adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: An AC outlet in the car = value & utility added

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 am

planet4ever wrote:When our grandkids were young we took our RV to a city park for a birthday one year, and used its generator to power one of those inflated bounce houses the kids all love. It would be very cool to power that from the LEAF, and quite feasible with a 120v 15A outlet built into the car.

Uh oh, Don't let the general public get wind of this idea. I can hear it now. "cool! You could plug the car into itself so it can charge itself!"
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:48 am

adric22 wrote:
planet4ever wrote:When our grandkids were young we took our RV to a city park for a birthday one year, and used its generator to power one of those inflated bounce houses the kids all love. It would be very cool to power that from the LEAF, and quite feasible with a 120v 15A outlet built into the car.

Uh oh, Don't let the general public get wind of this idea. I can hear it now. "cool! You could plug the car into itself so it can charge itself!"

Great idea!

I just applied a patent! Leaf self-Recharge cord (tm)! ;) :lol:
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Ingineer has reported the DC-DC converter can supply well over 1000W to the battery, and he posted a picture to prove it..

I would use a good quality sine wave 700W inverter and attach it directly to the 12V battery in the Leaf, with heavy gage cables... and please dont use that male-male plug to hotwire it directly to your house.. that is very unsafe... run a fridge, some lights, fans etc.

Dont run a fridge on a modified sine wave inverter.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Is there anyone who didn't buy a Leaf because this feature is not there? If the Leaf had this feature would it result in enough additional sales or command a higher selling price to offset the costs in the product itself, additional warranty costs, and additional liability of some kid sticking a paper clip in the outlet? (Remember these are the same people who brought you touch OK to accept ad nauseum)

If the answer to those questions are no why would they include such a feature?
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Is there anyone who didn't buy a Leaf because this feature is not there?

Possibly.
My wife is said she would seriously consider Leaf if it did have this feature.
We have power reliability issues here.
(Hurricane) Ike cut power for 10 days.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

TonyWilliams

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am

adric22 wrote:drive to a gas station somewhere that has power, fill up, then come up and power your home some more.

You won't be filling up if there is no power to run the fuel pumps. And every Tom, Dick and Harry will be trying to get those last ounces of gasoline. No thanks to that.

Bufordleaf
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2014

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:09 pm

This is a brilliant idea! I realize I am years late to this post, but....my power was out tonight. And as I sat there thinking about the food in my fridge that was going bad, and realized my half charged Leaf had enough juice to power my fridge for a day or more, I thought having a 120V outlet in the trunk would be great! Started searching MNL forum and of course you had already thought of this long ago. Great suggestion, here's hoping Nissan adds this in the future. Btw I drive a 2015 S with QC.
2015 Leaf S with QC

AlanSqB
Delivery Date: 26 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 300613

Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Way to dig up some ancient history :lol:

The e-nv200 is the van version of the leaf that is maddeningly not available in the US yet. They have onboard AC outlets included. Not sure if they run off the HV battery or the 12v battery with an inverter, but they advertise them as useful for the "worksite" so I suspect they are hearty enough for extended use.
2015 LEAF SV in Gunmetal Gray
"The only gas in this vehicle comes from the driver."
I drive a LEAF, it doesn't have Ludicrous or Insane mode. It only has Slightly Annoyed mode.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”