charge at least until EVs and EVSEs are more common in our area. Maybe if they have to add enough names to 'customer-only' lists like these, they will rethink their policy.

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:27 am

Slow1 wrote:If going through that bother, just put strong magnets on the cover and attach it when needed - no screwdriver required and less wear/tear on the mounting holes. If needed, mount a magnetic plate cover to use as the base and leave it on....

What a great idea. I'll look into that.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”