Levenkay
Delivery Date: 16 May 2013
Leaf Number: 19196

Re: Problems Charging at Nissan Dealerships?

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 pm

abasile wrote:I also agree that in the long run, EVs will force a change in dealer business models. They'll have to kiss much of their service revenue goodbye. (For that matter, incremental improvements in ICE reliability have probably impacted service revenue quite significantly over time.) Dealers can choose to either fight the future, or evolve and support the rollout of EVs. Those that change with the times should at least be able to preserve their sales revenue and some portion of their service revenue. Keeping EVSEs available can be costly, but it's an investment in the future.

If they're worried, all they have to do is make the feeblest effort towards producing & selling software upgrades. Plenty of repeat business, zero inventory cost, zero grease.

Bangaroo
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2015

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 am

Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

DuncanCunningham
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Apr 2015

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:05 am

Bangaroo wrote:Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there. Even when it shows up on their nissan leaf app as free and available 24/7 It shouldn't be advertised as such if it's on their Nissian LEAF EZ-Charge app or car wings if this is their policy. They should post a sign or something if that's the case..

There is a dealership here in North Salt Lake that does the same, according to Plugshare app comments.

Jerry Seiner Nissan
955 N 400 E
North Salt Lake, UT 84054

I would advice you to update the plugshare app for this site with your comment. After reading the comments on my local dealership in North Salt Lake, Utah, I decided not to buy my new LEAF from them. I went to a dealership some 20 miles away south of Salt Lake City so I could use them to charge should I be coming home one day from a trip and could honestly say (not that dealerships are good at honesty) that I bought it from them.

I find it hard to understand why they do this to you. People buy cars all the time, usually between 3-7 years and when they have a bad experience they tell their friends and update social media very quickly. They are too short sighted to understand that turning people away ensures that they will never sell a car to that person again in the future even though it is obvious that they purchased a Nissan and would probably be on their shopping list. I think it is because salespeople move around all the time and do not sew seeds for future harvest, they are all about the sale NOW, TODAY.
Statler: Wake up you old fool. You slept through the show.
Waldorf: Who's a fool? You watched it.

2015 Leaf S (leased until May 2018, Bought out in Jan 2017)
2012 Leaf SL (purchased May 2015)

drees

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:10 am

Bangaroo wrote:Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets worse once the EV credit ends in GA and sales volumes drop a lot...
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:36 am

Bangaroo wrote:Ran into issues with Athens Nissan in GA. The dealership told me that people that didn't buy their Leaf there are not welcome there.

Yes, another wonderful example that, although Nissan may be committed to EV's long term, many of their dealerships are not. I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

desiv
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 018850

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:48 am

keydiver wrote:I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.

So, you think other dealerships would be different?
I think it's much more likely this is an issue with the dealership model and not a particular manufacturer.
(Of course, not counting Tesla, who doesn't use dealerships)

What surprises me is that the dealerships don't get the concept of treating non-customers well to make them future customers.

That's why I go to Les Schwab here in the PNW for my tires.
When I hadn't been in Oregon for too long and had some tire trouble, I went to a Les Schwab.
I hadn't bought my tires there. They fixed my flat and wouldn't take any money for it...
I tried.. ;-) I reminded them that I didn't buy those tires from them. They said, maybe you will the next time..

And I did..

Not saying they are the only shop to do that, but they did and as a customer, I liked that..

Not sure how car dealerships, who are ALL about marketing, don't get that...
But, in general, they don't...

It's too bad tho, that Nissan didn't realize that many of their dealers don't get it..

desiv
2012 SL - Silver

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:04 am

keydiver wrote:Yes, another wonderful example that, although Nissan may be committed to EV's long term, many of their dealerships are not. I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.

It's not just Nissan. Dealers are independent franchises and manufacturers can only exert so much control over them. I'm sure this happens with dealers of other brands' EV's as well, with the notable exception of Tesla. You see it more with Nissan because they have sold far more EV's than anybody else.

Tesla's charging model works well because they own the charging stations and the dealers.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

DNAinaGoodWay
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:49 am

Happening here too. Definitely a downside to the dealership paradigm. Their OEMs are beginning to support QC networks outside of dealerships, but it's nothing like Tesla's model, and will be a big factor in driving EV customers to Tesla in the future.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new

@ 25 months, 25k, 267 GID, 56.88 Ahr
@ 29 months, 29k, 286 GID, 60.88 Ahr
@ 31 months, 30.3k, 274 GID, 58.39 Ahr

6.72 kW Array

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 am

desiv wrote:
keydiver wrote:I would never have believed how little control corporate Nissan has over its dealers. :roll: Just one more reason why I'll never be buying another Nissan.

So, you think other dealerships would be different?
I think it's much more likely this is an issue with the dealership model and not a particular manufacturer.
(Of course, not counting Tesla, who doesn't use dealerships)

What surprises me is that the dealerships don't get the concept of treating non-customers well to make them future customers.

U.S. dealerships' universe have a 1-month event horizon that tends to be brutally dictated by how they're dealt with by the manufacturers. And then the manufacturers throw their hands up and claim they wish the dealerships would behave differently.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

mjblazin
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 405999

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:17 am

People paying $25,000 for a car don't get driven to buying an $85,000 car or a $60,000 car, if and when it ever appears. As for a Tesla $30,000 car, I will believe it when Salma Hayek tosses her billionaire spouse for me. Nissan has competition, but not from Tesla.
2013 SL Blue Ocean
Bought used, March 2015 12,764 miles
11/12 bars. 235 gids 18.2 kWh
Appears fully loaded
Condo home, Using public charge except in emergency
Dallas, TX downtown, shaded non-temp controlled garage

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”