Quick Charging Stations a Nissan Dealerships

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasmay

This one seems obvious, and I'm 95% sure Nissan has this in their plans already, but if Nissan would install just one Quick charging station at all of their major Dealerships nationwide before the Leaf is shipped, that would go a long way to diminishing the "Range Anxiety" FUD GM is trying to push. I live in Dallas, TX and if Nissan had quick charging stations at just their dealerships I could drive just about everywhere in the metroplex and never worry about running out of juice. And while I wait for the battery to charge I would have nothing else to do but look around the lot.

This one sounds obvious.

dallasmay said:
This one seems obvious, and I'm 95% sure Nissan has this in their plans already, but if Nissan would install just one Quick charging station at all of their major Dealerships nationwide before the Leaf is shipped, that would go a long way to diminishing the "Range Anxiety" FUD GM is trying to push.
I would agree with you, except this whole other issue that has come up that the Quick Charging port is going to be an extra charge. Without the Quick Charging port a standard on all Leafs, the number of Quick Charging stations will not matter.

JasonT said:
I would agree with you, except this whole other issue that has come up that the Quick Charging port is going to be an extra charge. /quote]

Wait... Where did you hear that the quick charge port is going to be an extra charge? I'm pretty sure it's built into the standard configuration. Unless they changed that. Do you know something I don't?

dallasmay said:
JasonT said:
I would agree with you, except this whole other issue that has come up that the Quick Charging port is going to be an extra charge. /quote]

Wait... Where did you hear that the quick charge port is going to be an extra charge? I'm pretty sure it's built into the standard configuration. Unless they changed that. Do you know something I don't?
If you are buying a SL it was on the order as an assessory. I am in the DOE EV project so it is included at no charge. :mrgreen: The fast DC port is said to be $700 bucks. But I agree it should be standard.

As to Nissan installing fast DC chargers at every dealer that is what they are doing here in the rollout state of Phoenix AZ

dallasmay said:
JasonT said:
I would agree with you, except this whole other issue that has come up that the Quick Charging port is going to be an extra charge.
See these threads:
Sat Jul 24: Are you sitting down?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836&start=0
Tue Aug 10: This just in - $ for L3 charging option.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=941&start=0

planet4ever said:
See these threads:
Sat Jul 24: Are you sitting down?

That would be a very dumb move by Nissan. And I just re-checked the standard configuration on the Leaf's website. L3 is not listed, but neither is any information on charging. That said, Nissan is also keeping it's dealers in the dark as well. So you can't really trust anything that a dealer has told you. Check out this post on allcarselectric.com

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1048149_what-do-nissan-dealers-really-know-about-the-2011-leaf

I'm still trying to get the whole L3 thing clarified by my Nissan sources. You would think that, with some of us signing contacts in a couple of weeks, this would be something that's been definitively decided by now.

While I trust my source at the dealer conference, we have all seen that the junior level people Nissan has been using in the field can often be "out of the loop" on what corporate is doing. Or just plain wrong.

I've been looking around the interwebs and I can't see anything that confirms this. I'm ready to call this one false. I paid the $99 reservation fee and there was nothing on it that said that the 440v charger was not standard, and there is talk about the 440v charger all over the website. This would definitely be a clear instance of bait-and-switch if they didn't offer it on the base model, which would get Nissan into a lot of trouble. I seriously doubt they would take people's money without making something like that very clear.

The reservation made it seem there were no options just two packages, clearly Nissan was never going about saying the L3 was a paid option, its a bit slick to call it a customer choice which implies using the port not buying it, clearly and paid option is a choice. This is the first thing Nissan has done that has really irritated me and perhaps they are attempting to discourage people or are concerned about standards? If I'm going to pay $700 I want it to go toward a proper onboard charger of 6.6 kw or higher, that is a more practical use of the $ IMO. I think the more people that voice a concern about this early on the more chance there is for a price reduction if there is a cost, these are the first vehicles and as such should have consideration over the meager on board charger.

garygid said:
The extra $700 would be reasonable if it included
BOTH the L3 AND the 6.6 kW L2 charging capabilities.

I would pay $700 for 6.6 kw only in a second, that would be a huge bonus, 7-9kw would be even better. An upgrade would require an entire new charger and I will certainly have sold the car by the time they have that available.

EVDRIVER said:
The reservation made it seem there were no options just two packages, clearly Nissan was never going about saying the L3 was a paid option, its a bit slick to call it a customer choice which implies using the port not buying it, clearly and paid option is a choice....

Correct! Nissan strongly implied that you buy either model A or model B. There was never any discussion about additional options to either of both of these. I'd note that the features of both implied that L3 was included with both. What's the point of the nav and data link without L3?

LakeLeaf said:
EVDRIVER said:
The reservation made it seem there were no options just two packages, clearly Nissan was never going about saying the L3 was a paid option, its a bit slick to call it a customer choice which implies using the port not buying it, clearly and paid option is a choice....

Correct! Nissan strongly implied that you buy either model A or model B. There was never any discussion about additional options to either of both of these. I'd note that the features of both implied that L3 was included with both. What's the point of the nav and data link without L3?

Some dealers are being pushed to put in 3-5 L3 stations, I'm sure this makes sense for a small fortune if no one has the ports. I think this also may be about the standard issue. Nissan got ahead of themselves on the L3 train.

We do recall that there isn't a L3 charging standard for the US, right?

The vast majority of people that will use L2 will charge overnight - how important is faster charging when 8 hours is enough time?

Yes - it's too heavy, too. :p :lol:

As an aside, the SAE J1772 task force will be meeting later in the month for their monthly meeting. They'll be including a 'fit test' for their L3 candidate. Nissan is working on the communications messages for the SAE's L3 entry. Something tells me that Nissan will be able to make their L3 decision in time to get charge ports on their cars...

garygid said:
Is there a drawing available anywhere for the proposed L123 connector?

Yeah, Gary - it's been posted to this site at least once. I'll see if I can find it again. Picture the regular L1/L2 connector with two 'mickey mouse ears' on the bottom at about 5 and 7 o'clock.

It's the first link in my J1772 L3 update post in the batteries section:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=640&start=0

Hit the J1772 update briefing PDF at the 'grouper.ieee.etc.etc site.

LakeLeaf said:

When I did my $99 registration, L3 quick charging was clearly listed as an option for the SL package.

AndyH and Gary,

The PDF that Andy posted, last page shows the SAE J1772 "DC Fast" standards commitee not being finalized until August of 2011. It might take so long, that it's not even finalized for the 2012 Leafs, never mind the 2011 Leaf :(

page 18: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/earthobservationsSCC/IEEE_SAE_J1772_Update_10_02_08_Gery_Kissel.pdf

mitch672 said:
AndyH and Gary,

The PDF that Andy posted, last page shows the SAE J1772 "DC Fast" standards commitee not being finalized until August of 2011. It might take so long, that it's not even finalized for the 2012 Leafs, never mind the 2011 Leaf :(

page 18: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/earthobservationsSCC/IEEE_SAE_J1772_Update_10_02_08_Gery_Kissel.pdf

Right - and I reported in the same thread that as of the June SAE meeting they were looking at not 'going final' on the L3 addition until December.

BUT...Nissan and TEPCO are on the SAE's task force - and they know what's really happening and how the real time-line looks from the 'inside'. Nissan is building the data packets for the standard.

Based on what Nissan knows today, they could:

- Opt to ditch the J1772 L3 connector and carry-on with CHAdeMO. If they do that, the car's ready to go.

- They could opt to go with J1772, knowing that the connector won't be final until after their first cars come off the assembly line in October - but they'll know what they'll need as far as 'pre-wiring' the car and they'll know how to prepare the car's firmware to communicate with the new chargers because they're the ones 'building the language'. Installing the L3 connector as a warranty service once the car's delivered would consist of physically installing the connector, attaching the wires that were installed when the car was built, and testing the charge port.

- They could also opt to wait until the US L3 standard settles out. They'll still likely pre-install the wiring harness as the car-side wiring isn't likely to change. Later on they could do a warranty remove/replace the old J1772 L1/L2 connector for the new L1/L2/L3 connector.

It seems the real challenge might be the PR effects of a retrofit rather than the physical installation of whichever connector becomes the standard. (Remember the MiniE negative publicity when the EVSE wiring came thru the UL process after the cars were delivered?)

I'll know more after the Aug SAE meeting.

Andy

LakeLeaf said:
EVDRIVER said:

Some of the people very early to the reservation process did see that Fast Charging would be an additional cost option on the SL. We've discussed this (almost ad nauseum now) in several threads, so I'm not going to rehash it again.

The bottom line is that it was shown that way for a short while. Then it was removed, leading us to think that it would be an included item on both models. And now it seems the idea of it being an extra charge option on the SL only is back.

Edit: And I'm still trying to get confirmation directly from Nissan.

Back