leasing batteries

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbievh

what a mistake...

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1035/Revealed-2011-Nissan-Leaf-Electric-Car

"But the real trick is that the batteries won't be part of the selling price: Nissan's global approach will be to sell the car, but lease the battery pack.
The argument for leasing is that if you buy a gasoline car, the gasoline isn't part of the deal, and the battery pack in an EV (plus the electricity that it stores) can be likened to the gas needed to make a conventional car go."

Why are we likening anything to gasoline cars? Besides, the battery only holds the charge. Gasoline cars at least come with a gas tank to hold the fuel.

I agree. Leasing is a bad idea, although I guess that depends on the price to lease them?

Even though I was very excited about this Nissan Leaf EV, if the batteries are going to be leased at any price,low or high, I will opt to stay out of this scheme.
No way that I could feel the pleasure of true ownership of this car if I have to pay monthly dues for the batteries...
Really wish that Nissan doesn't make such an unreasonable option come true.

Leasing the batteries is a bad idea!! This is like a forced
lease of the car! I don't want to lease the car.

Also, Nissan needs to tell Leaf owners (BEFORE they
purchase the car) what a new battery will cost and how
often we have to exchange it.

In a way, I can see how it makes sense.... what if batteries are hard to gaurantee? IE. they can't say for sure they will last 5 years, maybe you get a bad pack that only lasts 2 years? With the leasing option, you just take your Nissan Leaf in, and they replace the pack.

I don't see what it would hurt to offer a leasing option and a purchase option and let the consumer choose.

Supposedly with this new technology, the batteries cost by themselves about $10000. I spoke with someone at Nissan regarding this exact concern. Supposedly nissan is looking at selling the car and batteries as a whole, but she said that leasing cars is often consumer driven. But we have to speak out as this all is different with Ev's. The other point that if the batteries are leased, can they be exchanged affordably as new imporivements to the technology occurs? We all know that the initial line of Leafs and other EV's will have bugs to work out.

Back