One more advantage of ACC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

If you go to the insurance institute for highway safety site and compare the 2016 Volt with all the safety features (minus ACC, which was not offered in 2016) to the 2017 with all safety features and ACC, the difference in high speed performance is dramatic. This is an ACC performance question many have asked but have not had a definitive answer. Even if you do not plan to use ACC, this is a good reason to get it... YMMV on other vehicles, of course!

BTW, 2016 Volt uses cameras, 2017 uses cameras plus radar.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...hatchback/2017

2017 Volt with ACC
Overall evaluation

Crash avoidance rating
Superior
with optional
equipment
6 points total
Forward collision warning
This system meets the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's criteria for forward collision warning.
1 point
Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 2 points
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 3 points

2016 Volt without ACC
Overall evaluation

Crash avoidance rating
Advanced
with optional
equipment
4 points total
Forward collision warning
This system meets the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's criteria for forward collision warning.
1 point
Low-speed autobrake
In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision. 2 points
High-speed autobrake
In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 5 mph. 1 point

For freeway driving, you have two main hazards... Rear-ending the vehicle in front of you, and side collision due to lane changing. If you rear-end a tractor trailer, unless that reinforcing bar at the bottom is one of the newer more reinforced ones, you're likely dead. This feature is now a minimum required feature in my purchasing decision, especially with Tesla's version able to bounce the radar underneath the vehicle in front of it to watch 2 vehicles ahead.

I'm hoping these features become standard on all vehicles very soon, it will save many lives.

Back